PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian Hotel room preference

bduff
03-11-2006, 05:44 AM
We're staying at the GCH in May. For our family (2 kids), the bunk bed room configuration is ideal. But you can only request that as a preference, they don't actually reserve specific room types for you.

We stayed at the GCH in 9/04, and had put in the request for the bunk beds for that trip when we first made the reservation, reinforced that when we called a week or so before our trip, and then arranged our flight so that we were checking in by mid-afternoon, a little ahead of the when the official check in. We still initially got aced out of a bunk bed room. The best they could do is switch us after our first night, which was a big, fat hassle.

Since then, I read somewhere - and I think it was on this board - about a way you can call the GCH directly the night before your stay, or maybe it was the morning of, and in essence do an early check-in over the phone when they are first making room assignments for the day. Does that ring any bells with anyone? If yes, I'd love to hear about it again.

DisneyPeachee
03-11-2006, 06:21 AM
I don't know the answer to this question. However, we are leaving (from Arizona) a day early (today) and staying at a different hotel in the area tonight so that we can be at the Grand Californian early tomorrow morning to check in. We have a reservation for the week and requested bunk beds. We know that the hotel won't guarantee a bunk bed room so that's why we are trying to get there early to increase our chances of getting it, especially since they are booked up for the week. We have 3 kids, so bunk beds are . . . essential!!! :rolleyes:

Susan L
03-11-2006, 09:52 AM
None of the DLR hotels guarantee room request. I have found, if you check in very early in the morning you have a better chance of get your room request. Also if you check in on a Sun, Mon, or Tues you also have a better chance at getting that room you want.

vicbella2
03-11-2006, 02:10 PM
None of the DLR hotels guarantee room request. I have found, if you check in very early in the morning you have a better chance of get your room request. Also if you check in on a Sun, Mon, or Tues you also have a better chance at getting that room you want.

That's exactly what we did on our last trip, Oct '05. We checked in on a Sunday morning (8am). Room wasn't ready til noon (which was great, since we weren't expecting til 3pm). We had requested a bunkbed room near the elevators and ended up getting that. Our balcony (4th floor) was on top of the valet/main entrance of the hotel. Our door opened up to the great hearth. It was exactly what we wanted and we had so much fun during our stay here.

Jewels
03-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Since then, I read somewhere - and I think it was on this board - about a way you can call the GCH directly the night before your stay, or maybe it was the morning of, and in essence do an early check-in over the phone when they are first making room assignments for the day. Does that ring any bells with anyone? If yes, I'd love to hear about it again.

We stayed there is November. On the reservation letter they sent there was a number to call to check in about 2 hours before you arrived. We did not use it so I don't know if it would get you the bunk room or not but it is worth a try.