PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain's 25th Anniversary

Clint
04-11-2002, 08:16 PM
It's next month, people! The question is, when? Dave Smith's Disney A-Z says Space Mountain opened May 4, 1977, but the Space Mountain issue of E-Ticket said it was May 27. These are both reliable sources, but which is correct?
The reason I'm asking is because I bet Disneyland has something special planned for Space Mountain's anniversary (whichever day it is) and I would like to be there for an attraction's anniversary (like Haunted Mansion's 30th 3 years ago) because I never have been before, and also because Space Mountain is my third favorite attraction in the park. So please somebody super smart find out what day it is and if I can't be there that day then hopefully somebody who will be there can tell me how it was.

Matterhorn Fan
04-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Disneyland: The Nickel Tour says it was May 27.

disneyholic family
04-11-2002, 08:34 PM
did you mean to write 1977?

just out of curiousity, what's your first and second favorite rides? (i'll guess indiana and splash...or maybe matterhorn)....

Clint
04-11-2002, 08:43 PM
Yes I did mean to write 1977, thank you. My first 2 favorites are Haunted Mansion and Indiana Jones Adventure. My favorite used to be Rocket Rods, before it closed.

disneyholic family
04-11-2002, 08:54 PM
well i guess i'll never get to try out rocket rods...
was it much different from the people mover?

Clint
04-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Oh yes. Rocket Rods was a great deal faster. I was going to say it was better, but since I never got a chance to ride PeopleMover, I have no business making that judgment.
Rocket Rods was so fun, I miss it so much!

disneyholic family
04-11-2002, 09:03 PM
i can't imagine WDW without the people mover....it's definitely one of our favorites...even though it's slow.....there's something very relaxing about it....and the non-existent line doesn't hurt either...

Nigel2
04-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Since I have been on both I would say RR is slightyly better since it had a greater thrill to it.

Uncle Dick
04-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Since I have been on both I would say RR is slightyly better since it had a greater thrill to it.
More thrill perhaps but it lacked any practical use outside of the park and was, in fact, an engineering mess, the exact opposite of the efficiency that the PeopleMover stood for.

The PeopleMover provided a nice, peaceful ride around the rooftops of Tomorrowland with a nifty narration and awesome music. The World of TRON alone made the ride worth the (non-existant) wait. The Rocket Rods were largely inferior.

Nigel2
04-11-2002, 10:08 PM
See it is a matter of opinion... but RR were supposed to be a bigger draw (and they were, for their short lifespan) but yeah they were poorly designed since they probably were very limited in the resource department.

merlinjones
04-12-2002, 12:58 AM
Ah... I remember when Space Mountain opened. What a cool addition to TL... and the Space Stage pavillion beneath SM was so wonderfuly designed, with the multi tiered walkways to view shows, and open air view of the mountain above the stage, people mover whizzing by above.

The design of this area has never recovered from the ill-advised enclosing of that space for Captain Eo, leaving strange enclosures, deserted plateaus and dead end cubby holes in its wake, rather than the beautiful open public space that was designed for TL.