PDA

View Full Version : Ride a Piece of DRR History!

smd4
03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
In early May, folks will have a chance to ride in Disneyland's original passenger cars, which now belong to a private collector in Santa Margarita, near San Luis Obispo on California's Central Coast.

These cars, know originally by CMs as "Retlaw 1," were traded away for what would eventully be the engine that became the Ward Kimball.

The last car of the set is the Lilly Belle. So, if you can't get a ride in the plush observation car, get up to Santa Margarita for a ride in the "coach" section!

http://slorrm.com/media/roundupflyer05.pdf

Opus1guy
03-10-2006, 05:22 PM
These cars, know originally by CMs as "Retlaw 1," were traded away...

Every so often many years ago while backstage at Disneyland, we'd go pay a visit to the old yellow cars which were sitting in a storage area/room at the very rear of the Disneyland Railroad/Monorail Barn. The storage area doors where always wide open and the minute you'd walk in there...you could just smell the history! It was like stumbling upon some ancient archaeological find! ;)

The cars where filthy with dust inside and out, and they used the interiors for storage of this 'n that. But it was always a treat to visit those poor old boys that this poor young boy used to ride in at Disneyland many times in the early years.

So glad they're back riding the rails! :) I'll definitely try to pay them a visit on my next pass through the wine country up there. Might even schedule a trip for that Roundup in May they're advertising! Nice country, BBQ and riding the Retlaws! Yeah...I could be persuaded. :)

Thanks for the news! :)