PDA

View Full Version : Snow Day in San Diego! Do you think they will go to Disneyland?

MsYumiBr
03-10-2006, 06:41 AM
They closed four schools that I know of in San Diego. Do you think they will go to the park today?

Matt Hamand
03-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Long trip from Julian to DL.

MsYumiBr
03-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Is the trip as long as from San Diego to Disneyland? I've never been to Julian or the surrounding areas.

Matt Hamand
03-10-2006, 08:13 AM
From my house in Penasquitos its about 70-90 minutes, traffic depending. From Julian, add at least half an hour, more like 45 minutes. Especially if there is snow in the passes, rain on the freeways, and rush hour traffic.

And you have to go through it again on the trip home.

That's a pretty long drive for a day trip.

darph nader
03-11-2006, 02:53 PM
It SNOWS in San Diego??? Years ago we hit snow between El Centro and SD in Feb. That was a given,it rained 3 days while we were there. I'm sorry it snowed on the way home.:eek:

mi_mous
03-11-2006, 04:10 PM
We went yesterday, and it was soo nice! Nobody was there hardly. And, it didn't rain most of the time we were there.

We left from Ramona, and a car pulled in with snow on it from Julian.

I go all the time from Ramona, it takes about 1 1/2 hours, to 2 hours... depending on traffic.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-11-2006, 05:06 PM
even with the four schools closed, there really aren't that many students in the "backcountry".

Where it is going to be crowded, the mountains in San Diego county, its the first real snow we've had in awhile and if it sticks, the kids will be cutting out to go to the hills!!!!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Snow in San Diego!? WOW! I bet there was some crazy driving going on there! LOL

Matt Hamand
03-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Other snow stories.

This weekend my dad and sister were in Arizona for Padres spring training. At 4:30 this morning hotel security chased off a guy trying to break into my sisters car. He damaged the steering column so badly the car has to be towed home. Only they can't because the roads are closed by snow. So they're staying at the Yuma HoJos.

mi_mous
03-11-2006, 07:49 PM
My friend told me today that her friends in Julian got 16 inches of snow. That's a ton!
Needless to say, they were snowed in.

But, I don't know how relevant that story is, that is just what she told me this morning.

Wendi
03-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I drove the Grapevine this morning... it was SNOWING... and then an enormous hail storm pelted down on us and the car in front of me spun out, kept spinning and hitting the center divide and spinning and hitting again and again. Totally destroyed the front and rear end of his car... and I was almost certain that I'd collide with him too, but luckily we didn't hit, we sure came close though, it was scary. When we both came to a stop, he was facing me in the fast lane/center shoulder. Yikes!

MortgageMan
03-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Just to clarify, it snows in the higher elevation mountains in northeastern San Diego County. These areas are about 30 to 50 miles from central San Diego. It does not snow in central, city limits of San Diego.

It is, however, in the mid forties here today which means we are freezing our butts off.

mi_mous
03-11-2006, 07:54 PM
It is, however, in the mid forties here today which means we are freezing our butts off.

You can say that again! I'm in Ramona, and we are FREEZING!!!

mi_mous
03-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I drove the Grapevine this morning... it was SNOWING... and then an enormous hail storm pelted down on us and the car in front of me spun out, kept spinning and hitting the center divide and spinning and hitting again and again. Totally destroyed the front and rear end of his car... and I was almost certain that I'd collide with him too, but luckily we didn't hit, we sure came close though, it was scary. When we both came to a stop, he was facing me in the fast lane/center shoulder. Yikes!

How scary! Glad you are both OK!

MammaSilva
03-11-2006, 08:02 PM
As another person that crossed the grapevine today, there were a LOT of accidents evident on the pass...most of it from people not paying attention to the road conditions.

TahoeBob
03-11-2006, 08:31 PM
It is, however, in the mid forties here today which means we are freezing our butts off. the mid 40's thats a hot spell. just checked the temp and it is 14 outside right now, the high today was 24, but I live at Lake Tahoe and we are at 6300 feet.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Rain in Phoenix, snow in San Diego and SUN in Seattle? What's happening??? ;) (A happy Seattleite!) ;)

mi_mous
03-11-2006, 09:46 PM
the mid 40's thats a hot spell. just checked the temp and it is 14 outside right now, the high today was 24, but I live at Lake Tahoe and we are at 6300 feet.

I heard you guys are getting a lot of snow right now. My MIL lives there.

MsYumiBr
03-12-2006, 06:16 AM
I should have said San Diego county in the original post. It does seem a bit misleading. It does hail here though briefly on occasion and I did hear it has snowed in San Diego proper many years ago. We are in Coronado and my husband and I were debating whether it was hail or not that woke us up yesterday.

The old man
03-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Snow in San Diego!? WOW! I bet there was some crazy driving going on there! LOL
Just to straighten this out. It did not snow in the city of San Diego. Nor did it snow in 95% of San Diego County. It did snow in the mountains down to about 2,000 feet. Most of San Diego is no more than 10 to 100 feet above sea level. The schools that closed were at the high elevations--Example: Julian is up in the mountains.

There were a number of hail episodes that left white stuff behind that one could think was snow. As you know hail usually occurs when the weather is above freezing.

The numerous traffic acidents that happened happen anytime it so much as sprinkles here.

David

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-13-2006, 12:21 PM
so I guess what all of us from San Diego seemed to be saying, the snow in the mountains wouldn't put a bit of a dent in DL attendance.

It did snow all the way down to the east end of Alpine, but I believe thats as low as the snow did go.

Yes there was some crazy driving going on, people head to the hills, don't take their chains and pull over wherever they see the fluffy white cold stuff, lot's of traffic jams out in the hills this weekend.

HTanner
03-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey, it snowed in San Francisco this weekend. About 10 blocks from Ocean Beach. Now that is wild. And, they are predicting more snow this week. In San Francisco???? We get fog, but I've lived here 33 years and never had snow before!

Susan L
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
They closed four schools that I know of in San Diego. Do you think they will go to the park today?

This just cracked me up. You flatlanders are funny. We have four feet of snow on the ground right now in the No. Sierra's (5100 feet) and more falling as I type this and our schools are open, no snow day here. I'm sure TahoeBob has even more then us seeing he is at 6300 feet. As a matter of fact we never have snow days, only if the power goes out before school starts.

mi_mous
03-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Here are some pictures (http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcsmbNs1bN2IT&notag=1) that I took today, it's really odd to see this in San Diego.

MrsPooh
03-14-2006, 01:46 PM
the mid 40's thats a hot spell. just checked the temp and it is 14 outside right now, the high today was 24, but I live at Lake Tahoe and we are at 6300 feet.

TahoeBob, I am in Reno, and frankly, pretty tired of the snow. How about you?