PDA

View Full Version : Best "Cheap" hotel near Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

I Heart Disneyland!
03-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey folks! Hubby and I (pending his approval!;)) may take a short trip to DL in April. Our normal digs in town, at Homewood Suites is CONSIDERABLY higher priced than usual. We are used to paying $119 a night for the 2 room suite and that week it's $189! Yikes!

So, I am looking for a nice, CLEAN (VERY CLEAN) hotel near DL, that isn't $200 a night. More in the $120 category. Any thoughts you'd care to share???

Thanks a bunch!

raych30
03-09-2006, 11:31 PM
In October, we stayed at the Anaheim Plaza and Suites. VERY affordable and nice sized clean rooms. It's about a 10 min. walk to the parks. My kids loved the gift shop and the breakfast buffet. There are many other hotels right around that area, so good luck and have a wonderul time. :)

I Heart Disneyland!
03-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Thank you so much! They have wonderful rates!!! :) :) Hope we can go! It's a short trip, only 5 days...we are used to at least 10 days, so, it will be hard to tear ourselves away!

junglemom
03-10-2006, 05:10 AM
We do Priceline since we have the parking pass. We have gotten an amazing hotel evrytime and always $50 or less. Just make sure you do 3 star. You aren't given a choice of hotels, so I guess it's a bit of a gamble. We have won the Hyatt Regency twice, the Crown Plaza, and my friend won the Doubtle Tree, all three were great! For bidding tips see this site (www.betterbidding.com). Good luck and have a blast!!!

DrivingtoDisneyAZ
03-10-2006, 05:51 AM
We do Priceline since we have the parking pass. We have gotten an amazing hotel evrytime and always $50 or less. Just make sure you do 3 star. You aren't given a choice of hotels, so I guess it's a bit of a gamble. We have won the Hyatt Regency twice, the Crown Plaza, and my friend won the Doubtle Tree, all three were great! For bidding tips see this site (www.betterbidding.com). Good luck and have a blast!!!

Question: I'm looking at your avatar and see you're a family of six. How does that work with Priceline? I've always been hesitant to use it based on my family size (soon to be six, though my kiddos are younger than yours). Do you bid on one room and hope for the best? Two rooms and request connecting rooms? Help!!!

momuvseven
03-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Jungle mom you have a great looking family!

We have a big family, never less than six or seven of us going to Disneyland. We used to use Priceline and it was great UNTIL they changed the rules. Used to be quarenteed at least two beds but now they only quarentee that the room will sleep two adults. Years ago we used to get suite style rooms for $40 a night on Priceline. Thought I would try again this year and ended up in a studio room at Candlewood Suites in Garden Grove by the Amtrak station. Not even close to Disneyland yet when you select Disneyland area on Priceline it includes these hotels that are miles away. So be careful. I am out non refundable, non transferable $291. I have tried to give this room away to friends and no takers since it is not on the shuttle route. The only offer the hotel made was for me to buy a second adjoining room. We ended up buying a package for the Homewood instead and still came out ahead $$$$.

Some places we have liked that will sleep six are the Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Comfort Inn Maingate, Aneheim Islander, Best Western Raffles (ask for the top floor), Quinta Suites and Holiday Express. I hihgly recommend calling GetAwayToday Travel (phone # is on their website). They have consistently gotten me the best deals. They can get me the best rooms and tickets for a family of six (four considered adults over age 9 and two children's tickets) for about $1000 for five nights. That includes multi day parkhoppers, character breakfast, shuttle tickets and complimentary hotel breakfast. You can cancel or reshedule for a $50 penalty instead of risking all your money by paying ahead on other sites. The other benefit is they will book a package with a $150 deposit so again I can book something tenative months in advance and I don't worry about paying until thirty days ahead of travel.

Have fun!

momuvseven

66Champs
03-10-2006, 07:15 AM
About fifteen minutes away, the Best Western Norwalk on Firestone Blvd (just off the 605) is a solid value, usually in the $65 / $75 range. Clean, courteous, nice breakfast buffet, larger rooms (two queens instead of fulls), nice pool. It's a motel, but the furnishings and decor are just a little upscale and it feels like you're staying in a nice place.

junglemom
03-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Question: I'm looking at your avatar and see you're a family of six. How does that work with Priceline? I've always been hesitant to use it based on my family size (soon to be six, though my kiddos are younger than yours). Do you bid on one room and hope for the best? Two rooms and request connecting rooms? Help!!!

Being the tightwads we are we always get just one room. The kids are now 10, 6, 5 and 3. We always called the hotel we won immediately and requested 2 beds. In the 3 star hotels I have found so far that we keep getting 2 queens. Then we take our twin inflatable mattress. This always manages to be enough for us. It may change as they get a little older, but honestly they'd sleep on the floor to go to Disneyland. Kinda like camping ya know. Plus, we don't really care if we get a suite since we are really only there to sleep and sometimes to catch a cheap lunch away from the park. I personally will do priceline from now on.

junglemom
03-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Jungle mom you have a great looking family!
momuvseven

Thank you!:)

Malcon10t
03-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Hey folks! Hubby and I (pending his approval!;)) may take a short trip to DL in April. Our normal digs in town, at Homewood Suites is CONSIDERABLY higher priced than usual. We are used to paying $119 a night for the 2 room suite and that week it's $189! Yikes!

So, I am looking for a nice, CLEAN (VERY CLEAN) hotel near DL, that isn't $200 a night. More in the $120 category. Any thoughts you'd care to share???

Thanks a bunch!We've stayed at both the Park Inn (love it) and the Anaheim Desert Inn, and we were very happy with both. The Desert Inn ran $129 for a mini suite and the Park Inn was $99 for 2 queens.

rentayenta
03-10-2006, 08:02 AM
I have only stayed at two off site properties: The HoJo and The Coast Anaheim. I really liked the HoJo- the walk at the end of the night is no picnic but if I can do it with three kids- you can do it. ;)

The Coast Anaheim was a pit. The lobby was nice but the room was dirt.

When in April????

JookyG
03-10-2006, 10:04 AM
I always stay at the Tropicana, which is right at the crosswalk on Harbor. 5 minute walk to the esplanade, which in my opinion is worth paying the $25-ish premium for staying on "the strip." It's typically $99/night, plus taxes.

The rooms are clean (at least I've never had trouble), they include a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Free continental breakfast, which is sub-par but whose isnt? And the staff will remove the child-pee-proof plastic sheets from the beds upon request.

Wait a sec...why am I giving up my favorite lodging secret? NOBODY STAY AT THE TROPICANA! I don't want it to get too crowded or the rates to go up.

:)

MammaSilva
03-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Another vote for the Tropicana here.... we've stayed in their suites which is really just two rooms with a kick butt mini kitchen tucked behind the stairwell conecting the two rooms ...and in 'single rooms' best rate I could get in april for the suite was 205 a night but that's for a King/queen queen with the kitchen, two full bathrooms and two coffee makers...you get the picturel.. I agree the breakfast isn't worth the trip to the 3rd floor but if all you need is some sugar/carbs to get you kick started it's enough. Location is hard to beat, there are only 2 hotels closer to the cross walk and I've stayed at both, both were more expensive and not significantly nicer to justify the extra expense IMHO. I just canceled a room for this weekend since Miss B and I managed to get sick on our trip so we're cutting it short and going home tomorrow, but we'll be there in April for sure..

princessfiona
03-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Are you a subscriber at Mousesavers? If not, join there and you'll get e-mails with special deals that aren't on the main site. It was by far the best deal I could find!

nvmom
03-10-2006, 08:03 PM
We just stayed a family suite (2 rooms) at the Park Inn. It is an older property, motel -outside doors and nothing fancy... but is was clean. They're in the midst of a refurb. We didn't get a newly refurbed room, so the carpet & furniture was worn, but the the room was clean. Linens were nice & fresh. Lots of towels. Bathroom was very clean. Nice big vanity/counter outside the tub/shower room. Close walk. We'd stay there again. If you have specific ?s- I'd be happy to answer.

nvmom

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I am a clean freak. I wipe down every table we eat at, and use the antibacterial hand soap 1000 times a day, especially while at DL, and I have always been very pleased with the cleanliness of HoJo's. We always stay in building 2 and the rooms are spacious and clean. The rates are very reasonable too. The staff is amazing.

GrumpyUTboi
03-11-2006, 04:55 AM
Tropicana Inn or Fairfield Inn

Klutch
03-11-2006, 09:00 AM
What, no votes for Candy Cane? Although it's an older place, like many in the area, during my stay the Candy Cane was clean, clean, clean.

They also have a top notch free breakfast.

Malcon10t
03-11-2006, 09:33 AM
What, no votes for Candy Cane? Although it's an older place, like many in the area, during my stay the Candy Cane was clean, clean, clean.

They also have a top notch free breakfast.They do and they are, but I don't think they meet the "Cheap" qualification. They are very clean and it is an excellent. Beautiful setting.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-11-2006, 10:31 AM
When in April????

Sadly, probably not at all now. :( I was going to use air miles to pay for the tickets (meaning FREE) and United is completely booked up of their free mileage tickets during the 5 days we'd be able to go. :(

So, thanks for the suggestions. I will keep them for future use! Or, maybe someone else can benefit from them. :)

I Heart Disneyland!
03-11-2006, 10:32 AM

They also have a top notch free breakfast.

CLEAN is my main objective! I'd pay $40 more, per day, for cleanliness!!!!!

Hakuna Makarla
03-11-2006, 11:11 AM
I am so sorry you can not go:( I hope you can go again soon, save those tickets girlie, you will be able to use them next time :)

I Heart Disneyland!
03-11-2006, 11:20 AM
I am so sorry you can not go:( I hope you can go again soon, save those tickets girlie, you will be able to use them next time :)

I will DEFINITELY be getting my United FREE tickets for November, and I will be doing it early. In fact, I should start looking now! ;)

JookyG
03-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I am a clean freak. I wipe down every table we eat at, and use the antibacterial hand soap 1000 times a day, especially while at DL, and I have always been very pleased with the cleanliness of HoJo's. We always stay in building 2 and the rooms are spacious and clean. The rates are very reasonable too. The staff is amazing.

According to Bill Nye the Science Guy...antibacterial hand soap is only a miniscule percentage more effective than washing your hands with soap and water, and frequent use of it causes the bacteria to become resistant and able to defeat it. Granted it's a good idea in moderation when traveling and exposed to large numbers of people, but if kids aren't exposed to enough germs, they'll never build up normal immunities and will be more susceptible to illness later in life.

momuvseven
03-11-2006, 03:00 PM
At home I'm a clean freak but other than a daily shower and swim my kids don't wash their hands the entire time they're at Disney. We're just too busy LOL. None of us ever gets sick from anything.

momuvseven