PDA

View Full Version : The Current Situation at Disneyland.

Pages : [1] 2

MonorailGuy82
03-09-2006, 09:51 PM
So this has had me thinking for a while now and I would like to open it up for discussion. We are all very aware of the many changes taking place at Disneyland in the coming months. Many of these changes involve some of our favorite, classic attractions. Now here is what I am having a hard time dealing with...

Disneyland, as we all know, is celebrating its 50th anniversary. This is obviously attracting people to come and experience the celebration. Many of these people don't make it to Disneyland very often making this celebration a once in a lifetime event, and in many cases I'm sure this is a one in a lifetime opportunity to see Disneyland. For some reason I feel, in a perfect world, Disneyland should have gotten everything up to par before the celebration making sure that everything was in good condition and running throughout the entire celebration. Kind of like a very long summer season. We all know that the off-peak season is when most refurbishments are carried out and everything is usually up and running by late spring and early summer. I'm having a hard time understanding why Disney has decided to make some of the biggest changes ever, to some of the most popular, classic rides and attractions during this big 50th celebration. I know that change must happen. I accept that Disneyland will always be changing and I understand why these changes are taking place. But why now?? Some of the things I am talking about include, POTC changes, Haunted Mansion changes, Monorail shuttle mode and eventual temporary shutdown before returning with new trains and a new station etc. These are fairly significant changes and they are affecting guests experiences. I have already heard guests comment, and express their disappointment in regards to certain attractions they were looking forward to either being closed, or affected by changes around the park. I am a frequent visitor to Disneyland these days, but I could imagine that if I was only able to make it out once in say 5 years or so, that I would be very disappointed that during the 50th anniversary celebration, my Disneyland experience has been affected by changes happening around the park.

I just feel that Disneyland should really be healthy during a celebration like this. It should really shine. Not be hampered by closures and those obvious signs of construction.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to open this up for discussion.

PeoplemoverMisser
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
It feels to me - and I have no evidence to prove this - that they planned all this stuff for 2006 (the 51st year) many years ago when budgets & planning were set. Then, somewhere along the line, they noticed hotel bookings & presales for the 50th year at a larger-than-expected rate. So having the 50th celebration last an extra summer became a late decision after all this HUGE stuff was in the pipeline (monorail, Space Mountain, Pirates)

Just spit-balling, but that's what it feels like.

DaddyB
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Keep in mind that almost nothing was going to be done for the 50th except for a whole lot of marketing and new trinkets in the stores... oh, and a new parade.

No paint anywhere
No new Fireworks
No Painted Castle wit new roofing (not including the crowns, just new paint and tile roof!)
No refurb of existing (and rotting) attractions
No "Monster's"
No Space Mountain
and certainly NO work being done in the subs area

the list goes on. While it may be dissapointing for a one time guests to come to the park and see that "Pirates" is down, or that HM took a month so long to come back from it's un-dressing from HMH, Disneyland is looking like a shiny penny (or a gold dollar if you prefer) compared to how it looked in July of 2003. All the construction and work being done adds a certain excitement to the park that was not there before. It's obvious to guests that this wasn't a whole lot of marketing hokum just to get them through the door. "The old girl is beautiful and she's still having work done, so come on back in a couple years and see what she looks like then!"

Disneyland had a lot of construction going on still the first year of it's opening (and I'm not talking about just opening day, either) and well beyond.

I am very pleased at what's happening in the parks, and I'm excited for it.

MonorailGuy82
03-09-2006, 10:33 PM
It feels to me - and I have no evidence to prove this - that they planned all this stuff for 2006 (the 51st year) many years ago when budgets & planning were set. Then, somewhere along the line, they noticed hotel bookings & presales for the 50th year at a larger-than-expected rate. So having the 50th celebration last an extra summer became a late decision after all this HUGE stuff was in the pipeline (monorail, Space Mountain, Pirates)

Just spit-balling, but that's what it feels like.

Well TECHNICALLY, the 51st year of operation begins July 2006. But I see your point.

MonorailGuy82
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Keep in mind that almost nothing was going to be done for the 50th except for a whole lot of marketing and new trinkets in the stores... oh, and a new parade.

No paint anywhere
No new Fireworks
No Painted Castle wit new roofing (not including the crowns, just new paint and tile roof!)
No refurb of existing (and rotting) attractions
No "Monster's"
No Space Mountain
and certainly NO work being done in the subs area

the list goes on. While it may be dissapointing for a one time guests to come to the park and see that "Pirates" is down, or that HM took a month so long to come back from it's un-dressing from HMH, Disneyland is looking like a shiny penny (or a gold dollar if you prefer) compared to how it looked in July of 2003. All the construction and work being done adds a certain excitement to the park that was not there before. It's obvious to guests that this wasn't a whole lot of marketing hokum just to get them through the door. "The old girl is beautiful and she's still having work done, so come on back in a couple years and see what she looks like then!"

Disneyland had a lot of construction going on still the first year of it's opening (and I'm not talking about just opening day, either) and well beyond.

I am very pleased at what's happening in the parks, and I'm excited for it.

I wasn't aware that nothing was going to be done...

But I do think the park looks great and I love the new paint. I've been looking at pictures of 2003 and 2004 and my what a difference.

PeoplemoverMisser
03-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Well TECHNICALLY, the 51st year of operation begins July 2006. But I see your point.

You caught me - I hate when places and organizations (sports teams are awful about it) call their 10th year the Anniversary. The Seahawks finally make the Super Bowl, and for the rest of my life my Super Bowl 40 cap will say "40th Anniversary".

I should hold myself to the same standard. I meant 50th Birthday

Claudia@BA
03-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Not sure where the 'nothing' being done comes from. Back in high summer 2003 when we took our last trip Space Mountain was closed and the CM I asked told me it was all in prep for the 50th, so that was planned. We were very disapointed however you do have to accept that work has to be done even in peak season and I think change is good! :D

geoffa
03-10-2006, 02:42 AM

The anniversary was July 17th 2005. But typically Disney has to drag this out to almost 18 months so they get a return on their investment. Surely one year would have been more than enough? But no, let's "flog a dead horse" and screw every last cent out of it that we can instead of coming up with something new for 2006. So when they take down rides to make them over this late into the celebration I can't say I'm surprised. For us mere mortals who live 4,000 miles away it is disappointing, when we visit, to always find some ride or show being closed for refurb, makeover or whatever. You just have to live with it. I'm one of the few that think POTC will be improved for adding the new "Johnny Depp" elements. Disneyland ain't a museum. As someone suggested on another thread turn DCA into Disney Retroland for all of you who want to dwell in the past.:rolleyes:

PeopleMoverMisser said: "I hate when places and organizations (sports teams are awful about it) call their 10th year the Anniversary."

I agree. It was the same with the Millenium. 2000 was the wrong year. It also gets my goat that a Disney film comes out at theaters, it bombs (Haunted Mansion is a good example) and then it gets released on DVD as a "Disney CLASSIC". How can something under 12 months old be a classic?:confused:

Do these marketing guys think we all have "Stupid" stamped on our foreheads?:D

RStar
03-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Well, the POTC change is to coincide with the movie, so that's "why now?", at least for that one.

Perhaps if we cared so much about the guest experience for those going for the first or only time, all of us passholders should stay away untill the 50th celebration is over ;).

~Bob

Gone2Disneyland
03-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Generally speaking, I think we Mousepadders can get impatient with things Disneyland. We visit these boards and read and read and read, then learn all these details about the park, changes, opinions, rumors. And then we get caught up with it. I think we sorta take things too seriously. I would speculate that most guests aren't as informed and colored by the discussions that take place here. They're fairly glad to be a part of the celebration at all.

Disneyland is a park that should evolve with the times, as Walt hoped. Changes happen, and those changes can interfere with our park visits. It's a drag but I don't see how Disneyland can accomodate that. Heck, I was bummed after getting my first annual pass to realize there were rehab closure. But what're you gonna do? I'm grateful they take the time to do that. And I think that now Disneyland is trying their best to stagger rehab closures as best as possiblej.

As for changes during the "50th Anniversary Celebration," PotC is happening because of the new movie, and PotC would be closed for rehab anyway. So I don't see the problem, and I'm looking forward to what they reveal. The monorail closure is a fact of us getting the Subs back. Fine with me. Maybe this is too cynical, but Disney marketing is relentless, but I've come to accept it, tolerate it, ignore it. I'm just glad I'm able to enjoy the park, because I know many reading here would love to be in my shoes and live thirty minutes away, with annual passport in pocket, going as often as I get to go.

I second DaddyB's comments about all we've gotten with the new paint and beautiful, beautiful park. I remember when just recently it didn't look that way. I may not have noticed it as dramatically then, but it's certainly nice to realize the comparisons now. And I can't forget that as I read comments on things some wish were different about Disneyland. And with all I've "learned" visiting here on MousePad, it seems we've gotten a lot more in the park for the Celebration than was previously, miserly budgeted. :)

Pat-n-Eil
03-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I get the feeling that the OP thinks that during the 50th anniversary event, everything should be up and operational. I think that whether or not the new POTC movie was coming out or whether or not changes were planned for HM - refurbishments are a necessary part of maintenance. Disneyland couldn't operate at full tilt for 18 months running without compromising maintenance.

It wasn't that long ago that we were all complaining about poor maintenance of rides, paint, main street, lack of anything happening in Tomorrowland and bemoaning other aspects of the park. The new management team is, in my opinion, doing a terriffic job. Castmember Matt and his group have taken charge of getting the park back to its former glory and are making it happen.

I think it is true - and fits in with Walt's vision that: The only constant in life is change.

bekky
03-10-2006, 10:44 AM
WELL - there was such a rush for us all (out of towners) to go for the
BIG 50th that now they are going to need to create some kind of buzz to get people excited about going back AFTER the celebration is over.

Of course Disneyland will never be slow or have a problem with visitors to the park ...
BUT it only makes sense that they are already working on building & promoting the NEW RIDES etc to get people anxious to come back.

& this way - they will be able to do that right away ... Im actually waiting to see what kind of marketing they are going to be coming out with to promote the AFTER THE 50TH stuff

StyledSugar
03-10-2006, 11:01 AM
BIG 50th that now they are going to need to create some kind of buzz to get people excited about going back AFTER the celebration is over.

Of course Disneyland will never be slow or have a problem with visitors to the park ...
BUT it only makes sense that they are already working on building & promoting the NEW RIDES etc to get people anxious to come back.

& this way - they will be able to do that right away ... Im actually waiting to see what kind of marketing they are going to be coming out with to promote the AFTER THE 50TH stuff

I think you're totally right. We were just there in February and were very disappointed that the HM was closed. It has always been one of my favorites. I do understand that changes and stuff have to be made but I really wish it didn't have to be done during MY vacation. LOL That being said, I am now more excited about going back than I ever have been before. Disneyland improves each and everytime I go and I'm really looking forward to going back next year to see the stuff that has been changed.

disneyhound
03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Not sure where the 'nothing' being done comes from. Back in high summer 2003 when we took our last trip Space Mountain was closed and the CM I asked told me it was all in prep for the 50th, so that was planned. We were very disapointed however you do have to accept that work has to be done even in peak season and I think change is good! :D

The CM might have told you they were "preping" SM for the 50th, but the track was failing and had to be completely re-built; was not a "plan" for the 50th...

JookyG
03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I can't agree much with the original post. I only get to the park once every year or two, but I always find it exciting when things are under construction, because that means the next time I visit, I'll have something to look forward to. If I only went once in my life, sure, I might be a little disappointed by a ride or two being closed, but how could I hold it against Disney when I can see that their work to continually bring new attractions to me is ever ongoing?

There will always be guests who are disapointed by one thing or another and feel they need to complain about it, and of course it's disappointing when a favorite ride is closed, but it's hard to justify ignorance when there's so much information on the internet about what's going on. If you save for years to go to Disneyland, it behooves you to also do your homework. I had no one to blame but myself when I went to the park in 2003 and was blindsided by the fact that Space Mountain (my favorite) was closed. Oh, the agony! But had I known, I still would have chosen to visit at that time, and I alone was responsible for that decision and had no justification to complain. At the same time, I couldn't have been more thrilled to know that my favorite attraction was being reborn, and I must say it was WELL worth the wait.

Disneyland sorely needed sprucing up, and if we got nothing else out of the anniversary celebration, it's worth it for that. I've never seen the park look so good! I've never seen the park so healthy! Construction walls and refurbs are one of the biggest signs of health at Disneyland--it's proof that the company is still committed to providing a great guest experience.. Construction walls around the sub lagoon, an attraction that had been closed for quite some time? Great! And finding out that it's not being paved-over to build a toddler playground (like at WDW)? Fantastic! Closure and changes to Pirates? Well, there is a new movie coming out, after all, and more changes that I look forward to. Updates to the Haunted Mansion? It's about time! We've come a long way since reflections in glass was high-tech.

The fact that nothing was closed for refurb from May through the end of 2005 is amazing. My visit last December was the first time I've ever been there and none of the operational rides were closed. It was wonderful, and I have the anniversary to thank for that. The extension of the celebration into 2006 is a bonus. If a few attractions are closed, so be it.

I think Disney played it just right. If I were to complain about anything, it would be the lack of planning for crowd control issues around the new fireworks show. That did more to disappoint me and negatively impact my visit than any ride closure would.

Here's hoping the new regime will keep it up!

nightdesigns
03-10-2006, 02:06 PM

But they have. I think it's all planned (although I do think it was all re-planned after the fact).

The early 50th anniversary visitors paid to see the park May 6th. Space opened, they returned, monsters opened and they returned again.

The rehashing of Pirates, Rock-It Mountain, Haunted Mansion, and TOT will bring guests back. The trick is to keep releasing things to get people to come back every few months.

I think the reason a lot o fthese changes are coming late is because they we not originally budgeted. Cast member Matt came in with bigger plans, and the timing of such didn't allow them to be completed by May 5, 2005. As a result they've been slowly opening as they are completed. It probably lessened the initial rush of people to the parks, but it's working because it's bringing people back into the parks.

cfrith
03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
So this has had me thinking for a while now and I would like to open it up for discussion. We are all very aware of the many changes taking place at Disneyland in the coming months. Many of these changes involve some of our favorite, classic attractions. Now here is what I am having a hard time dealing with...

Disneyland, as we all know, is celebrating its 50th anniversary. This is obviously attracting people to come and experience the celebration. Many of these people don't make it to Disneyland very often making this celebration a once in a lifetime event, and in many cases I'm sure this is a one in a lifetime opportunity to see Disneyland. For some reason I feel, in a perfect world, Disneyland should have gotten everything up to par before the celebration making sure that everything was in good condition and running throughout the entire celebration. Kind of like a very long summer season. We all know that the off-peak season is when most refurbishments are carried out and everything is usually up and running by late spring and early summer. I'm having a hard time understanding why Disney has decided to make some of the biggest changes ever, to some of the most popular, classic rides and attractions during this big 50th celebration. I know that change must happen. I accept that Disneyland will always be changing and I understand why these changes are taking place. But why now?? Some of the things I am talking about include, POTC changes, Haunted Mansion changes, Monorail shuttle mode and eventual temporary shutdown before returning with new trains and a new station etc. These are fairly significant changes and they are affecting guests experiences. I have already heard guests comment, and express their disappointment in regards to certain attractions they were looking forward to either being closed, or affected by changes around the park. I am a frequent visitor to Disneyland these days, but I could imagine that if I was only able to make it out once in say 5 years or so, that I would be very disappointed that during the 50th anniversary celebration, my Disneyland experience has been affected by changes happening around the park.

I just feel that Disneyland should really be healthy during a celebration like this. It should really shine. Not be hampered by closures and those obvious signs of construction.

I completely agree with you....100%!!!

experiment626
03-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Not to be too technically but in actuality Disneyland's 51st year of operation began July 2005. They have been open for 50 full years and entered their 51st. Just like a baby is in their first year of life the day they are born. And are entering their second year of life ON their first birthday (the first anniversary of their birth).

MonorailGuy82
03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Not to be too technically but in actuality Disneyland's 51st year of operation began July 2005. They have been open for 50 full years and entered their 51st. Just like a baby is in their first year of life the day they are born. And are entering their second year of life ON their first birthday (the first anniversary of their birth).

Yeah, I realized this immediately after I posted that. Oh well. I guess if there is anything I can salvage from that comment, it would be that technically the park isn't 51 yet. :p

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-10-2006, 08:54 PM

I couldn't agree more. I really think they should have made every effort to have all the walls and tarps down and all the changes made, and new attractions finished BEFORE the 50th celebration started. I expected it to be that way. It isn't like they didn't know the 50th was happening, Nemo and Monsters should have been done long ago. I would be HIGHLY disappointed if I had to make my trip during the celebration at a time when POTC was closed.

MonorailGuy82
03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I appreciate all of the comments. One thing I would like to make clear is that I fully understand the need for constant change at Disneyland and the need for routine refurbishments. That is not what my post was about. I was talking more about the timing for some of these changes, which include some of the biggest changes some of these attractions have ever seen.

But yeah, I understand where everyone is coming from. Just wanted to open it up for discussion. :)

WITron
03-10-2006, 09:11 PM
This past "off season" has seen the fewest rides closed for rehabs than most years. When I used to live in the area and had an AP I would go in the fall and the spring and half of the rides would be down for rehab. It just comes with park operations.

sambo
03-12-2006, 10:25 PM
... For some reason I feel, in a perfect world, Disneyland should have gotten everything up to par before the celebration making sure that everything was in good condition and running throughout the entire celebration. Kind of like a very long summer season. We all know that the off-peak season is when most refurbishments are carried out and everything is usually up and running by late spring and early summer. I'm having a hard time understanding why Disney has decided to make some of the biggest changes ever, to some of the most popular, classic rides and attractions during this big 50th celebration. ...

It seems that recent history is forgotten. There once was a man named Paul Pressler who brought us the Tomorrowland makeover and closures of the late 90's (cheap and mostly removed now) as well as the off-the shelf, no E-ticket new gate DCA. Because he stedfastly refused to repair anything, many attractions closed entirely during his reign at Disneyland. Maintenance staff and the creative staff were let go, or left because it broke their hearts to see what was happening. Those attractions that didn't close were under maintained so ride capacity was below minimums, or were due to be closed and turned into stores. "Run 'em till they fail" Pressler had Mr. Eisner convinced that folks go to Disneyland to shop rather than ride the attractions. He used the rapid growth of the Disney Stores as verification. Ultimately the Disney Stores chain collapsed under the weight of cheap plush figures and the lowering the Disney name brand to nearly junk bond status. Ultimately, Disneyland was headed in the same direction.

The decisions on what to do for the 50th were in Pressler's hands. There were no new attractions, just fireworks and parades - in fact the only real addition that would cost anything was the plan to put the character heads Mount Rushmore style on the Matterhorn. These plans - still not including any manitenance for existing attractions - were blessed by Eisner and were in full production until the tipping point where Pressler started to fall into disfavor due to lagging attendance and sales in the park. It seems that people actually did go to Disneyland for the attractions and coincidentially shopped. It also seemed that they complained a lot that things were falling apart, under maintained, and were in fact hurting people.

Once Pressler was gone to the Gap where he could run a store to his hearts content, and the regime he built was in exodus - the new management headed up by CM Matt Ouimet, who understood what Disneyland was about, began to blow all the budget on maintenance and upkeep. Once the park started looking nice again and attractions were running - people started coming back. They also started buying things again. This was the proof of concept that Eisner needed, and reluctantly gave Ouimet money for new things for the 50th. Unfortunately, there was too little time left to do much more that what we got. Hence - many things are underway now, not three years earlier. It was all because clean water was splashed on the plans of the Wicked Witch of the West.

This is a much abbreviated and embelished version of the history - but covers enough of the high points to answer why so much is under construction now as opposed to being finished in time for the 50th kickoff.

CinemaGal15
03-13-2006, 04:01 PM
that HM took a month so long to come back from it's un-dressing from HMH,

The Haunted Mansion always takes over a month for it to change back...if you hadn't noticed, the HMH adds alot of stuff to the ride.

CinemaGal15
03-13-2006, 04:16 PM
The Haunted Mansion always takes over a month for it to change back...if you hadn't noticed, the HMH adds alot of stuff to the ride.

I'm confused by all the complaints I am reading. The celebration is an 18th month-long celebration. As most readers have posted, not that many rides were closed during most of the celebration, which is actually winding down now. Also, every year and every few months, things will be closed for refurb and painting...they were even painting this morning. But you just don't always see it.

And then the comments about POC and HM being closed. Well yes POC is closed because.... well...lets think, summer is coming and the new movie is coming out. Also HM was closed because it was HMH and that usually takes over a month to de-holiday it. Most travel agencies will even tell you that this time of year late-Jan through mid-March is the time to go to Disneyland and even Walt Disney World because the parks are slower and what happens when its slower... it tries to refurb things and not affect that many people.

So if you really wanted to see all the rides in one day, which couldn't happen if it was busy.. you needed to come around the summer time because pretty much all the rides would have been open... but then again it would have been too packed to see it all, so in the end you will never ride them all.