PDA

View Full Version : Union Workers from Disneyland to Target the Company's Shareholders with Info Blitz

Disnerd
03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
This was released by one of our unions today. You have to think that some of the union's concerns are valid if they have the backing of two Anaheim City Councilmembers.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060309/20060309005998.html?.v=1

Minnie66
03-09-2006, 07:48 PM
"and encourage other employers to follow"......it's sad that big businesses are all navagating towards this. Benefits are such an important part of all our pay that something has to give. I understand about the rising costs but sure hate the way employers try to work around having to give coverage by taking employees hours right to the threshold of what qualifies for benefits and then calling them part-time. This is a real push in most of the union contracts right now -- hopefully we will all hold on to our important medical coverage across the nation, it's scary to think what will happen if the trend starts to be that most of us become "uncovered" because we get classified as part time.

olegc
03-10-2006, 04:33 PM
well, unfortunately, their presence was not felt by me. I got there early, and waited at the east entrance. No leaflets, no flyers, nothing. I did see one or two on chairs as I left the pond - but the "pronouncement" of a blitz fell far short.

I am not taking sides here - just relaying what I experienced... there were two or three questions about Unfair wages and pressure on benefits - but Iger had answers ready. you all will need to do better than use emotion on this one...

TP2000
03-12-2006, 01:37 AM
There wasn't a single mention of this union press conference or any organized union presence at the Shareholders Meeting in the extensive coverage the OC Register gave on Saturday to the meeting.

This union media event appears to have been a non-event, with few, if any, actual CM's there to support it.

And that should be a very scary warning flag for any union leader who thinks they would have the support of their dues paying brothers and sisters if they try to call for a strike. If they couldn't even get a dozen CM's to show up, out of the 4,000 members they represent in this latest round of negotiations, then the union is in serious trouble. The support for the union by Disneyland CM's appears to be very, very shallow by the way this union sponsored media event on Friday turned out.

hbquikcomjamesl
03-12-2006, 05:55 AM
And you expect the Register to give any labor union favorable press? That's like expecting Fox News to live up to their "fair and balanced" hype.

olegc
03-12-2006, 08:20 AM
And you expect the Register to give any labor union favorable press? That's like expecting Fox News to live up to their "fair and balanced" hype.

that was not the point i think but if there is no mention of any kind of protest or strong showing - with free media coverage I might add - then how can you think there is a strong loyal position among all cast members (or any union member in any industry) or if there is solidarity at all.

I don't have all the details nor am I privy to negotiations - but usually if you want to have a show of strength for the union in question you use every free media opportunity you can. I was there and it was not that visible...

TP2000
03-12-2006, 04:04 PM

I expect the Register to cover something that actually happens. And this union sponsored media event never really happened. Here are two first hand observations clipped from other boards from people who went to the meeting and knew of the union rally beforehand:

>>"So i was at the shareholders meeting. They had a couple trucks advertising there union. The people rights protest area was empty and less than a handful of union reps showed up."<<

And...

>>"But that union press event at the Pond on Friday was a big bust! I walked by it on my way into the meeting, and I didn't see one single CM! Of all the big talkers at work and on these types of boards, no one even showed up!

And to make it even more sad, hardly anyone from the union showed up either. There was a stupid "Teamsters" truck parked there, with about 4 lazy union guys standing around drinking coffee and quietly passing out leaflets. LAME!"<<

So apparently nothing actually happened. There was no "news" to cover, because the union failed to produce any news.

If there had been an actual media rally, or some CM's actually showed up to make some sort of a statement, then the Register could have had something to mention.

This union organization representing Disneyland CM's appears to be particularly weak, disorganized and clueless. They can't even organize a pep rally and get a dozen people to show up, let alone an actual strike of 4,000 Cast Members.

Disnerd
03-12-2006, 07:17 PM
This is from the NBC 4 website: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/7888286/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

Outside the meeting, some Disney employees gave leaflets to shareholders criticizing the company's proposed employment contract covering 4,000 workers at Disneyland.

Disney's proposal to define full-time employment at the theme park as 30 hours of work threatens to slash paychecks and eliminate health benefits for thousands of future employees, said Rick Eiden, president of the Orange County Central Labor Council.

Disney disputes the claims.

"These claims do not represent our position. We are in negotiations and are optimistic we will reach an agreement. Historically, we have enjoyed good relationships with the unions," said Rob Doughty, Disneyland spokesman.

CinemaGal15
03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
This was released by one of our unions today. You have to think that some of the union's concerns are valid if they have the backing of two Anaheim City Councilmembers.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060309/20060309005998.html?.v=1

Um... I'm confused... This is nothing new. If you already work at Disney then you already know that they want full-time employees more than CR's....Casual Regular.

olegc
03-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Um... I'm confused... This is nothing new. If you already work at Disney then you already know that they want full-time employees more than CR's....Casual Regular.

i don't think this is the case... they would rather force you to get closer to full time at the expense of current full timers... and then let the large mass of casual regulars work their 25 and not get benfits...

if they had more full timers it would cost them more per employee. more CRs is better on the bottom line (as long as they are forced to choose from certain hours).

SeansMom
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
"Disney has so far refused to give ground in negotiations with the unions that represent its cast members, refusing to discuss how it might share a tiny portion of the $32 billion in revenue and $2.5 billion in profits it posted last year alone."
I love DL, but it makes me sad that in order to heap profit after profit they minimize the CM's...wages/hours/etc.

JookyG
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
"Disney has so far refused to give ground in negotiations with the unions that represent its cast members, refusing to discuss how it might share a tiny portion of the $32 billion in revenue and $2.5 billion in profits it posted last year alone."
I love DL, but it makes me sad that in order to heap profit after profit they minimize the CM's...wages/hours/etc.

I'm no accountant, but 12.8% profit margin doesn't seem that big to me.

EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong... According to an article on the Motley Fool, "...the average profit margin for corporate America over last 25 years was approximately 8.3%..."

(source: http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2006/commentary06030104.htm)

I'm a shareholder, but I DON'T want profitability on the backs of the folks that make those parks tick. In fact, I believe that if the CMs were treated better, revenue would rise and the company would see a return on its investment.

At the same time, I've NEVER worked for a company that had such a low requirement for full-time benefits. The lowest I've ever seen it is 35 hours, so in my experience, even at 30 hours they've got it better than anyone I know. What I see as problematic is the two-tier system the change would create, since the existing benefit wouldn't be taken away from folks who already have it. It creates short-timers and animosity among CMs. We don't need more rifts among CMs, especially ones who crossed the picket lines during a strike that would probably prove fruitless.

Anyway, benefits shmenefits. If the CMs were paid what they were worth in the first place, which is what really matters, benefits would be less of an issue. We all know health insurance in the country is crapola anyway.