PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions - help!

5jw
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Will be going to DL in end of May/early June, with an almost-3-year old and a 9 month infant. I need lots of help!

1) We want to stay very close by to accomodate naps. I hear good things about the Candy Cane Inn. Is it close enough for us to walk with the 2 kids? Or would it be better to stay on-site? Last time, we stayed in the DL hotel, but it seemed like kind of a far walk to the park itself, through Downtown Disney.

2) What about strollers? Should I bring 1 and make my toddler walk and switch off with carrying the baby, or should I bring a double? Can a double stroller be rented from the park?

3) We want to go for several days. How does early entry work when not staying on-site?

4) If not staying on-site, does the monorail cost money?

5) Any other hotel recommendations (with fridge, microwave, and pool) within walking distance?

Thanks so much!

amarvel
03-09-2006, 11:00 AM
1. candy cane is nice, but no you wont want to walk it with children...maybe try Best Western Park Place, its right at hte entrance...

2. not sure about strollers as i don't have children :)

3. Early entry can be a part of your ticket, you will get to go in early one day that they have early entry.

4. no its free :)

5. see number 1: Also Best Western Anaheim Inn, Park Vue Inn, Park Inn and Suites, Desert Inn are all right on Harbor and at the entrance and within walking distance :)

tod
03-09-2006, 11:11 AM
If not staying on-site, does the monorail cost money?

Don't worry about the Monorail. That is only an issue in Florida.

The Park didn't even have a Monorail for the first few years, and when they finally got one and it was expanded to go outside the Park, it went to the Disneyland Hotel and back. This is still the case. Two of the three on-property hotels don't have Monorail service, and with the redefinition of former Disneyland Hotel areas as Downtown Disney, arguably none of them does any more.

It's an easy five-minute or less walk from the Disneyland gate to the Park Place, and the Candy Cane is five minutes more if you don't want to wait for the shuttle.

--t

Malcon10t
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
1 and 5. Park Vue Inn, Anaheim Desert Inn, Park Place Inn, and Carousel Inn are closer than the Candy Cane, can be closer than the resort hotels, and generally have the amenities you are looking for. Park Inn is great, but they don't have microwaves. (My pref is Park Inn or Desert Inn. We are trying the Carousel Inn this trip, so wll give opinions after April 15th.)

2. Many recommend 2 strollers, that way if you need to split up, like to take one for a nap, you aren't left without a stroller, or both having to leave. They do not rent doubles at the park.

3. Early entry is on your 3-8 day park hopper. You go to the gate 1 hour to 90 mins before park opening on the days offered (generally Mon, Tues, Thurs, adn Sat.)

4. Monorail is free, however, it is only running on a "one way' route, so you don't go all the way around the park like normal.

DrivingtoDisneyAZ
03-09-2006, 11:25 AM
1) They have a free shuttle which runs every half hour or you could walk it (7-10 minutes?). The only issues would be the stroller -- folding up, loading, unloading -- and the waiting around for a bus.

2) Hard to say. I'd not like having to hold onto an infant while walking (but then my kiddos were always heavy babies and I'm not a big person). How good of a walker is your toddler? My firstborn really never needed use of the stroller, but my others have short legs and doddle a lot, so we use one for them. Advantages to a double: you know where both kids are at all times, you/spouse can take a light stroll with the kids while the other is on an adult ride, extra storage (lol). Disadvantages: bulky, can be harder to maneuver through crowds.

No double strollers available for rental at the parks.

3) Don't know the answer to that one.

4) Monorail does NOT cost extra.

5) Candy Cane Inn doesn't even provide microwaves in all their rooms (only premium iirc). BWPPI (large fridge, micro, pool) is directly across the street at crosswalk; can't get any closer. HOJOs is a 7-minute walk down the way and has fridges and a niiiiiice pool setup for kids (micros only available in some premium rooms). Carousel (large fridge, micro, small rooftop pool). DI&S (fridge, micro, indoor pool) -- though I personally wouldn't recommend this place at all (read tripadvisor's reviews).

CNDKanga
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I've been to the park with small kids (we are also going mid-May this year with our 6, 4 and 2 year old). I would recommend bringing the double. For the previous 2 years I've brought the double and it was great (I would park it in Fantasyland and do those rides and then pack them into the stroller if they needed a break and head to the next land.) We are going to try the Candy Cane Inn this year (previously we've stayed at the Coast Anaheim a block or two further along). We are a walking/running/sports oriented family so we don't find the walk at all an issue. The Candy Cane does have a free shuttle to the parks though (I think one of the only places with the shuttle being free). As well, the candy cane has the buffet breakfast which is great for us because the fewer restuarants I frequent with small kids the better in my mind!

tinker3
03-09-2006, 11:55 AM
My boys were that age a couple of years ago and we loved staying at the Candy Cane Inn. The free breakfast was great! We usually walked it (with a double stroller) unless the shuttle was right there. I liked using the double stroller it just made one less thing to keep track of. It is a bit bulky and tough to get around, but keep in mind it's usuallly parked for a few rides at a time (at least). We have also stayed at the Paradise Pier, it's nice and we loved it, but no free breakfast and it really didn't seem any closer!

JookyG
03-09-2006, 12:00 PM
We want to stay very close by to accomodate naps. I hear good things about the Candy Cane Inn. Is it close enough for us to walk with the 2 kids? Or would it be better to stay on-site? Last time, we stayed in the DL hotel, but it seemed like kind of a far walk to the park itself, through Downtown Disney.

Heh, even folks without kids need naps :) I always stay at the Tropicana, which is right at the crosswalk on Harbor. It's a 5-minute walk to the esplanade. Usually runs $99/night for a decent room with a microwave and fridge. Not a fancy room, but suits the purpose of sleeping and showering. Also includes a free continental breakfast, for what that's worth--enough to get us out the door to a real breakfast.

As for early entry, it's offered on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, and you get 1 early entry day when you buy a 3 or more day ParkHopper.

mommy-san
03-09-2006, 03:36 PM
We have stayed at the HoJo twice in the last 4 months. Fridge in room, very basic otherwise. Pool was great, clean and great for toddlers. I walked back with my 1 year old every day for naps. We really loved the fact that McDonalds was so close, so if we needed a break on the walk back we had a place to stop that didn't make the kids scream. Someone posted on another thread that the distance from candy cane to DLR was the same as HoJo to DLR. Regardless, take the double stroller.... we rented a single one in the park for my 5 year old every day! (in addition to our baby stroller. Saved on the 'my legs are tired' whining!

orangechicken
03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I can't say enough good things about Candy Cane Inn. I stayed there as a child many times and 12 years later my mother and I went back last April. It was about a 10 minute slow walk or 5-7 minute fast pace to the front entrance. The rooms are very comfortable, not too noisy even if you're by the pool. There's a great pool area for kids to play in that usually isn't overcrowded. The breakfast was a life-saver, they had everything from cereal to fruit to muffins and pastries. Also if you're too tired to walk back, the shuttle is very reliable and handy after a long day. For the price (especially if you have AAA card) I'd definitly go with candy cane inn.

SneakyStella
03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Just a note about the monorail, being that it is in shuttle mode now the wait can be longer and if it gets too busy it is only offered for guests of the resort hotels. I was there this week and was asked for my room charge slip everytime I boarded in DTD. Though no one asked when leaving Disneyland.

momuvseven
03-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Candy Cane is an easy walk BUT we don't mind walking to Garden Grove either LOL. If you want to stay there and you don't mind a short stroll then go for it.
I do not like crossing the intersections in front of Disneyland to get across the street but that is my paranoia. Candy Cane Inn in on the Park side of Harbor.
Take the biggest most comfortable stroller you can. Kids need to be comfortable and you need the storage. Expect the kids to still want to be carried off and on. Make sure you have sun shades (blankets will do) and a rain shield.
Take your time to enjoy everything with a long break in the afternoon. Force yourself to lay down and rest a bit too because you won't believe how tired you will feel once you do.
The problem with DL stroller rentals is they are not comfortable for the younger kids, infants can not ride in them unless they are sitting up very, very well. The time you will need the stroller the most is when you leave the park and the rentals have to be returned at the gate.

Have fun,

momuvseven

geoffa
03-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Official site info on strollers:

Stroller Rental

Disneyland® park: Strollers can be rented inside the Main Entrance and at the Star Trader in Tomorrowland. Stroller rental fee is $8.00. Disney's California Adventure™ park: Strollers can be rented inside the Main Entrance in Golden Gateway and in Condor Flats at Fly 'n' Buy. Stroller rental fee is $8.00. Downtown Disney® District: Sorry, stroller rentals are not offered in Downtown Disney® District. If you bring your own -The four wheel stroller is allowed on the Disneyland Railroad but the larger
capacity three wheel stroller is not.