PDA

View Full Version : Spring Break Getaway: Help with Dining and other questions on a college budget

orangechicken
03-08-2006, 10:42 PM
I have a couple of questions for my upcoming trip that I'm still not sure of:

- Is the character breakfast really worth the extra $ or are you just paying for the interactions? Would someplace like River Belle or Carnation Cafe have comparable food? I'm just looking for someplace with a nice big breakfast for one of our mornings.

- For other mornings, does PP have a coffee shop or somewhere we can get something cheap/light?

- How are the DTD restaurants compared with table-service in the park? We were planning on going to the Blue Bayou, but it's closed! Any suggestions for favorite places? Preferably under $20 a person for dinner.

- Is $25 a good amount to budget for food per day? B,L,D, and possibly a snack for quick dining and just B,D if we have a meal out?

- How's the weather in mid-march? Rainy? Warm?

If you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated! We're trying to get the most out of our money for dining, we need a good break from cafeteria food!

Leap for Joy
03-09-2006, 03:54 AM
DH and I budget $20/day for food and snacks, but we only eat two meals. We have a snack in our motel before leaving in the morning (granola bar, fruit) and then get a few rides in before having a large breakfast. Mid-afternoon we take a rest break and then eat a large early dinner. Our snack money comes in handy late at night when we're waiting for one of the shows.

March is a fun month. It's usually warm enough in the middle of the day to not mind getting soaked on GRR, but you'll still want layers for the evenings.

twist1980
03-09-2006, 06:20 AM
I know DLH has a coffee shop (although I do not recommend their coffee, but I'm a Seattle coffee snob) that serves pastries, so I'm sure PP does also. I also really liked stopping at La Brea Bakery in the morning to grab a croissant or pastry on my way into the parks (it is right at the end of DtD).

Unless you have your heart set on seeing characters, I would skip the character breakfast. You are paying basically just to see them!

For a good cheap lunch go to Bengal BBQ. Their chicken and beef kabobs are great, as is the bacon wrapped asparagas. Each one is around $5!

hlbtimes2
03-09-2006, 08:16 AM
I would skip the character meal if you are looking for good breakfast and not the interaction. Carnation Cafe offers a good breakfast for under $10. Riverbell is pretty good too (Mickey pancakes! among other things). For a quick, good, out of the park breakfast try White water snacks at the GC. Good food, reasonable prices.

I would probably allow more then $25 a day. That is going to be a pretty tight budget. Take a look at the menus at www.dlresortinfo.com It will give you an idea of what you can get and the prices.

Consider ordering from the kids menu now and then. For $6 you can get a meal that includes a drink. The ravioli at Pizza Port is pretty good, and comes with bread. The fried chicken at the Plaza for lunch and dinner is another good option.

Malcon10t
03-09-2006, 08:58 AM
I have a couple of questions for my upcoming trip that I'm still not sure of:

- Is the character breakfast really worth the extra $ or are you just paying for the interactions? Would someplace like River Belle or Carnation Cafe have comparable food? I'm just looking for someplace with a nice big breakfast for one of our mornings.

- For other mornings, does PP have a coffee shop or somewhere we can get something cheap/light?

- How are the DTD restaurants compared with table-service in the park? We were planning on going to the Blue Bayou, but it's closed! Any suggestions for favorite places? Preferably under $20 a person for dinner.

- Is $25 a good amount to budget for food per day? B,L,D, and possibly a snack for quick dining and just B,D if we have a meal out?

- How's the weather in mid-march? Rainy? Warm?

If you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated! We're trying to get the most out of our money for dining, we need a good break from cafeteria food!For a breakfast not cafeteria food and big, I recommend Mimis. The character meals are good, but you are paying for the characters. Definately not $28 worth of food. You can get a huge omelet with potatoes, and a muffin and juice for $8 at Mimis. Oops, Mimi's is a walk from PP. Coco's is closer and good too. PP does have a small shop downstairs that sells cold cereal, bagels, fruit, pastries, and milk/coffee. $25 is ok if you keep it tight, I usually figure $25, plus if we are doing characters meal, I add that seperate.

DTD I like RainForest and ESPN Zone.

Weather - This year has been strange, so all bets are off. But, figure 60s during the day and mid 30s at night. Expect rain, and it may not materialize, but leave your rain stuff home and it will pour.

CariBelle
03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
I say skip the character meal and either have a sit down meal in the park, or grab breakfast at Club Buzz. $6.99 gets you 6 french toast sticks and bacon or sausage and a drink. Boyfriend and I split this because it was so big. Another good breakfast option in park is the fruit and granola yogurt parfait. Very tasty and really big. Good lunch/dinner options that are on the cheaper side: Bengal BBQ- a skewer, order of bread sticks, and a drink is a good meal for under $10 bucks. The Pizza port severs HUGE protions, two people can easily split an order of pasta and if you are a big eater just add a side salad or breadsticks and you'll be satisfied. DTD: I love Rainforest, House of Blues, and the ESPN Zone. In my opinion either of those three would be a good choice for a nice sit down dinner or lunch. You can def. eat at any of those three for under $20 a person.

Malcon10t
03-09-2006, 12:26 PM
If you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated! We're trying to get the most out of our money for dining, we need a good break from cafeteria food!Let's not forget, to save a couple $ if you need to, there is always McDs across the street....

Quinten27
03-09-2006, 01:00 PM
PP does have a little coffee stand in the lobby that also sells various muffins/danishes.

orangechicken
03-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the great tips! I think that we'll definitly skip the character breakfast and go to river belle instead. And thanks for the idea to get kids meals, there's usually just so much food in a regular meal! We're still deciding about dinner, right now we're thinking House of Blues but there's still a over a week to research it!

03-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the great tips! I think that we'll definitly skip the character breakfast and go to river belle instead.

Spoken like a pro, orangechicken. Enjoy your trip and come back to tell us how it went!