PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland in July?

PinkGlitter
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Hello -

My family wants to go to DL in the middle/end of July. We'll be getting the 3 day hopper ticket and we're going during the week, not the weekend. I've been to DL several times in my lifetime....but we always go either in the beginning of the year, or the end....never in the summer. Last time we went was last year in April, and it was slam packed....awful. I guess we caught the spring breakers. My family doesn't want to wait until Aug or Sep....they want to go in July (hellbent on going in fact :rolleyes: !). They actually want to go now, but they want to wait until POTC is back up.....therefore July was decided.

My questions: I assume it's going to be crazy busy in July, right? In April, it was so busy, we could barely even walk without bumping into people. And the lines for rides were soooooo long. Should I expect worse during summer?

Any info/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Antoinette :)

Malcon10t
03-08-2006, 08:02 PM
My questions: I assume it's going to be crazy busy in July, right? In April, it was so busy, we could barely even walk without bumping into people. And the lines for rides were soooooo long. Should I expect worse during summer?It will be packed, and it will be HOT. Everyone is going to try and cram in the last of the 50th, plus RockIt Mountain will be up, as well as POTC and the new drops on TOT. We are going the first part of July, hopefuly will avoid some of the heat!

PinkGlitter
03-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Wow, thanks so much for the quick reply Malcon! That is exactly what I figured....that it will be hot and packed.....that really sucks. Are you planning on posting a trip report when you get back? Because I would really love to read about how it is for you when you go. Are you going to be there for a day or longer?

amarvel
03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
July is usually the month I attend, or at least sometime in the summer. its more crowded but still doable, just wear less clothes, bring more water and make sure to arrive early and do everything you want to first thing. if you went during Easter week in April and you sid it was really crowded, might be the same unless you are thinking of going July 4th that day can be extra crowded :)

PinkGlitter
03-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks so much Angela, I really appreciate the info :)! No, we'll definitely avoid July 4th! The middle/end of July is when we'd be going. I've never been during summer before, so I'm a bit worried. I hope it is the same (crowd-wise) as when I went in April......I'm just worried it'll be worse. Let's hope not!

amarvel
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
its funny the times i usually go are April or July ;) (and I am going Next month)

I wouldnt worry too much, I've gone lots of time in April and it was scarce, so you probaby went during a spring break week, so I would bet when you go in July it will be very similar. As long as you have a plan you can navigate the park the first 1.5 hours its open and do most of what you want to do even with crowds. Use the fastpass system and check out some of the other options that dont attract huge long lines like tiki room, main street cinema, the 50th anniversary gallery and movie, and those that have huge turn around times like Small world during the hours that it gets more crowded :)

Have a fun trip :)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-09-2006, 06:39 AM
For people who have never been during what is considered the "off season" they may not find the time you will be going in July to be busy. I have a friend who goes once a year and they go over 4th of July, "to see the fireworks." I just laugh at her. They spend 2 days at the park and she has never, in those 2 days, seen even half of what she would like to see. I have told her time and time again, to try, just one year, going in Feb. or Oct., her kids are little and pulling them out of school wouldn't be bad. She is a SAHM and her DH owns his own chiropractor office and has 2 partners, they COULD make it work. One of these days she will listen to me and then never go in July again.
That said, when I was a kid, we use to go in the summer and during spring break. When I grew up and started going to the park without my parents, I took a trip in Feb. and was hooked. The last time I was at the park in the summer was 1995, and that was late August, it was still pretty busy but not like June or July.
If they are hell bent on going then, you really don't have a choice. But I would sure try to sway them to change the trip to late August. You will still catch the tail end of the 50th celebration, POTC will be up and the changes to ToT will have happened. It will be much less busy then. If you have to go in July, take the advice of the others that responded. Go half naked, and take lots of water and patience. Standing in line with a ton of hot and crabby people isn't my idea of fun.

shawnarae
03-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I have found going on a day in July that is AP blocked it lighter then a day that is not. The day before I got my AP last summer was a blocked day and for the first 2 hours of that Saturday it was "walk on". The rest of that day was do-able. Then the next day (an AP unblocked day) was a Sunday that was so crowded. NUTS to be honest. It was crazy how different the 2 days were. We headed to DCA for the rest of that day!

tinksmom
03-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Because we are teachers, we typically go the last week of June. We find that by getting to the gates at opening, and use of fastpass on e tickets, we can go until 1 or so before the crowds really get to be a problem. Then, we go back to the hotel, swim, shop, etc, and go back after dinner. It works for us (we are actually ready for a break after 5 hours or so of commando parking!)

Malcon10t
03-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Wow, thanks so much for the quick reply Malcon! That is exactly what I figured....that it will be hot and packed.....that really sucks. Are you planning on posting a trip report when you get back? Because I would really love to read about how it is for you when you go. Are you going to be there for a day or longer?

Antoinette :)We will be there a week-10 days. Haven't completely decided yet. We go every year about this time (last year we went slightly later to be part of the 50th.)

twist1980
03-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Just make sure you are in line before opening and you'll get a chance to ride things like Space Mt. before it gets too crazy. It also lightens up at the end of the day. The good thing is the park should be open until midnight every day, so take advantage of the late hours and get some rides in! Most people with kiddos leave early! Also take a break in the middle of the day when the park is the busiest and go back to the hotel and take a nap or relax and cool off at your hotels pool.

It is crazy, but do-able! Also, try eating meals at off-peak times, like dinner at four (or really late). That will save you some time in line! :)

PinkGlitter
03-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Thank you SO much for the help everyone, it is much appreciated!!!!

Minnie66
03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I agree with the most of the others have said about going early and late. We usually go this time of year also, not entirely by choice, more because it's what fits with our family schedule. We go early (as early as they will let you in) and late at night, avoiding the noon until 6:00 pm hours. Fast passes help and also catching rides when the parades/show are going on. If you have more than 3 days, you will have plently of time to see and do everything. Mostly, if this is what works for you just go make the best of it and you will have a wonderful trip. There really isn't a perfect time, just choose to see your trip as perfect and it will be the best for you.