PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass questions

66Champs
03-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi. New to the site. Reposting a couple questions I originally had in the Lounge. Grew up in LA. Visited DL roughly annually until moving away in my 20s. Now I bring the wife and kids (17, 8 and 9) every few years.

Definitely the happiest place on Earth. We'll be there Sunday.

We've only been once or twice during the Fastpass era, and think we have a pretty good handle on how that all works. I searched for and read the strategy sheets prepared by Darkbeer and others. (Thanks!) I think we have the gist of that.

My questions: Is all that info still current? Do CMs still pretty much ignore the expiration times on FPs? Is there a current list of attractions not linked to the FP system network? And if we're going to squeeze in a few Parkhopper hours at CA, would should we definitely not miss?

Lastly, food. I see Blue Bayou is closed. I also always liked that little place in NO Square where they sell the soup in a bread bowl things, but I think I read that's out now. We'll probably pack in one meal, but are there any recommendations for another meal that's not a greaseburger / fried chicken kind of thing?

Thanks!

JookyG
03-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I was there in December, and the CMs didn't even blink when I used FastPasses as much as 6 hours later. Heck, I've still got a few I never used. Maybe I'll try using them in May when I go back :) I don't know how the crowds are currently, but we never seemed to save more than 10 minutes with the DCA FastPasses. Was worth waiting the extra 10 to keep it as a souvenir.

As for healthy foods, Bengal Barbecue is still my favorite--meat and veggies on a stick. Redd Rocket's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland has pizza, pasta, and most importantly gigantic salads. I think you can still get veggie burgers at a few of the burger stands, but can't say for sure. Also, Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante in Frontierland has great healthy & vegetarian food. Been a while, but last time I was there, I had a great taco salad--probably pretty fattening (you'll burn off the fat from all the walking), but with lots of veggies.

Definitely avoid the corn dogs over in DCA--they're gutbombs!

twist1980
03-08-2006, 11:38 AM
At DCA, I would say the don't miss rides are Soarin' Over California, Tower of Terror, California Screamin' and Grizzly River Run. I also love It's Tough to be a Bug and the Monsters Inc. ride just opened so that would probably be fun to see as well. I also love the Sun Wheel. The reason is it is absolutly hilarious to watch your families reaction as the cars start to swing. My stomach always hurts after I get off from laughing so much!

I second Bengal BBQ, yummy and cheap!

Darkbeer
03-08-2006, 11:46 AM
My questions: Is all that info still current? Do CMs still pretty much ignore the expiration times on FPs? Is there a current list of attractions not linked to the FP system network? And if we're going to squeeze in a few Parkhopper hours at CA, would should we definitely not miss?

Lastly, food. I see Blue Bayou is closed. I also always liked that little place in NO Square where they sell the soup in a bread bowl things, but I think I read that's out now. We'll probably pack in one meal, but are there any recommendations for another meal that's not a greaseburger / fried chicken kind of thing?

Thanks!

I have checked the systems recently, and to the best of my knowledge, it is current. Roger Rabbit and the GRR at DCA are not connected, everything else is.

The Bread Bowl place next to Pirates was open on Monday when I went to take pictures of Pirates being closed, I haven't heard of any plans to close it, either temporarily for the Pirates refurb, or permanently.

66Champs
03-08-2006, 02:46 PM
We appreciate it!

FMTX
03-09-2006, 07:30 AM

In late November, not one CM said anything and we never used our fastpasses in the designated comeback time. We collected them all morning and early afternoon and used most of them in the evenings. We used passes from 9 am as late as 10 pm and no CM even blinked.

findin mickeys
03-09-2006, 07:53 AM
In DCA you have to see the following:

Rides:
Tower of Terror
Soarin' over California
Grizzly Rapids
California Screamin'

Shows:
Aladdin
Tough to be a Bug
(I am also a fan of Muppet 3D, but not many here appear to be).

I am sure you and your family will have a blast. Enjoy your vacation and be sure to give us all a trip report when you return!

WITron
03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
When we were there in Dec. I had my Mom run over to SM and get fastpasses for us to use when my wife and I came back to the park to meet some friends in the evening. They didn't even bat an eye when we handed them the passes even though the time was over 10 hours.

ralfrick
03-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Once we went to use a FP at Indy about 9:15PM, and the CM said "these are for 9:40; come back after the fireworks". As we were walking away my wife reminded me that those were the first FPs we got that morning, which was spent collecting them to use at night. When I went back and pointed out that they were for 9:40AM, he waved us through.

Cheers.

Pat-n-Eil
03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
As far as rides being "connected" or not, just GRR and Roger Rabbit are not.

What we experienced last week is that some rides weren't even offering FastPasses, though they did have FastPass distribution machines. Star Tours and Great Thunder Mountain Railroad for example. The lines were very manageable and standby was short.. so park staff must have decided they would serve no real purpose.

Lastly, I can confirm that as long as your "come back" time has arrived, the second time means nothing. I have done this myself, I have been told this by multiple castmembers and it has been the defacto policy for many years. I'm always amazed when I see folks hurrying to beat that hour.. I always tell them to relax, enjoy where they are and just be sure to use the FastPass by the end of the day.

StyledSugar
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
We were there in Feb and only had one CM question the expiry time of our fastpass. It was on Indiana Jones. We had gotten our FP in the morning and actually forgot about it. We went back after dinner (about 6pm) and handed it to him. He looked at it for a second, gave me a look and said "ooooooookay......this time". I was pretty shocked that he even said anything. LOL After reading the tips here I didn't think twice about using it that long after the expiry time. Oh well, he still let us on and that's all that matters. ;)

Quinten27
03-15-2006, 02:07 PM
It's possible the CM was just teasing you about it.........they've been known to do that. ;)

danyoung
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
There are quite a few places inside DL that are a step above the burger joint. Redd Rocket's in Tomorrowland has a terrific chicken pasta. Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland used to do a great taco salad, but I think it's been discontinued. Still, they have great mexican and barbeque items. And the Plaza Pavilion at the end of Main Street has things like fried chicken and pot roast with all the trimmings. Don't settle for a burger - get some good food right there in DL!

Keurigirl
03-15-2006, 02:31 PM
We were there two weeks ago, and yes, CM's don't pay attention to the expiration time on the fastpass. On occasion we're even able to use fastpasses the following day, provided we go after the fastpass expiration time.

Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland has always been my favorite eating place. They recently changed their menu, and though I was really sad to see the Taco Salad go, their new Monterrey Tacos are amazingly good. We ate them three days in a row they were so good! :)

I know for a fact that Grizzly River Run isn't connected to any of the other fastpass rides. You can get one of those fastpasses at the same time as you can get them for other rides, and then you can get one for Grizzly every hour after that. Not that you may want to go on it that many times, but I figured, a mostly walk on ride several times a day, all day long? Sweet!

tmptink
03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow, this it great information. I did not know about using the FP after the exp time. I always one of those people rushing from one land to another to catch the time. Even though someone asked the question, thanks for the info.