PDA

View Full Version : Face Paints

junglemom
03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
For my kids' school carnival I am in charge of putting together the face painting booth. Does anyone know where and what kind of paints they use at DL (or any other good products that you have heard of.) I have tried the crayon shaped greasy ones before and they are so hard to get any detail from. I have also tried the glitter face pens from Target, but they run out of ink really quickly. I know DL uses paint brushes and the paints are in kind of a dish or disk-like container. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Tigertail777
03-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I have friends that do this professionally and I have done a few gigs with them. The thing you want to find is cocoa butter based professional piants. Here is one company that we use: http://www.mehron.com/retail/category.cfm?Category=67

You can get some nice fine details with these; I have done very intricate things on childrens faces, from mermaids to princesses and cowboys. Make sure what you get is water based and hypo-allergenic, most cocoa butter based ones are, and have the ability to withstand sweating to a certain degree. However to really "seal down" a design especially if its on a childs cheek, get some fine body glitter and brush it on gently with a fan brush over top of the design. Not only is it pretty and adds that magic touch, but it makes it smear less.

Theoretically you could make your own cocoa butter paints with cocoa butter cream and some kind of coloring like food coloring, but I highly advise against it. I had some employers that got cheap and decided to do this, and they had many angry customers because it stained the skin of the patrons for a while. The professional stuff above comes off quickly easily with no staining. Bad news is, it usually takes quite a while for this stuff to come through the mail since its so specialty, but its highly worth it. Good luck! Hope that helps! If you want to find other companies that make it just google "professional cocoa butter face paint".

Tigertail777
03-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Sorry I realize I didnt mention; for the glitter make sure its opalescent or simular so the design can still be seen. Normal glitter (even some body glitter) blocks the design too much making for unhappy customers. Also get some of those make up foundation cleaner pads you know the spongy white things (sorry I am a guy I dunno what they really are) to clean some childrens faces before painting, because due to sweat there may be too much oil to the skin for the paint to stick properly. Those paints may seem a bit pricey, but a little bit goes quite a long ways if your careful. :D

Ragrobyn
03-08-2006, 05:08 AM
I am a face painter and I use Ben Nye. Use a paint brush instead of the "crayon" and you will have spectacular results.:fez:

cfrith
03-08-2006, 05:47 AM
For my dd's birthday a couple years ago I did face painting and used a kit that was by those complete Klutz books...they have those books at Barnes and Noble. They were the crayons, but I thought they worked pretty well.

junglemom
03-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I was looking for these types of paint on ebay, have any of you heard of snazaroo? It seems to keep popping up on all my searches? And if you haeve any more tips like the glitter tip, keep "em coming. I figure I'll go to the library for ideas for the actual art. Thanks again

Ragrobyn
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
As far as glitter, I use hair gel mix with glitter. Works great.