PDA

View Full Version : Eating Ideas Help!

Grijalva
03-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Thank you all for responding to my questions before. We are staying at the Red Roof Maingate, has anybody stayed there or have any info to share? Also they said they were out of rooms with micros and fridges so now I am wondering what to do!!!:eek: Does anyone know ideas of what to take without having a fridge microwave and possibly not a cooler? Also is there a nearby Walmart? Thanks alot !!!!

Malcon10t
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Thank you all for responding to my questions before. We are staying at the Red Roof Maingate, has anybody stayed there or have any info to share? Also they said they were out of rooms with micros and fridges so now I am wondering what to do!!!:eek: Does anyone know ideas of what to take without having a fridge microwave and possibly not a cooler? Also is there a nearby Walmart? Thanks alot !!!!
There is a Target and WalMart somewhat close. If you take stuff like noodles and instant cereal, you can use the coffee maker. Take granola/cereal bars, boxes of crackers, and fruit.

twist1980
03-07-2006, 05:07 PM
PB&J stuff, Nutri-Grain bars, someone else on another thread had the great idea of bringing instant oatmeal, Easy-Mac and Cup-of-Noodles if you have an in room coffee maker. Wheat Thins make great snacks as do fruit snacks, fruit roll-ups (or fruit leather...healthier).

And bring a water bottle to refill in the water fountains!

cfrith
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Anyone know how much to "rent" a microwave (if it's even possible) at the DLH?

I Heart Disneyland!
03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
We always stay at Homewood Suites, which have a stovetop, full sized refrigerator and microwave. Also, free breakfast, and the price we paid last was only $119 per night for a 2 room suite!!!

Malcon10t
03-07-2006, 06:10 PM
They dont have them (or didn't last summer.) Across the street, a few places that don't have them in the room, rent them for $10 a day.

Juniper
03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
We always stay at Homewood Suites, which have a stovetop, full sized refrigerator and microwave. Also, free breakfast, and the price we paid last was only $119 per night for a 2 room suite!!!

my mom and I are going for spring break and will be there monday to friday april 10-14 and we got the extended stay america for $35 per night with priceline, and it has full fridge, micro wave, coffee maker, toaster, and stove top.

Shinku
03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Instant oatmeal is also pretty good in the mornings if you have a coffee maker. Maybe english muffins and squeezy jelly? I mean, you can't toast them, but they'd still be pretty good.

Don't forget about little things you can also throw in your backpack/bag to munch on in the park like ritz bits (peanut butter and cracker sandwich things), or goldfish crackers, both of those are good "anytime" foods for when you get the munchies.

I don't know if your hotel has a gift shop/convienence store type thing going on downstairs, but if you wanted to you could buy a box of cereal and some paper bowls/spoons and such at target and elect someone to go downstairs and buy like two individual bottles of milk (think like the regular drinking size as opposed to the jug you'd buy at the store) and then have cereal for the whole family?

Minnie66
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM

We have only had one room in all our trips to the DLH that had a microwave. It was the very top corner suite in Bonita tower, which makes me think they might have a few more rooms with them. This was about three years ago. You might want to call the hotel and ask. If you are really insistant on one I have seen them at Wal-Marts for under $30.00 -- might be a pain to haul it with you but bringing one or getting one there might work. It's a thought.

SandraVB79
03-08-2006, 07:44 AM
I remember that my mom and I bought those individually packed blueberry muffins and brownies and so at a Target (the one at La Brea at LA, by now, I can find it using public transportation with my eyes closed! :rolleyes: )

They were pretty good, to us, but maybe that's because we are not used to blueberry muffins and brownies, so they are always a treat! It was easy to take IN the park, and we ate them while waiting in line, and while ON POTC and iasm...

TikiGeek
03-08-2006, 07:56 AM
MRE's (http://theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html) - No Micro, No Fridge, No Problem. :cool:

MortgageMan
03-08-2006, 07:56 AM
my mom and I are going for spring break and will be there monday to friday april 10-14 and we got the extended stay america for $35 per night with priceline, and it has full fridge, micro wave, coffee maker, toaster, and stove top.

What a deal!:)

kohl
03-08-2006, 01:27 PM
MRE's (http://theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html) - No Micro, No Fridge, No Problem. :cool:

I don't know if they have improved them, but my husband is a Marine and brought some home one time. They are not too tasty. Some come with PB and crackers and M&M's. Now that part was OK.

JookyG
03-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Well if there's a mini-mart near the hotel, you could make daily morning runs for small containers of milk to go with cereal/granola for breakfast. If they've got cold cuts/cheese, you could make a round of sandwiches each day, assuming you didn't have any leftover meat/cheese to refrigerate.

Also, most brands of soy milk don't need to be refrigerated until they're opened. On my next trip, I plan on packing a carton or two along with some cereal for breakfast. I don't care much for soy milk, but the vanilla-flavored ones are pretty good with breakfast cereals. Soy is also a good source of protein. My room's got a fridge, but you could probably keep it fresh overnight with ice from your hotel vending, if you found a suitable container--a cooler or ice bucket.

Energy bars are great meal substitutes, but you'll probably get tired of them after a day. Trail mix, or just nuts and dried fruit, is a great combination of protein and carbohydrates that will keep your body going. Protien takes longer to digest, so if you get more of it, you'll stay full longer. On the other hand, carbs are great for a quick pick-me-up, but don't stick around very long. DON'T count on candy or sweet treats to keep your hunger at bay for long, if stretching your food budget is important. Sweets and things like churros and pastries are all carbs and will digest really quickly. Go for proteins: meats, nuts, milk, cheese, soy.

Keep in mind that the portions served at most of the restaurants in and around Disneyland are HUGE, to keep up with our growing waistlines. I often split entrees and almost always walk away completely satisfied. Doesn't work too well with a burger, but would work great with a big salad or pasta dish. Eating smaller meals with energy bars or other snacks inbetween is better for your body anyway, as opposed to filling yourself as full as you can and hoping it lasts all day. The result of that bad practice is that your stomach stretches and after your lunch digests, you're left feeling hungrier than before.

Hope this helps! I know how important it is to stretch those Disney dollars!