PDA

View Full Version : Highest Highs and Lowest Lows! (3/1-3/3 trip report)

MermaidHair
03-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Everyone here was so helpful in my trip planning so I thought I would let you know how things went on our recent trip. This trip was in celebration of DD’s 5th b-day (which is actually Thursday). The cast included DD, DS (2.5 yrs) DH (2nd time to DL ever) and Me (not been since 1999). We flew down on 3/1 with the intention of spending 2.5 days in the parks. We stayed at the Carousel Inn (2 br/1 ba suite) which served us fine. We would return there again.

As My heading says, this trip included the highest highs and the lowest lows. The highs were definitely Disney created:

Ariel’s Grotto Princess Dinner – Spectacular – so much better than waiting in lines to see these gals.
DD’s first ever Disneyland ride - the golden Carrousel horse. Complete with a chat with Aurora who was waiting to ride it when she was done.
Matterhorn – always a fav
Space Mountain – in DD’s words “Perrrrfect!”
DS’s joy at driving a car AND getting his own driver’s license
Mike and Sully – the kids LOVED this and Bugs Land
Pirates – even DS loved it!
Getting autograph books signed – this was magic for the kids

Unfortunately for me the trip was cut a bit short when on the evening of our first full day in the park I got ill. I first went to First Aid where the nurses were excellent and even went and got Mary Poppins to sit with my children who were uneasy with mom being sick. WOW! By Friday morning I was in the ER being diagnosed with pneumonia! (the lowest low) It rained that am so the rest of the family did not miss much but I convinced them to head to DCA as soon as they could to make our PS for the Princess lunch. They were late but Ariel’s Grotto rescheduled them to 4:00 pm which turned out great. They rode MANY rides in DCA and then rented me an ECV and met me at security. I had napped and had enough energy to make it through the meal, which I am glad I did.

General consensus is that it was a wonderful trip even with my illness. DH, whose arm I had to twist to get him to agree to 2.5 days in the park, wanted to stay longer. Our next trip will not be until 2008 for DS’s 5th b-day but we have already decided to go long enough for 4 days in the park and at least one day at a beach. Is it too soon to start a countdown clock??

Thanks again for all the planning help.

03-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Good gosh, MermaidHair! Are you feeling better?

MermaidHair
03-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Thank you for asking! I am doing a lot better. I had a lot of pain which is almost all gone. Now I just need rest and to get my strength back. Not easy to rest as a mom, y'know! Thank God for Antibiotics:) :)

nvmom
03-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Gosh, I'm so sorry you fell sick. I hope you're feeling better.
Glad there were good times too.

nvmom

Crazy4DL
03-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the report. So sorry you were so ill. Glad you all had a great time in spite of it. :)

cfrith
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
I first went to First Aid where the nurses were excellent and even went and got Mary Poppins to sit with my children who were uneasy with mom being sick. WOW!

ROTFL! How amazing is that?! Mary Poppins took care of your kids when you couldn't!!!!!!! That is too cool. :D

cfrith
03-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I had pneumonia on Christmas and it was absolutely horrible. I couldn't breathe and they almost admitted me in the hospital because my pulse ox was so low. I really felt like I might die- it was that bad. Breathing treatments barely helped at all. I don't know how you were even able to get out of bed let alone into the park! I feel so bad for you! What a horrible time to have that. I got a pneumonia shot awhile after that's supposed to last 6 years. I pray I never have to go through that again.

MermaidHair
03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
cfirth: Sounds like you had it bad! I don't think I am that bad. They actually took my blood pressure and pulse ox at Disneyland and they were fine (same as in the hospital the next day). My lungs apparently sound clear too. The kicker for me was pleurisy pain with each breath. I am tired and short of breath at times but I bet I would have toughed it out if it weren't for the pain.

The Mary Poppins thing DEFINTELY made up for being sick in Disneyland...a bit.

cfrith
03-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes, that pain with each breath was the worst.

JDBlair
03-08-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear you fell ill at Disney. I'm glad you're feeling better. Thank you for the trip report. Happy Birthday to your baby!