PDA

View Full Version : GardenWalk planners aiming for ambience - Orange County Register, 3/7/06

Darkbeer
03-07-2006, 07:07 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/money/homepage/article_1032187.php

QuikQuote: Conventioneers and tourists soon could lodge in a trendy boutique hotel, a snazzy four-star venue or a family-oriented time share in the heart of an outdoor mall near Disneyland.
On Monday, the Anaheim Planning Commission paved the way for the GardenWalk complex to add more hotel and retail space to the long-planned entertainment center. Now an empty lot boarded by a colorful fence, the 20.3-acre GardenWalk is targeted to start construction in May.

Let me add some info that was in the print version of the article, but not in the online version...

Signed Leases:

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
Johnny Rockets
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Fragrance Center
Robeks Juice
Marble Slab Creamery

Signed Letters of intent or final stages of negotiation:

Roy's
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant
California Pizza Kitchen
The Cheesecake Factory
Chico's
White House/Black Market
Banana Republic
Bath and Body Works
New York & Company
XP Apparel
Discovery Channel Store

Andrew
03-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Is there anything on that list that's not a national chain, something you can see at any strip mall anywhere in the country?

I don't see a compelling reason to visit GardenWalk based on the tenant list.

nightdesigns
03-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Is there anything on that list that's not a national chain, something you can see at any strip mall anywhere in the country?

I don't see a compelling reason to visit GardenWalk based on the tenant list.

I agree, and since all of these types of places are close by: Block, Fashion Island, Spectrum there's really nothing there that would make me go there.

BTW, I didn't see in the article who the developer is? Sounds like an Irvine Company job.

Darkbeer
03-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Here is the developer info from a November 2005 Orange County Register article...

GardenWalk was purchased in March 2005 from Price Legacy for $30 million by Pacific Coast Capital Partners and Anaheim Development, a joint venture between Excel Realty Holdings, LLC, KBM Enterprises LLC and private investor Richard J. Nordlund.

The investors:

Excel Realty Holdings LLC: San Diego-based real estate and investment company that has been in real estate development for 27 years. The company's management team has been involved in more than $10 billion of real estate transactions throughout the U.S. and Canada.

KBM Enterprises LLC: Has more than 30 years of experience in both residential and commercial properties as well as new construction. The company has performed numerous renovations of apartments, condominiums and commercial developments.

Richard J. Nordlund: Private investor

Pacific Coast Capital Partners: With offices in Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Francisco, the company has invested more than $2.5 billion in California and other Western states.

nursemelis374
03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I thought it was going to be even closer than the Block and Fashion Island. I think it will be nice to have more eateries close by. I think the choices around DLR are poor.

They better put my H&M in!

TikiGeek
03-07-2006, 10:28 AM
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant
California Pizza Kitchen
The Cheesecake FactoryNice. Eventhough these are chains they have reliably good food.

hlbtimes2
03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Nice. Eventhough these are chains they have reliably good food.

I agree. Johnny Rockets is also a nice cheap choice, with decent food.

olegc
03-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree, and since all of these types of places are close by: Block, Fashion Island, Spectrum there's really nothing there that would make me go there.

BTW, I didn't see in the article who the developer is? Sounds like an Irvine Company job.

it depends - are you local or spending a week at the resort, and happen to be at a hotel on the east side? ... and maybe you don't want to walk all the way past the bus depot, esplanade, then out to Downtown Disney.

Not that I support all of these stores - but I think they won't have a problem filling the places - unless of course DLRs sudden increased popularity drops of.

This fall in line as well with trying to lure an NBA franchise and/or NFL back to Anaheim. it's close to DLR because they want to tap that lodging market and lure dollars away...

Darkbeer
03-07-2006, 01:23 PM
A lot of the mall is designed for the convention center business. If you see the other new developement, you are seeing things primary for the business person first.

The one thing I hope that happens, that the Gourmet Grocer signs a lease, yes, it wil be a bit more expensive than VONS or Food4Less, but it will be in walking distance.

elastin
03-07-2006, 07:09 PM
What this place needs is Lucille's BBQ, Applebees or Cracker Barrell to add variety.