PDA

View Full Version : Help, Disneyland/DCA on a budget and we have to eat too

Pages : [1] 2 3

MousercizeUs
03-07-2006, 07:07 AM
I have worked my fingers to the bone saving for our trip to DLR. My son in law is deploying to Iraq and we want to take him on a trip that will give him good memories while he is being shot at overseas next month:)
(we Love him sooo much!). SO, we are on a tight budget(who isn't) and will be at DGC for 3days. We want to bring a cooler for cold cuts/fruit. Also we want to bring cup a noodles for soup/Instant oatmeal. Is there a microwave available anywhere in the hotel for hotel guests?? I know this sounds cheap but I have to feed 6 people in between our 2 reserved character meals. How have YOU feed on a budget at DLR?????? Any suggestions are VERY welcome.

dlandnut
03-07-2006, 07:16 AM
When we went last June (12 of us) I packed one whole suitcase full of cereals, plastic bowls/spoons/plates/cups, napkins, granola bars, cookies, chocolate, licorice, crackers, cheese, etc. I bought some bananas in Downtown Disney (a bit expensive, but I don't think they let you fly with fruits in your suitcase, lol). Also bought milk for the cereal in the gift shop at the Disneyland Hotel. I did all this because we flew, and did not rent a car. If you have access to a car, suggest driving to one of the supermarkets nearby and buying some cereal, etc., to get you by. One MPer suggested taking the suitcase full of food (which I did) and that by the end of the trip, the suitcase would be empty to bring home souvenirs, etc., which proved to be the case. You learn a lot from your fellow MPers, that's for sure! :)

Malcon10t
03-07-2006, 07:17 AM
I have worked my fingers to the bone saving for our trip to DLR. My son in law is deploying to Iraq and we want to take him on a trip that will give him good memories while he is being shot at overseas next month:)
(we Love him sooo much!). SO, we are on a tight budget(who isn't) and will be at DGC for 3days. We want to bring a cooler for cold cuts/fruit. Also we want to bring cup a noodles for soup/Instant oatmeal. Is there a microwave available anywhere in the hotel for hotel guests?? I know this sounds cheap but I have to feed 6 people in between our 2 reserved character meals. How have YOU feed on a budget at DLR?????? Any suggestions are VERY welcome.My budget is usually $30 per person per day. This generally allows for one real meal a day and a quick meal. McDonalds is across the street. So is Mimi's where you get better values for your $. We do bring snack bars, crackers, etc. We also stay across the street where you get a microwave and a fridge in the suite. We have booked into the Residence inn next Christmas so we get the whole kitchen set up. I don't think the Grand California has microwave services for guests. It might if you are on the conceirge floor.

DrivingtoDisneyAZ
03-07-2006, 07:18 AM
I don't stay at places like GCH, for starters. We pick a cheap (but not too cheap) hotel like BWPPI or Carousel. Both offer large fridges with freezer section, plus microwave.

I make up sandwiches for the car ride to CA, individually wrapped and within easy reach. Throw some soda, water bottles in the cooler with, a few snacks, bags of chips -- all set.

I pack a larger cooler full of milk, juice, more soda and water, eggs, sandwich meats, cheeses, hot dogs, etc. Bring some bread or buns, cereals, snacks, popcorn, Mac N Cheese, etc......along with any necessary utensils (bowl to cook the mac n cheese in, for example). We can easily get by with one meal per day in the park. Breakfast is eaten in room, as is either lunch or supper.

Malcon10t
03-07-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't stay at places like GCH, for starters. We pick a cheap (but not too cheap) hotel like BWPPI or Carousel. Both offer large fridges with freezer section, plus microwave. My kids are a riot. I'll ask them if they want to stay across the street or at the DLH or GC, and my 17yos answer is always, I want to stay where I can eat the best. Staying across the street allows for longer stays, and more eating out.

Gymgirl975
03-07-2006, 07:32 AM
The rooms have coffee pots, so you could definitely make the Ramen soup cups in there!

03-07-2006, 07:37 AM
First, I hope your trip is full of wonderful memories. Best of wishes to you all.

As for saving money on food, I'd deep-six one of the character meals. One is fun but two is overkill and that is just IMO. I'd stay at a budget hotel that offers a free breakfast and make pb&j lunches up in the room.

hlbtimes2
03-07-2006, 07:38 AM
The rooms have coffee pots, so you could definitely make the Ramen soup cups in there!

That is what I was going to say as well- use the coffee pot to make hot water for cup o' noodles and instant oatmeal. See if you can request an empty fridge, I think you can. The one in the room will be full of minibar items, leaving you NO space for your food. Have some meals at White Water snacks. The food is good, and the prices arent bad for what you get.

MousercizeUs
03-07-2006, 08:01 AM
WOW, what great suggestions, and so soon after I posted! I think we'll try the suitcase full of food idea, use the coffee pot for soup/oatmeal and beg for a fridge!
(we requested one but they won't guarantee one). I feel calmer now that I got some good ideas for meals from everyone. I was starting to freak out about the meals so much I was beginning to forget that the most important part of this trip is to relax and have fun with my family!!! woooo!
Thanks Everyone, I will file a report when I get back.

T-RAT
03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
We always eat breakfast in our room(cereal, muffins, yogurt, etc.), make sandwiches for lunch and take them in our back pack along with various snacks such as trail mix, string cheese, fruit, and a few treats. We then can but a treat or two and eat dinner out. Sometimes we choose to eat lunch out instead, and then each dinner in our room after swimming.
Have a great trip!

Quinten27
03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Speaking of food......does anyone know if there is a Subway near DLR?

Malcon10t
03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Speaking of food......does anyone know if there is a Subway near DLR?There's a Quiznos down by The Desert Palm at katella and Harbor. And one is going in at the Carousel inn. There is also a subway just past the Anaheim Plaza Hotel on Harbor (across the street from TOT approx.)

TikiGeek
03-07-2006, 01:42 PM
There's always Pizza Delivery. ;)

markarkaymat
03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
I thought I read somewhere that White Water Snacks has a microwave around the corner or something (I haven't checked out white water snacks yet). Also, I thought there was a microwave in the Baby center in the parks (to warm up formula). Would they mind if you used it to warm up food?
This may not appeal to some but we often ate the ramen raw (growing up), we would crush up the noodles (not too much but into bite size or smaller pieces) open the bag (be careful not to tear it up too much) and pour the seasoning packet onto the noodles and shake to distribute seasoning. To me, delicious, other might not like. It might be a little salty but in the end I think you get less sodium cause you're not actually eating all of the salt (most of it falls to the bottom of the package). This is the regular package ones, not the cup o noodle style.
Try to find tips on where they serve large portions that you guys could maybe share. So far I hear that the tortilla jo's take out window has fairly large portions and white water snacks as hlbtimes2 mentioned.
Schedule your character meal so it could maybe cover 2 meals. If it's for breakfast try going for a later breakfast and turn it into brunch and just eat a small snack to hold you over til dinner or if it is dinner have it a little earlier.
I second Mimi's. We often left with leftovers that we'd store in the fridge and eat later. And while you're up there I've read that the store in HoJos is decently priced for things you can maybe use to make your lunches and snacks.
*edit* I forgot to add if you have AAA or the Disney VISA you can get a 10% discount on some meals. AAA give 10% off at PCH Grill, Goofy's, Ariel's Grotto & Plaza Inn hopefully your 2 character meals are at those if you have AAA.

JookyG
03-07-2006, 02:15 PM
My suggestion would be to cancel the Grand Californian reservation, book across the street at the Tropicana for $99/night, and eat at all the nice restaurants you want with the money you save. I aspire to stay at the resort hotels someday, but it's so hard to justify when I'm just there to sleep. Also, seems like all the low-cost motels around DLR have fridges, microwaves and coffeemakers and offer continental breakfasts.

I'm assuming here by "DGC" that you mean the Grand Californian hotel. Putting that in the same sentence as "on a budget" seems like an oxymoron.

Quinten27
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
It seems to me that if your on that tight of a budget, you may not have wanted to pick the most expensive hotel. Staying at the PP hotel over the DGC would save you plenty of money that could be used towards meals. Just a thought.

Nancy
03-07-2006, 02:19 PM
On our last trip I tried something different, bringing a 10 pack of frozen burroitos in the cooler. It kept the cooler cool on the trip (along with a couple of large blue ices) and after they thaw, they're fine for a couple of days in the fridge till consumed. Bring a jar of salsa or a can of chilie...dinner,yum. I also brought a bag of precut salad and dressing. A ziplock bag with shredded cheese of whatever to add is easy and cheeper than buying a salad at DL.:)

junglemom
03-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Our last trip we were on a super tight budget. We just took an ice chest up with us and kept refilling it with ice from the vending machine. Then you can have your cold stuff. We would pack as many granola, fruitsnacks and apples as we could into our backpacks. Also we had some candy we picked up at an after Christmas sale and brought some of that. That worked so great at keeping the kids from asking for a frozen banana or churro every 5 minutes. We would eat breakfast at the hotel, snack on our backpack stuff until 2 and have our one big meal of the day. Most meals around the park are quite large. We then would snack the rest of the day, a carmel popcorn or churro thrown in here or there. It worked out great. Oh and don't forget the restaraunts with fountains that you can get refills on drinks at... Pizza Port, Rancho del Zocalo and there is one more in NOS(can't remember which) Also, Market House on Mainstreets free coffee refills all day with receipt.

DianeM
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Disneyland is generally our "cheap" vaction of the year (the expensive one is usually to Hawaii or Montreal). We always stay off-site, generally as close to the park as possible, and always at a hotel that has a fridge(also nice so that my husband can have his one beer a day, without which he feels a bit lost). A lot of the hotels offer breakfast, but I like my Raisin Bran, so I generally buy milk and have that every morning. My husband just likes coffee for breakfast. We take breaks in the afternoon, and on the first day we travel to knotts chicken take-out and get enough food for two evening meals/late night snacks. I take bottled water into the park and re-fill it at drinking fountains. We don't eat a lot of meals in restaurants, but instead snack when we feel hungry, often sharing snacks (a half a churro is as good as a whole one). We usually have a bread bowl or teriyaki for lunch. I generally plan on spending about a hundred dollars on food for the two of us, plus enough for one nice meal at blue bayou.

(we Love him sooo much!). SO, we are on a tight budget(who isn't) and will be at DGC for 3days. We want to bring a cooler for cold cuts/fruit. Also we want to bring cup a noodles for soup/Instant oatmeal. Is there a microwave available anywhere in the hotel for hotel guests?? I know this sounds cheap but I have to feed 6 people in between our 2 reserved character meals. How have YOU feed on a budget at DLR?????? Any suggestions are VERY welcome.

Minnie66
03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
We seem to be in the minority but I, like you, choose to stay nicer and eat cheaper. Someone suggested sharing meals -- we found most places we ate had such large portions that other than DH we could easily split between 2 of us. Another suggestion, buy kids meals when possible. They are plenty of food for most but a better buget. Good luck on a memorable trip ..... and give you son-in-law a thank for me.....a citizen greatful for men like him!!!

twist1980
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I'd stay at a budget hotel that offers a free breakfast and make pb&j lunches up in the room.

PB&J's are great....just don't forget the bread at home like I did! :rolleyes:

I love Nutri-Grain bars for in-park quick snacks. Also bring water bottles and re-fill them at water fountains, that will save you a bundle on soda and in-park water bottles (generally $2.50 each).

If you do decide to eat breakfast try Club Buzz in Tomorrowland. My boyfriend ate there one morning and it was only $8 for eggs, bacon, potatoes, a muffin and OJ. Or La Brea Bakery in DTD has great pastries for quick breakfasts. We also got pastries at the DLH for a decent price, I'm sure Whitewater Snacks offers similar stuff!

amarvel
03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I agree with the others, stay off site, use that money to buy things :) We use to always stay onsite until they remolded everything and the harbor hotels were just as close and once we stayed off site we realized we weren't missing anything. We stay at the best western park place right across the street and its 1/4 the price of the DGC, then we just eat at the park and buy souvenirs that we want and still have extra money to spare. We are going next month and priced it out and the difference for our 3 nights was $700 and that was for the cheapest room.

I also agree Mimi's is great, its a must stop. We go there for at least one if not two of our meals each time we go because the portions are great and the prices are great too. I agree you can share several meals. My parents usually eat in NOS at the terrace where they can get a French dip that is big enough to split, and then a fruit platter too. They both are satisfied and it costs about $13 or so for the both of them.

oh and what about easy mac??? all you need is a microwave in your room and water, that could be a great snack!

cfrith
03-07-2006, 05:31 PM
This may not appeal to some but we often ate the ramen raw (growing up), we would crush up the noodles (not too much but into bite size or smaller pieces) open the bag (be careful not to tear it up too much) and pour the seasoning packet onto the noodles and shake to distribute seasoning. To me, delicious, other might not like. It might be a little salty but in the end I think you get less sodium cause you're not actually eating all of the salt (most of it falls to the bottom of the package). .

Oh my gosh, we did that when I was growing up too....I thought we were just crazy!

cfrith
03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=JookyG

I'm assuming here by "DGC" that you mean the Grand Californian hotel. Putting that in the same sentence as "on a budget" seems like an oxymoron.[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought too!!! LOL

cfrith
03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Or La Brea Bakery in DTD has great pastries for quick breakfasts. We also got pastries at the DLH for a decent price, I'm sure Whitewater Snacks offers similar stuff!

This reminded me of our first morning on our last trip to DLR. We got a couple of bagels w/ cream cheese and juice at La Brea and it cost about $20. DH still rants about that 2 years later!