PDA

View Full Version : safety concerns?

basketballmom
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I am planning a trip at the end of june/early july with just myself and 3 daughters. hubby went with us last summer, but will have to work this year. here's my question: we have never stayed on property for budget reasons. if it is just "us girls", is there any advantage to staying on property? i am thinking of the late night walk back to the hotel and also just general hotel parking/checking in issues. we stayed on harbor last time and i never felt unsafe walking after midnight. but i always had DH with me.
Is it worth the extra $$ to stay onsite, or am i just being a scaredy cat?
thanks for any info!

Susan L
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
The advantage of staying on property is the location, atmosphere and for us it just feels like we are at home. Feb we stayed off property for the first time and we did not like it one bit. I would much rather spend the extra money for the amenities and the location of an on property site. We stayed at the HoJo for the first three nights and then moved to the GCH for our last 5 nights. We never felt unsafe walking back and forth to the HoJo but, the walk was horrible especially after a long day and night at the parks. We sure missed staying on property though and I will never stay off property again.

TikiGeek
03-06-2006, 01:54 PM
I feel that the properties across from DLR are safe in general. There are usually groups of people walking back to their hotels at all reasonable hours so you won't be walking alone. We stay at HoJo's, I feel that it's a safe and clean place to stay. As always, use good judgement and you should have no problems. :)

GeminiAngel
03-06-2006, 02:00 PM
If you stay at best western park place inn, its right there at the crosswalk.
Leave the park, cross the street. Bingo! you're at your hotel!

disneyjunkie
03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
The one other advantage since its just the girls is depending on their ages I know that when it is late and my kids were done they were so done and without another adult to help getting back to the hotel its easier on property. It has always been so much easier to get back to our rooms, no waiting for ART or walking around the streets the walk back thru DT Disney is still the Disney experience as are the hotels so it takes the younger ones minds off being tired and cranky. And the monorail is a big hep just get in line early for the last ride home of the evening. But if it fails and you have to walk thru DT disney its still ok , lot of people brightly lit , depending on the time a little music from the outdoor vendors , also most lobbies have somewhere to get some water or hot choco to take to your room to wind down with.

Keurigirl
03-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I think it's just as "safe" staying off property. We have stayed at the Embassy Suites in Anaheim, and they are fabulous, especially for families. What you get is a one bedroom suite, with a living room and bedroom, and small kitchenette. You also get a free FULL breakfast in the morning, it's a huge continental spread plus all the hot food you can have. It's served buffet/cafeteria style and it's so worth the money.

This is why we stay off property- free breakfast every day is really worth it, plus the extra room in the hotel.

The shuttles are usually free, or cheap, and run all the time so you never have to "walk" to your hotel.