PDA

View Full Version : Now, Disney.com says SSL is closed thru Sept 11, 2003!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
04-11-2002, 02:22 AM
Should we say NO MAS!!!!

DisneylandKid
04-11-2002, 05:01 AM
That is absolutely ridiculous. Are they even doing anything to revamp it?

zapppop
04-11-2002, 03:14 PM
SuperStar Limo is not coming back.

CaliforniaCrazy
04-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Where does it say that at Disney.com? I looked all over, and couldn't find anything that even remotely mentions that. :confused:

Darkbeer
04-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Here is the link....

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/ResortInfo/HoursAndShows/index?DCA&DLP&DTD&DRH

Just pick the date of your choosing between today and September of 2003, and you will be given a list of attractions on refurbishment.

Uncle Dick
04-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
That is absolutely ridiculous. Are they even doing anything to revamp it?
There's now a big walled off section that encompasses the SSL facade and the Hollywood Backlot Stage and completely cuts off the path between WWTBAMPI and Hollywood and Dine. It's a "hard hat area". Looks like something is going on.....

Darkbeer
04-11-2002, 08:04 PM
The construction area is to add shade for the seating of the Hollywood Backlot stage area, as far as I know, it has nothing to do with Superstar Limo.

Uncle Dick
04-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
The construction area is to add shade for the seating of the Hollywood Backlot stage area, as far as I know, it has nothing to do with Superstar Limo.
That is logical.... but it doesn't explain why the walled off area encompasses SSL. Perhaps just for easier transport of materials from offstage?

Kevin Yee
04-11-2002, 11:22 PM
Perhaps this is the appropriate thread to publicize my April Fool's Day website I made this year for April first: "Save Superstar Limo"

http://www.mousepants.com/mistryl/limo/

(caution: it's picture heavy. Yes, those are just small pictures, not thumbnails, but there are a lot)

Pooh
04-15-2002, 06:33 PM
The area might be closed due to the rumor that a Tower of Terror is being built in that section. I was told by a CM that there were plans for one, though after 9/11, they may not call it "Tower" of Terror.

Techie7
04-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Pooh
The area might be closed due to the rumor that a Tower of Terror is being built in that section. I was told by a CM that there were plans for one, though after 9/11, they may not call it "Tower" of Terror.

Hollywood Tower of Terror is currently being built though it is on the other side of the Hyperion theatre. It will retain the same name. As it is being built on the other side of the hyperion I highly doubt that this is causing SSL area to be closed. It was clear on Sat. that they were building a new overhang and shade area.

Morrigoon
04-15-2002, 07:26 PM
Well, if the wall includes SSL, that eliminates the possibility of guests going to the entrance and having to be met by a cm to explain the closure ;)

Brown Monkey
04-16-2002, 05:40 PM
Are you guys sure it's Sept. 200"3"?

Mouse
04-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee
Perhaps this is the appropriate thread to publicize my April Fool's Day website I made this year for April first: "Save Superstar Limo"

http://www.mousepants.com/mistryl/limo/

(caution: it's picture heavy. Yes, those are just small pictures, not thumbnails, but there are a lot)

Oh, Gosh! Your site- It- I- Aaaaah!!

That site really shows how corny and unimaginative the whole thing is.

My favorite part of the ride is Jackie Chan. He has a great cartoon.

Iceman
04-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee

I liked SuperStar Limo but I think even I would start to go crazy if I had spent enough time in there to take all those pictures!

MonorailMan
05-06-2002, 07:06 AM
On Tue. They Had A Big Wall around SSL and the stage. I woner what there doing. :)

Uncle Dick
05-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
On Tue. They Had A Big Wall around SSL and the stage. I wonder what there doing. :)
Building the official "Hollywood Pictures Backlot Stage Shade Structure". It looks pretty much done at this point.

Disneylandman
05-06-2002, 08:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Keep it closed and totally redo it

MagicBeliever
05-06-2002, 10:10 PM
and to think, stupidstale lemon was the one ride we could jump on five times in a row with no wait at any time during the day.

WDWalways
05-07-2002, 10:29 AM
I truly don't understand why everyone hates this ride -- I thought it was very cute -- alot of people call it "two-dimensional" but the caricatures of the celebrities were just the opposite in my opinion --- it also was one of the only child-friendly rides in DCA so it just seems a shame to do away with it --- but I know I'm in the minority here so I guess if so many DCA regulars hate it so much then I guess it should go. Living in NY, I don't get out to the West Coast as often as I'd like so I've only been to Disneyland 3 times but I am coming back for my 4th time this June and you may all think I'm crazy but I was actually looking forward to Superstar Limo and was disappointed when I saw it listed as under refurbishment for my dates. Oh well.

Alex S.
05-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Oh, don't hedge your opinions.

Yes, you are definitely in the minority, but that doesn't make you wrong. There are no absolutes when talking about aesthetics.

If it worked for you, then that is all that really matters, and of course you are sad to see it go.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Personally, I was appalled by Superstar Limo, but then I am in the minorities for enjoying Innoventions and not liking Space Mountain.

Ghoulish Delight
05-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
Personally, I was appalled by Superstar Limo, but then I am in the minorities for enjoying Innoventions and not liking Space Mountain. :eek: :eek:

You know, I definitely tend to agree with your original point, Alex, that a difference of asthetic opinion does not imply that one side is "wrong," but you're testing my faith in that belief! ;)

HBDisneyPrincess
05-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Hey Alex,
I dig Innoventions, too.
HBDP:D

Uncle Dick
05-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by WDWalways
I truly don't understand why everyone hates this ride -- I thought it was very cute -- alot of people call it "two-dimensional" but the caricatures of the celebrities were just the opposite in my opinion --- it also was one of the only child-friendly rides in DCA so it just seems a shame to do away with it --- but I know I'm in the minority here so I guess if so many DCA regulars hate it so much then I guess it should go. Living in NY, I don't get out to the West Coast as often as I'd like so I've only been to Disneyland 3 times but I am coming back for my 4th time this June and you may all think I'm crazy but I was actually looking forward to Superstar Limo and was disappointed when I saw it listed as under refurbishment for my dates. Oh well.
Hey there WDWalways! Don't worry, there are lots of closet SSL fans out there (myself included). It was the shortest line for a dark ride in the resort and an absolutely bizarre experience. I think I can safely say that SSL wins the award for one of the most unique Disney attractions, and in a park with few standouts, it really was an enjoyable ride.

MagicBeliever
05-07-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Hey there WDWalways! Don't worry, there are lots of closet SSL fans out there (myself included). It was the shortest line for a dark ride in the resort and an absolutely bizarre experience. I think I can safely say that SSL wins the award for one of the most unique Disney attractions, and in a park with few standouts, it really was an enjoyable ride.

i dont know about enjoyable, but unique and bizarre surely fit. all in all, if it had sucked something fierce, we wouldn't have hit it twice in a row, but it was amusing at the very least. i wouldn't mind if it stayed open, simply because its just another ride closed down that probably wont be replaced anytime soon.