PDA

View Full Version : meal options at DLR (thru website)

rkrox79
03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi :) I was just checking out reservation options at disneyland.com and there were meal options like Disney Character Breakfast, Lunch with the Princesses, and then Donald's three day meal plan, goofy's four day plan etc.
I know what ti character breakfasts and stuff like that are, my question is about the meal plans.

Has anyone purchased these? The description says that for donald's three day plan you get a character breakfast at the hotel, a breakfast at the park and then vouchers in 10 and 5 dollar increments after that.

First of all are the vouchers only good for the restaurants like Ariel's grotto, goofy's kitchen etc? or are they for use at the smaller food vendors as well?

And do you think it's worth it? The description says it's a value of 8 meals, but it doesn't seem like the amount of vouchers would be enough to pay for the 6 additional meals (the meals in addition to the breakfasts earlier listed).

Thanks for your help!

Quinten27
03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Personally, I don't recommend the food vouchers unless you want to pre-pay as many expenses as possible. The vouchers can only be used in the parks, at almost any food vendor, but each voucher is for a set amount and you can't get change back. So say you order a meal that costs $6.50, and you only have $5.00 and $10.00 vouchers. You either have to pay the extra $1.50 in cash or give up the $10 voucher for less then its worth. I got them last time we went, and ended up with about $30 worth of vouchers at the end of the vacation, which we used to buy misc candies to bring home as presents. The total value of the vouchers are equal to the amount they cost, so you aren't saving any money by getting them, you just risk having them left over at the end of the trip.

My advice, just save the money and pay cash for meals when you are there. That way you aren't limited to just eating in the parks just to try to use the vouchers up.

annieb727
03-03-2006, 02:50 PM
my suggestion would be, instead of purchasing the meal plans, if you want to "pay ahead" and plan to eat mainly in the park is to buy Disney Dollars - youc an use those for food and souveniers -- the cool thing is when you have them, you don't have to worry about spending them elsewhere (we're not too great at saving up money) - we did that when we went in october - it worked really well

vegasmommytoDL
03-03-2006, 03:10 PM
my suggestion would be, instead of purchasing the meal plans, if you want to "pay ahead" and plan to eat mainly in the park is to buy Disney Dollars - youc an use those for food and souveniers -- the cool thing is when you have them, you don't have to worry about spending them elsewhere (we're not too great at saving up money) - we did that when we went in october - it worked really well

Only problem with Disney Dollars is that most people tend to spend more money when they pay for things with Disney Dollars as apposed to using real cash. Because you basically feel like you are paying with fake money (Or so they say)

I agree about the vouchers. When we went last year I thought about buying them because at first I thought it was a deal. I thought maybe you would get a "dinner" voucher good for any dinner, etc. It doesn't work that way, and as the first poster said... you can't get change back. If your meal is $4 and you give them a $5 you are out that dollar! I don't understand why you can't get change back. Or if you really want to use them, buy a meal plan for less days than you are staying. So if you are staying 5 days, buy a 3 day plan (for example).

Another thing I hate about it is that there is no discount for the Character Meals. If you add everything up, its nearly a dollar for dollar value, no savings! In fact... if you book through AAA and order a character meal you don't get a discount. But, if you make a regular reservation and pay there and present your AAA card you get 10% off. What a jip!

Hakuna Makarla
03-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I aways use the meal voucher system!
Why,? Because they are easy, and I can get them way in advance and not have to worry about all the money I am going to need for food etc. Some people are good at saving to the very end, I always seem to need things for the kids and spend my money and then am struggling to save enough up. I always get the meal vouchers as they are wonderful help to me. we are doing theStory tellers this year for the carector breakfast, and the meal vouchers will be our lunches and dinners. and or snacks. I alsways carry extra $1.00 bills because you do not get change back from these.
Say you want somethign for 3.50 well you if you use a five dollar voucher you get no change back. but say you and some one with you wants something for 3.50 the you give a 5.00 voucher, and 2 $1.00 bills. Believe it or not, when I get these it takes the worry out of needing so much money for food. I get mine thru my travel agent, and take up to 3 months to pay for them, and my trip (or longer if need be. ) trhen what ever I save up is our fun money. This year we are going to knotts, and to midevil times. Also we have extra' for all kinds of goodies,( to bring home and for relatives) and plenty of sit down meals in the park. We use the vouchers for lunch mainly and lots of snacks :) and of course the breakfast with the
characters.
Some people do not like them ,I do and will always get them if they are offered. JUst makes it easier to me.

ktrm
03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
if you book through AAA and order a character meal you don't get a discount. But, if you make a regular reservation and pay there and present your AAA card you get 10% off. What a jip!

Are you serious? You know I had a bad feeling about making reservations for the character meal through AAA and ended up booking it myself. My friend wanted to know why in the world I bothered and did not just use the convenience of AAA. I just stood there dumbfounded but now I have an intelligent answer. Thank You.

I've also been somewhat suspicious of the hotel/ticket packages through AAA. It always seems as if I can get a better deal by just getting the tickets through AAA but booking the hotel myself.

rkrox79
03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
thanks so much for your answers! I appreciate it a lot and have a better idea of what to do with my money now :)

Gilliegrl
03-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Hakuna
You sound a lot like myself. Seems like at the last minute something comes up and dips into my disney fund. Im doing the meal vouchers this year and will see how it goes. I didnt plan on doing it but I booked the th wdtc and now dh wont be able to go so they told me to bring his stuff by and they will give me meal vouchers equivalent to the dollar amount. So, thats one less thing to worry about is the food. Im not too worried about if I go over kicking in an extra dollar or so, since Im getting what I ordered anyway, I dont like the idea of losing the extra money though so hopefully we will be okay. I think it will actually allow me to indulge a bit more than normal just knowing that I have the vouchers on hand instead of worrying about dipping into the overall funds.