PDA

View Full Version : San Diego -> Disneyland (and back)... the drive?

markarkaymat
03-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I just got my airfare booked for some training in San Diego for work. My last day of training is on March 30th (Thursday) and I am assuming that I will be getting out of training by 3pm and then I will have to get dropped off at the airport to pick up my rental car to drive up to Anaheim. My Mom & DD will be flying in on the 30th and I am hoping that my aunt can pick them up and then take them to her house in Rowland Hts? (korea townish area). How long will the drive take on Thursday afternoon at roughly 4:30 pm? Also, I have to drive back down to San Diego to catch my 9am flight home. I was thinking of leaving the area (not sure if we'll get a hotel yet or just end up staying with my aunt) at 4am. I hope to be at the san diego airport by 7 am to have enough time to return the car and check in (I like to be at the airport about 2hours early to check in). Will this be enough time?

The old man
03-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Rowland Hts. where? There is no real Koreatown, Chinatown or Japan Town in San Diego. There are just some small enclaves.
David

Matt Hamand
03-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't quite understand your time table.

If you mean how long will it take to drive from SD to DLR at 4:30pm on a Thursday the answer is about 2-3 hours traffic depending.

Your flight leaves at 9:00am the following Friday?

That's going to be a pretty abbreviated trip. By the time you get to DLR, park, and tram in, it will be close to 8:00. There won't be much time to spend in the parks. Looks like DL closes at 11:00 pm.

markarkaymat
03-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Sorry, I meant...
How long will the drive be going from San Diego to Anaheim on March 30th (Thursday) at about 4:30 p.m.
and how long will the drive be going from Anaheim to San Diego on April 5th in the early morning. My flight leave at 9 am and I want to be at the airport by 7.

The old man
03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Matt was right--2 to 3 hours on Thurs. Probably right at 2 1/2 hours. Leaving at 5am in the morning should bring you to the airport at 7am. Even if there is a slight problem you're looking at 7:30am at an airport that really isn't that hard to navigate and doesn't usually require two full hour arrival before departure.

David

markarkaymat
03-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks! I will be doing the driving solo which shouldn't be so bad (unless I have to pee then the navigating will be bad for me). At least now I know what to expect. I was nervous about missing my flight home. I haven't ever used SAN so it's good to know it won't be hard to find my way around.

The old man
03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks! I will be doing the driving solo which shouldn't be so bad (unless I have to pee then the navigating will be bad for me). At least now I know what to expect. I was nervous about missing my flight home. I haven't ever used SAN so it's good to know it won't be hard to find my way around.
Smallest airport in the 8th largest city in the US.

David

Matt Hamand
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
If possible, I would recommend waiting until Friday to drive to DLR. The traffic won't be as bad and you won't be hurried to get checked in and get into the parks.

olegc
03-02-2006, 12:12 PM
I just got my airfare booked for some training in San Diego for work. My last day of training is on March 30th (Thursday) and I am assuming that I will be getting out of training by 3pm and then I will have to get dropped off at the airport to pick up my rental car to drive up to Anaheim. My Mom & DD will be flying in on the 30th and I am hoping that my aunt can pick them up and then take them to her house in Rowland Hts? (korea townish area). How long will the drive take on Thursday afternoon at roughly 4:30 pm? Also, I have to drive back down to San Diego to catch my 9am flight home. I was thinking of leaving the area (not sure if we'll get a hotel yet or just end up staying with my aunt) at 4am. I hope to be at the san diego airport by 7 am to have enough time to return the car and check in (I like to be at the airport about 2hours early to check in). Will this be enough time?

thr northbound drive from Airport thru san diego is KILLER at that time. It it the only path north from the majority of san diego downtown to North County and HWY 78 (near Oceanside). It alone will take 1 hour to 90 minutes to go from downtown SD to Irvine. Then - you will hit another wall called the North 5 thru Irvine, Santa Ana, and the Orange Crush - you have to cross so many freeway interchanges...

Plus - remember - in LA area Thursday is actually a getaway day for many people - so Thursday commute is horrid.

If there was someone you could carpool with that would be great. If not - to me (and this is my opinion) you're looking at 3 hours minimum at that time.

markarkaymat
03-02-2006, 12:46 PM
If I were to leave friday morning the traffic would be better? I was hoping to go to Disneyland on Friday...maybe I should drive down a little later on Thursday night. About what time should I leave on Thursday night...would traffic be better at 6:30?

ErikBsandiego
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Lived in SD 20 years.

I think your drives are going to be bears. Downtown to DLR can be done in about an hour and 40 minutes but north on the five during rush hour will be a killer. Give yourself about an extra 60 minutes on you drive up to Anahiem.

I am a bit worried about your return trip as well. To get to SAN by 7 I would leave DLR NO LATER than 5 a.m. You really want to try to get to the 5/805 merge by no later tha 6:30a.m. Once past the merge, however, it is smooth sailing and very easy to get to SAN.

markarkaymat
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the help. I am hoping to "skip" training or get out early on Thursday...hopefully...or maybe I will pick up the rental car thursday morning (or Wed. night) and that way right after training I can just head straight out to DLR. That seems like a better option. I would much rather drive while the sun is still out than to try to manage my way after the sun sets through traffic.

As for coming back, ErikB has convinced me to stick to my 4am departure, better to be early than late!

emilousmom
03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
I also agree at the time you want to leave Thursday, it will be bad! I would either leave later(around 6ish) or earlier(around 1ish) . As far as coming back, I owuld also rather be safe than sorry and go for the 4 am time. You just never now!!

Ang