PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes tour?

berol
04-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Looks like the idea of Magic Mornings isn't dead, tho there might not be rides included and you gots to pay, assuming they go through with plans.

"we're planning to offer one tour in the early morning as the stage is being set for Disneyland... slated to begin sometime this summer."
http://disney.go.com/insider/today/page2.html

I was joking elsewhere that the tour will be giving people a broom.

greg

DisneylandKid
04-10-2002, 05:16 AM
Hmm... could be interesting. I doubt they'll actually go BEHIND the scenes, they will probably just show you Disneyland setting up. It would be way to expensive, I'm sure, if it was actually a backstage tour. Though that would be very cool!

hbquikcomjamesl
04-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Disneyland actually did offer a backstage tour, for about two weeks. I was one of the lucky ones who was in the right place at the right time to participate in the experiment. They spent a great deal on special printed materials, and (I was told) the wardrobe department actually started work on a new costume.

The experimental program included two tours. The morning tour included such things as the Animation Building, backstage areas at Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, and the Wardrobe dept.; I don't recall exactly what it covered, because I missed that tour, and by the time I returned to take it (and have the appropriate five visas stamped into my backstage passport), the plug had been pulled on the program. The afternoon tour included a trip around the park aboard the Lilly belle, a look at the Omnimover mechanism and the control room at the Haunted Mansion, a trip to the Roundhouse, and a look inside the control tower of Space Mountain (and the opportunity to be "backdoored" onto the ride if you wanted; at the time, though, my back was a bit too sore for thrill rides).

The plug was pulled after about 2 weeks, and the official story was that it was never intended to be anything more than an experiment. Some of the non-backstage parts of the tours (including, if I remember, going into the Disney Gallery through the quasi-backstage back door, and [for the first year or two] the Lilly Belle) wound up in the Walt's Footsteps tour.

WDW offers a number of backstage tours, including the $200 all-day, with an all-you-can-eat lunch, Backstage Magic. But then again, WDW isn't nearly so cramped for space as DLR.

berol
04-10-2002, 10:39 AM
I'm figuring it'll just be a quickie tour during the half-hour after Main St. opens, show rides getting prepped and such. It's gotta end in a store so you can "see the shelves being restocked." ;^)

What I'd wish is they'd split the tour groups over 5 or so attractions and rotate everyone thru them. A tour guide, 1 stationed at each ride, would give their spiel about the ride's area to the queue every few minutes and direct people to whatever ride was next in the rotation. Park hours would revert to what they were with Magic Mornings. Hard to say how many people would be into paying another $15 or more above what they're already paying for admission if my fantasy is even vaguely close to being right. If it were a crowded day and I only had 1 day at the park, I'd pay an extra $15 so I wouldn't have to do a few C-ticket lines. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

Back to reality, I bet there'll only be 1 or 2 rides if any.

greg