PDA

View Full Version : Fun/Cheap things to do?

potterphreak
02-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Besides Disneyland, what else is there to do that is somewhat cheap AND fun? We are going to the beach on Thursday, an evening taping of Jenna Elfmans TV Show on Friday (DH is a HUUUUUGE fan) and then DL on Saturday. Anything we haven't done yet that we should look into? He doesn't want to do Universal OR Magic Mountain. Thanks!

CariBelle
02-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Ripley's Believe It...Or Not musuem, head to Hollywood and hang out at the Hollywood & Highland complex- great place to do some fun shopping, see the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater, and catch lunch.

Hakuna Makarla
02-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Ripley's Believe It...Or Not musuem, head to Hollywood and hang out at the Hollywood & Highland complex- great place to do some fun shopping, see the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater, and catch lunch.
my rachal would love this!! what is the cost to go in? thank you much for the tip, I needed it :)

Crazy4DL
02-27-2006, 09:47 AM
my rachal would love this!! what is the cost to go in? thank you much for the tip, I needed it :)

Karla, you better add a week to your vacation :p :D ;)

Hakuna Makarla
02-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Karla, you better add a week to your vacation :p :D ;)

I know I so wish!! I am so excited !! I am over doing it again arn't I LOL! come on you can tell me I am booking to much to do again, I am like that! darn me, well if we do not go to dinner ( I want to) we can go to ripleys, she loves that show!

Crazy4DL
02-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I know we always seem to think of so many things we want to do. It happens when you don't get to go that often.

One of the best trips we had was my DD and I took her three kids for 5 days and all we did was hang out at DL. It was very nice and relaxing and such fun.

Not that I am suggesting you and Rachel do that. I think Knotts, Medieval Times (you do know that is right by Knotts right? - you could do that the evening you are at Knotts) and Disneyland is nice and doable since it is just you and Rachel. She is getting older and will be able to go and go. I drug my kids around in 1980 and when we went again in 1989 they were dragging me :p

Opus1guy
02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
You could go down to Balboa Island. Walk around. Small shops and restaurants. Famous Balboa Bars (ice cream, that is...but they have the other kind too ;)). Frozen bananas fresh-dipped with your favorite toppings. Then take your car on the famous Balboa Ferry and cross over to Balboa peninsula. Stop there and visit the Fun Zone and the shops and restaurants there. Lots of fun short boat tour/cruise options too.

You can zip down the coast from there and even hit Laguna Beach.

Another option would be head over to the Fullerton or Anaheim Amtrak stations, and board one of the Pacific Surfliner or San Diegian or whatever they call the coast trains these days...and train on down to San Juan Capistrano to visit the famous Mission and area. Some good Mexican food around the Mission. The train is fun and gives you something different to do. You could even continue on down all the way to San Diego if you really wanted (but watch the last train return times closely, or you could get stranded!).

CariBelle
02-27-2006, 11:36 AM

Ripley's or Hollywood & Highland? H&H is free, you can find info on it at www.hollywoodandhighland.com They also have a really fun bowling alley.

I forgot to add that the H&H complex is IN Hollywood, so it's a bit of a drive.

Sub Maniak
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
:fez: Try the Fun Zone and Market Place by Knotts!
:p Try Downtown Disney!
:p :p See LA!
*La Brea Tar Pits
*Hollywood!
(Don't use too much gas!:) )

Raiting
:fez: Go For it!
:p Think About it
:p :p DO IT!

rentayenta
02-27-2006, 12:25 PM
You could go down to Balboa Island. Walk around. Small shops and restaurants. Famous Balboa Bars (ice cream, that is...but they have the other kind too ;)). Frozen bananas fresh-dipped with your favorite toppings. Then take your car on the famous Balboa Ferry and cross over to Balboa peninsula. Stop there and visit the Fun Zone and the shops and restaurants there. Lots of fun short boat tour/cruise options too.

This is a great suggestion. With the beaches so close I think getting away from Anaheim/Buena Park is a fab idea. Belmont Shore, Huntington Beach, and Seal Beach are also pretty close by. They all have fun streets to window shop and grab a good meal. Plus a walk on the beach is about as good as it gets and cheap too.

Werner
02-27-2006, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=Opus1guy]You could go down to Balboa Island. Walk around. Small shops and restaurants. Famous Balboa Bars (ice cream, that is...but they have the other kind too ;)). Frozen bananas fresh-dipped with your favorite toppings. Then take your car on the famous Balboa Ferry and cross over to Balboa peninsula. Stop there and visit the Fun Zone and the shops and restaurants there. Lots of fun short boat tour/cruise options too.
QUOTE]

I second (er, third?) this idea -- cheap and fun indeed! Balboa is such a little gem of a place, not far from Disneyland (maybe 20 minutes) and feels like a whole world apart. Not sure about the traffic on a weekday, as I always would go on a Sat or Sun. Also, try to get there late afternoon so you can take in the beautiful sunset and the twinkly lights of twilight. Peer into the waterfront houses, like so many dollhouses, breathe in the salty air perfumed by all the jasmine bushes, hear the gentle lapping of the water and the doleful dinging of the buoys...and you'll be a believer! It's so quiet and calm -- just a nice little interlude among the rest of your high-wattage vacation! Anyway, have a fantastic trip!

TowerofTerror
02-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Well bowling pretty cheap to do. I think most bowling alleys run something like 2 hours for maybe 40 bucks for 6 people with a pitcher of soda and shoes rental. I know they do it over by my house. I'm sure you can call and ask there bound to be a bowling alley near by Disneyland.

Gardyloo
02-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm a fan of La Brea Tar Pits, but am old enough to remember the jokes about it on the Flintstones.
We're trying to find something to do Saturday because that's our blackout day. Fun and inexpensive sounds good. :)

Neon Cactus
03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Santa Monica Pier and 3rd Street Promenade is always fun. People watching on Venice Beach. Travel Town. Catch a movie at the El Capitan or Chinese Theater. Lunch at Tommy's. Farmer's Market has some good places to eat too. Great crepes, and they have a good cajun place too.

CariBelle
03-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Santa Monica Pier and 3rd Street Promenade is always fun. People watching on Venice Beach. Travel Town. Catch a movie at the El Capitan or Chinese Theater. Lunch at Tommy's. Farmer's Market has some good places to eat too. Great crepes, and they have a good cajun place too.

I second the Farmer's Market!

mcow1
03-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Old Town San Diego. You can just wander around the historic area, tour a haunted house and have great Mexican food and margaritas . It may be a bit farther than LA but it takes less time to drive.