PDA

View Full Version : What romantic restaurant do you guys recommend?

ActionMarco
02-27-2006, 12:00 AM
What restaruant do you guys recommend for an anniversary?? Anything but blue bayou because we just ate there. (Monte Cristo is the best :) ) I want it to be at or around disneyland.

potzbie
02-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Anything but blue bayou.

Choose:
• Food?
• Atmosphere?

For food, the ratings are in. -- Napa Rose beats the other Disney restaurants.

For atmosphere? I don't know.
I don't lump Napa Rose into the "romatic" atmosphere-bucket. It strikes me as "elegant, up-scale," but not "romantic." --- Hmmmmm.

I cannot think of a place as DARK or QUIET as BLUE BAYOU.
(Wait a minute -- BB is crowded and crammed; even if it IS dark and IS quiet; so even BB is not perfect.)

Everything else (!!) is croweded and noisy.
But I have not tried everything, but only a few of the obvious ones.
Surely DOWNTOWN DISNEY will have something with atmosphere?

I have not eaten in GRANVILLES except for breakfast, so maybe a poster can confirm their atmosphere there for evening meals.

Holy cow! I am not any help at all, here, am I?
I'm just rambin'!
"Lawd, I Was Born A Ramblin' Man."
... I'll just sneak out the back way ... Pretend you never saw me ...
:(

02-27-2006, 04:44 AM
If I'm sharing a Monte Cristo with Rush Limbaugh, the Blue Bayou is not romantic. Same situation with mi amore Dr. Muggle and suddenly even Redd Rockett's is romantic.

Honestly, it's the person you're with that makes a place romantic.

Going carte blanche, it'd be Napa Rose and a stroll over to the New Orleans Square's estate jewelry shop.

More realistically, it'd be a dessert to share and damn the calories. You know, something like the Matterhorn sundae at Gibson Girl.

stan4d_steph
02-27-2006, 05:57 AM
You might want to check out this previous thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=42603&highlight=romantic+restaurant).

Hands down, Napa Rose.

geoffa
02-27-2006, 07:53 AM
You might want to check out this previous thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=42603&highlight=romantic+restaurant).

Hands down, Napa Rose.
Totally agree. If you speak to Micheal the Sommelier and tell him you'd prefer a corner or whatever because you're seeking a romantic atmosphere I guarantee he'll do his utmost for you. And just because you had the Monte Cristo for lunch doesn't mean you can't do dinner at Blue Bayou - this was the menu 2005:

http://allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_bayd.htm

Unfortunately they don't do the Captain's Platter that is offered at Blue Lagoon at DL Paris.You have to be a seafood lover - Whole lobster, whole crab, 6 oysters, shrimps, prawns, mussels and clams - all served on ice - see pic:

DcaSweeper
02-27-2006, 08:06 AM
What about the Winery in Dca...Very Romantic

geoffa
02-27-2006, 08:14 AM
What about the Winery in Dca...Very Romantic
Now there's a thought!

Niwel
02-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Check out this look at Love, Disney Style (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060214sl) - scroll down for picks on restaurants.

Opus1guy
02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
What romantic restaurant do you guys recommend? [snip] I want it to be at or around disneyland.

Since your question requests recommendations for a "romantic restaurant" and not what makes a romantic meal or evening...I'm going to suggest the following. My old-style criteria for "romantic restaurant" includes a degree of privacy and quiet, a dash of class, a well rounded menu and wine list, great food and good but unobtrusive service that is conducive to conversation between the two of you...and not being constantly redirected to some chatty waiter, chef, or flaming grill. To me, a "romantic restaurant" places the spotlight on the two of you, rather than on the "show of the meal." It has or creates an atmosphere of romance on it's very own! Ahem...Not like any of us need that. ;)

It's generally hard to find an intimate "romantic restaurant" in a Theme Park environment mostly because of the crowds and the family (read: kids) nature of the place. But here's some suggestions in and around Disneyland:

On property:

Granville's Steakhouse (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/dining/detail?name=GranvillesSteakHouseDiningPage) at the Disneyland Hotel - If getting away from the crowds is a requirement of yours, then Granville's is about the best you'll get on-property. And last I was there (about a year and half ago) this was still one fine and romantic spot for dinner with romance in mind. They are aware of the fact that they aren't the more showy and popular (read crowded and noisy) Napa Rose, and so they try harder to offer something different, IMHO. Great food and service. It's a small and intimate dining room, and Guests and staff tend to talk in hushed tones as a result. And is probably the one restaurant with the lowest kid-quotient at dinnertime. Which makes it the nicest dinner choice as a "romantic restaurant" on property, IMHO.

Now, better still...off property:

Anaheim White House (http://www.anaheimwhitehouse.com/) - An often overlooked (they prefer "hidden treasure") fine dining restaurant right in Anaheim. (Click on the photo of the house to enter the rest of the web site where full details are given) In a beautifully restored 1909 home that opened as an elegant restaurant in 1981, owner Burno Serato runs a fine establishment that highlights Northern Italian cuisine. If it's a special occasion you may even be able to secure a complimentary ride from your Disney area hotel to the restaurant in their wonderful limousine. If some other larger party already has the limo booked at your time, then they also offer comp shuttle service, but that's not near as romantic. ;) Not only a great "romantic restaurant" but it's also nice to get away from Disney sometimes when you've spent an entire day there.

The Cellar (http://www.imenu.com/thecellar/thecellar.htm) - Now here's a hidden gem...literally hidden. It's underneath Vista del Sol just next to Anaheim in Fullerton. Actually built/converted by out-of-work (or moonlighting) Disneyland designers and workers in the the late 60's from the original cellars of the old historic California Hotel, it opened it's doors back in 1969 and was for decades one of the premier dining spots in all of Orange County! It's star may have faded somewhat with all the other competition building around it, but it's still great...especially for romance. Because you dine in intimate settings built as old stone cave-type wine cellars! Incredible wine list with fairly decent prices. And you'll be dining where a lot of Disney Legends called "home" after hours, so there's that connection if you need it. ;) French. Closed Sundays & Mondays.

Mr. Stox (http://www.mrstox.com/about_mrstox.html) - Throwing this in because it's a long time favorite Orange County restaurant which may not have the "quiet" part guaranteed on each and every visit...but it does qualify as "old-school" romantic if you can reserve one of their great booths in the Burgundy Room that are reminiscent of the old time supper clubs. Outstanding food and service. Just down Katella a ways from Disneyland.

I really don't consider many restaurants at the Disney Resort itself as being "romantic restaurants" in and of themselves...even Napa Rose, which by it's very emphasis on the "show" of the food and wine preparation and selection (including a lot of interaction with the staff) and their general noisy-ness...aren't very romantic in and of themselves. Not to say you can't have an incredibly romantic dinner there for other reasons. ;)

Anyway...hope you have a romantic Anniversary no matter where you dine!

CONNCR
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I really like Yamabuki (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/dining/detail?name=YamabukiDiningPage) at the the Paradise Peir Hotel.

I have been there for my anniversary. But my wife spent a year in Tokyo and loves Japanese food.

Sub Maniak
02-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Best overall romantic resturant: Golden Vine at Night
When DCA is Empty:cool: .

Best for trying new things: Yambuki

For a romantic Candlight dinner: Blue Byou!

Best for Adults: Napa Rose;) (Ooh La La!:p )

adriennek
02-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Two Words:

Napa. Rose.

End. Of. Discussion.

Adrienne

cstephens
02-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Best for trying new things: Yambuki

New things? :confused: :confused:

biolabetty
02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
We went to Blue Bayou for our anniversary last year, and we would never do it again. The lighting is nice, but you are still inside a theme park. Unfortunately there was a lady at the table next to us that was struggling with her very unhappy baby for most of the meal. I could tell she felt uncomfortable with her child being so noisy, but she really didn't have a choice since her husband, who arrived about 45 minutes after she was seated, wasn't there to help her take care of their 2 year old so she could take the baby for a walk. We have 4 kids, 2 of which are very young, so we understand how hard it is to make them happy at times. We'll just look for a more adult oriented place next time so we can get our "kid break".

geoffa
03-01-2006, 01:41 PM
We'll just look for a more adult oriented place next time so we can get our "kid break".

Hence Napa Rose but Catal in DTD is also a great place:)