PDA

View Full Version : The Submarine Voyage has Been Ripped Apart!

Disneyfreak
02-26-2006, 11:27 PM
I am kinda sad that they totally ripped apart and destroyed the beautiful waterfall formations to the entrance to the show building. I thought they were going to salvage the formations because they were not destroyed earlier. Do you think they can actually duplicate the same artistic detail and quality that went into the original formations? There is basically nothing left of the old attraction and I was kinda hoping they would of kept some stuff. :(
All we can do now is hope that they can make new formations as detailed as the old ones.
http://albums.mouseplanet.com/DLSubmarineVoyageProcessed/lagoon_060226_michael1.jpg

SandraVB79
02-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Since I have never seen the old formations, I don't really care... but why wouldn't they be able to put the same detail in it now? I wouldn't worry about it!

potzbie
02-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Do you think they can actually duplicate the same artistic detail and quality that went into the original formations? ... All we can do now is hope that they can make new formations as detailed as the old ones.

Fear not.
They did, indeed. Again and again.

Did you think that the rocks on the Matterhorn, or on Grizzly Peak, are real?
They are amazing simulations.
(There is a modest basketball court atop the Matterhorn. I doubt the Disney Imagineers hollowed out SOLID ROCK to install the court.)

Likewise for Splash Mountain. Likewise for Big Thunder Railroad.
Facades!

I am not afraid.
Disney Imagineers are pretty good with Hollywood magic.
If they can simulate it in 1955, then I bet today's Imagineers can simulate it again.
And again. -- Better!
They have blueprints and engineering schematics that show the new guys how to do it.
I am sure it is old hat to Hollywood set designers.
I am sure there are multiple, proven ways of getting the job done.

This is how I see it:
If they can refurbish a 14th century castle (Sleeping Beauty Castle) which isn't a real castle, then designing faux rocks and stones to look like (cough) real rocks and stones, should present no problem.

02-27-2006, 04:49 AM
No fears. The imagineers will wow us, I just know it.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-27-2006, 06:02 AM
I am very excited to see what magic they have in store for this ride!

stan4d_steph
02-27-2006, 06:04 AM
No worries. I'm sure they'll have something fantastic to reveal to us in the end. :)

geoffa
02-27-2006, 06:31 AM
I am kinda sad that they totally ripped apart and destroyed the beautiful waterfall formations to the entrance to the show building. I thought they were going to salvage the formations because they were not destroyed earlier. Do you think they can actually duplicate the same artistic detail and quality that went into the original formations? There is basically nothing left of the old attraction and I was kinda hoping they would of kept some stuff. :(
All we can do now is hope that they can make new formations as detailed as the old onesSee this:
http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/New_TLAND7.HTML

You can relive the ride!:)

SandraVB79
02-27-2006, 07:49 AM
And I keep on thinking about the Fried Clown Fish show... maybe they will make the walls like a big pan???

geoffa
02-27-2006, 08:13 AM
No worries. I'm sure they'll have something fantastic to reveal to us in the end. :)
Rumour is that they have come up with some projection system that will put Nemo and his friends in the water(possibly the volcano sequence). They're doing something similar at Living Seas at EPCOT (but obviously you won't be in a submarine there). There's also to be a Nemo "ride" at Walt Disney Studios - Paris but this may be a dark ride rather than the DL experience. And there is to be a Nemo show at Animal Kingdom WDW replacing Tarzan. seems Nemo is fast becoming the new Stitch!:rolleyes:

hbquikcomjamesl
02-27-2006, 08:23 AM
(There is a modest basketball court atop the Matterhorn. I doubt the Disney Imagineers hollowed out SOLID ROCK to install the court.)Uh, my understanding is that it's not exactly "atop" the Matterhorn. And I've been told repeatedly that it's extremely modest, barely enough to (maybe) qualify as a "half-court," and it was put in strictly to comply with the letter of a law that, at the time, required an employee recreation facility in buildings above a certain size.

At any rate, I, too, think we can expect the new Submarine ride to be as good as the original one. Now what would be really neat would be if the old diesel boats were replaced with something that could actually submerge (like what the Atlantis company runs in Hawaii and the Caribbean).

Opus1guy
02-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Uh, my understanding is that it's not exactly "atop" the Matterhorn. And I've been told repeatedly that it's extremely modest, barely enough to (maybe) qualify as a "half-court," and it was put in strictly to comply with the letter of a law that, at the time, required an employee recreation facility in buildings above a certain size.

It may not be literally "atop" the Matterhorn, but it's very near the very top and is in a small area where the climbers take their breaks. I've been up there and seen it. But it is extremely modest. Just a hoop and small area, really. See this web page which includes a link to a photo of the place:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/matterho.asp

Agree with the others that the rock workers will likely do a great job. The craft of artificial rock work has actually improved greatly since the original Sub and Matterhorn days (thanks mainly to the techniques learned from the many talented European craftspeople that worked on Euro Disneyland, which were brought back to be applied to parks here now). Don't know if they intend to duplicate the original design exactly, or if they plan on just "doing their own thing." But either way, I'm sure that part will look great.

Sub Maniak
02-27-2006, 12:05 PM
The Submarine Caverns might still have some rockwork left!
The only scene I know has been ripped out completely is atlantis!

Guess those two members of the tank gang thought their new tank was too dirty and made the imagineers ripp it apart!;)
:rolleyes: A little humor there!;)