PDA

View Full Version : Squashed Coins

Pages : [1] 2 3

minniemom
02-26-2006, 10:29 AM
This next trip we were looking for something new for the kids to collect. They already have 3 autograph books and pin trading seems a little spendy to get started. We were thinking maybe doing the smashed coins. Anyone do this? Did the kids like this? Are there fun books to put them in?

MammaSilva
02-26-2006, 10:31 AM
We do collect them and they do have books to put them in....the books run about 5/6 bucks (we got ours at the character warehouse for a huge discount) and figure at 51 cents for the average pressed penny you can't get a cheaper hobby/souvenir

Wendi
02-26-2006, 11:08 AM
We do it too, it's something fun for my 4-year-old to do. We love the pennies and we do have the 50th book to keep them in. We even have some pressed coins from other venues in our book.

Tinkermommy
02-26-2006, 11:09 AM
What's great about them is that the penny presses are EVERYWHERE in the parks. Most (if not all) of the presses have multiple choices (three, mostly), so there is a tremendous variety. If you keep looking, you're bound to find one representative of your favorite character/land. We noticed yesterday, though, that quite a few of them seemed to be out of order...

DianeM
02-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I collect pressed pennies. It can become quite an obsession, though. I try to get every penny DL offers. They have 51 new pennies for the 50th anniversary. They have one for each year, with relevant pictures, and a special book to hold all of the pennies. They also have pressed quarters and a couple of nickels, and there are a lot of non 50th pennies available at DL and DCA. If you want to get obsessive about it, you can download lists of available pennies and their machine locations. For kids, you might simply want to give them each a roll of quarters and some pennies and buy each a book, then let them choose which pennies to get. For more information, see http://parkpennies.com/.

Oh, and as far as the kids liking it... we got my nephew a penny bood and bought him pennies for his first trip to DL. He LOVED it. He slept with the book under his pillow for months. Of course, he was 4 at the time, and little ones can be a bit obesessive about things. But whether they like it or not depends on the kids.

This next trip we were looking for something new for the kids to collect. They already have 3 autograph books and pin trading seems a little spendy to get started. We were thinking maybe doing the smashed coins. Anyone do this? Did the kids like this? Are there fun books to put them in?

Everett Buzz
02-26-2006, 12:01 PM
This site might help.

http://www.parkpennies.com/

CariBelle
02-26-2006, 03:01 PM
My 3 year old nephew loves his pressed pennies. On my last DL trip (he wsn't with us) I decided to start a collction for him as a souvenir (the kid loves money and coins, so I figured this would interest him haha) and he loves to take each penny out and look at it and read the words on it. He's even started to recognize presed penny machines at other places (hs local zoo has one for exmple) and hs added to his collection. I recently picked him up some Spiderman pennies at Universal Studios and I'm sue he's going to love them.

darph nader
02-26-2006, 03:10 PM
My DD went apecrazy last year,book and all.Personally i bought about a dozen. Used them as souveniers(yeah i'm cheap,deal with it ).Everyone i gave them to was gratful though.My buddy's EX-wife got miffed when his kids got something but we didnt get anything for her duaghter. He told her we couldn't afford to get everybody in town something.:cool:

Sub Maniak
02-26-2006, 03:30 PM

As a personal memory of 50th, I bought a 50th collectors case and went out to press all 50 magical milestone pennies! I missed only one though!:crying:
The Machine was broken! I think they break down too often!:mad: At least they also get repaired just as quickly.:D

Hint: When looking for a series of pennies or any other pennies, go to the city hall and ask for a sheet showing alll the pennies. It tells the location of pennies throughout the resort! Even the hotels.

GeminiAngel
02-26-2006, 03:45 PM
As a personal memory of 50th, I bought a 50th collectors case and went out to press all 50 magical milestone pennies! I missed only one though!:crying:
The Machine was broken! I think they break down too often!:mad: At least they also get repaired just as quickly.:D

Hint: When looking for a series of pennies or any other pennies, go to the city hall and ask for a sheet showing alll the pennies. It tells the location of pennies throughout the resort! Even the hotels.
the gift shop outside of GRR has a quarter press. first time I've ever seen that.

cstephens
02-26-2006, 04:00 PM
the gift shop outside of GRR has a quarter press. first time I've ever seen that.

There are a few in the Penny Arcade and a few other locations as well. I haven't found one that I like yet, though.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I was thinking of getting my 4yo started on collecting pressed pennies on our trip this coming week. I plan on printing the location guide so we can mark off a few to be sure not to miss.

DianeM
02-26-2006, 05:19 PM
My favorites are Mickey, Minnie, and Donald on Carousels. They are located in the Arcade. Next best... the three princesses, which are in the middle of the castle.

There are a few in the Penny Arcade and a few other locations as well. I haven't found one that I like yet, though.

Tinker Bell
02-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Save your money on those books they sell to hold them. I got a 3 ring binder and slide protect holders. Those little books only hold so many. Of course I have 100s and like to get them every where. Pressed pennies are small fit in your pocket till you get back to the hotel then you can put them in your folder. I like to put ever other slot. Leaving one slot for a note of when and where I got my penny.

Note: City hall has the old list from Nov 05. The store in DGCH has a Jan 06 list with the new pennies.

disney jones
02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
my 3 yr old and then 6 yr old girls loved it!! it was fun to collect and fill the 50th anniversary book.

one other tip is that if you have a chance, go by a coin shop and get some uncirculated pre-1981 pennies (they are purer copper and won't degrade over time vs. the ones since then that have more zinc in them) they'll know what you are talking about if you ask. They usually are pretty cheap too, just $1.00 for a roll of 50 pennies.

minniemom
02-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Cool!!! I am excited to try something new this time!!!

davnat
02-27-2006, 05:40 AM
I have never seen the books you can fill with pennies. Are they at the emporium? Also how many pennies do they hold? TIA!

yellowrosedtxn
02-27-2006, 05:53 AM

Can you tell me which one you are missing? I got several "duplicates" and I could send it too you if I have it.

losaitkens
02-27-2006, 07:05 AM
I have never seen the books you can fill with pennies. Are they at the emporium? Also how many pennies do they hold? TIA!

They are available all over the park, definitely at the Emporium but pretty much everywhere else too. If you look at my pic to the left, you will see my 6year old proudly displaying her collection book filled with all the magical milestones series (51 total I believe). She was obsessed with getting every single one and it was a lot of fun for us.

Vegitabeta
02-27-2006, 07:31 AM
I got most (or all) of my pennies at WDW, and the book is smaller than the one in losaitkens's avatar, but they are good to collect 'cos it doesn't cost too much!

mad4mky
02-27-2006, 09:33 AM
My girls go crazy with the pressed coins!
We have books and books of them. And, the girls love looking around the parks for the ones that they don't have yet.

Pin trading was fun for maybe one or two trips for them...but the pressed penny collection keeps going and going.
They even love to get the pennies at other locations (other than Disney I mean)...and even have a couple of books filled with them as memories of other places they have gotten to visit (like Hawaii, Seattle, Monterey Bay, etc).:)

mi_mous
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes! We do this! Not only at Disneyland, but anywhere you can get a pressed penny! The kids love it, and they love watching the machine make the pennies!
We just "pennyized" my daughter (getting her into the collecting pressed pennies), buying her a pressed penny book! She's only 2.

DianeM
02-27-2006, 12:41 PM
It sounds like you're a pro at colleting pressed pennies. I like to use the books from wherever I get the pennies, though. I have a box of them, dating back to my honeymoon, and whenever I look at them it brings back wonderful memories of our trips together. I bought a few books from pennycollector.com to use for places that don't have books (and extra quarters), but I prefer to use the book from the penny location, if possible. I Love getting new books - whenever a place has a book with their name on it, I get it, even if they don't have enough pennies to fill the book. Oh... and I always use the older (pre-1982) pennies. I shine them with catsup and baking soda. They look dull when they are cleaned, but shine beautifully after they are pressed.

Save your money on those books they sell to hold them. I got a 3 ring binder and slide protect holders. Those little books only hold so many. Of course I have 100s and like to get them every where. Pressed pennies are small fit in your pocket till you get back to the hotel then you can put them in your folder. I like to put ever other slot. Leaving one slot for a note of when and where I got my penny.

Note: City hall has the old list from Nov 05. The store in DGCH has a Jan 06 list with the new pennies.

mi_mous
02-27-2006, 12:43 PM
It sounds like you're a pro at colleting pressed pennies. I like to use the books from wherever I get the pennies, though. I have a box of them, dating back to my honeymoon, and whenever I look at them it brings back wonderful memories of our trips together. I bought a few books from pennycollector.com to use for places that don't have books (and extra quarters), but I prefer to use the book from the penny location, if possible. I Love getting new books - whenever a place has a book with their name on it, I get it, even if they don't have enough pennies to fill the book. Oh... and I always use the older (pre-1982) pennies. I shine them with catsup and baking soda. They look dull when they are cleaned, but shine beautifully after they are pressed.

Ketchup?? How does that and baking soda work?? That's the funniest thing I have heard! I'll have to try it next time!

LibertyCall
02-27-2006, 02:37 PM
My five year old loves to collect these. We got him the little smashed penny holder folder thing when we were there last. Since then, we see the machines at all sort of places (Monterey Bay Aquarium is where we saw the last one) so he gets them all over now.

Inexpensive, easy to carry, fun to watch them get smashed!