PDA

View Full Version : Ok, tell me about Paradise Pier...

potterphreak
02-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, I am going in probably May with my grandparents, who have never been, and my 2 year old daughter as well. We have stayed at the DL Hotel before but none of the others. After looking at the deals through AAA and calling Disney directly, AAA has the MUCH better rates. But price wise, PP is the best. Is it terribly far for my grandparents to be walking? They are 70 and 68. Me and the 2 year old can handle any walk, but I am concerned about them. Also, are the rooms the same size as at the DLH? Please advise and thanks for your time!

Susan L
02-26-2006, 09:17 AM
We have stayed at all three DL hotels now. We love PPH. The rooms are large, the pool is fun, the service is great, the PCH Grill has some good food. Make sure you request a park view room it is absolutely wonderful.

Our most recent stay was just at the GCH. But, for our next trip probably in the fall of 07 we will be going back to the PPH. You have a bit of a walk back from the Monorail but, I will take that walk any day over the walk back and forth from the HoJo.

And since you are traveling with your grandparents and a 2 year old you can ask for a ride in a little golf type car to and from Downtown Disney, at least you could the last time we stayed there. Call the hotel and ask if they still offer this service.

You can also use the GCH entrance to DCA just show your room key.

hlbtimes2
02-26-2006, 10:12 AM
We stayed there in Oct with a 3 and 7 year old children, and 73 and 77 year old MIL/ FIL. They are very active for their age. They didnt have any problem walking back and forth, as well as walking around during the day. FIL (77) did head back early a couple of times, and declined to come with us the last day in the park. 5 days was just to much fun for him! LOL

Its a nice hotel. I dont know that I would ever spend the money to stay there again. We usually try to do quick, cheap trips. We are spending roughly 1/2 for our trip in March (staying at CCI) then we did for our trip in Oct. That is a huge savings!

Hakuna Makarla
02-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I loved the rooms, and the bed, wow it was the best bed I ever slept in!! The bathroom was huge, and there was cute soaps etc. I enjoyed this motel and if I could afford it I would stay all the time. its very pretty and I likes the guest service to!

potterphreak
02-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Hmm thanks guys!! That sounds great!! A golf cart thingey from DD to hotel? Did I read that right? LOL I will talk it over with grandparents and see what they say. Since this is their one and only trip in their whole entire lives AND the birthday celebration for my granny AND my almost 3 yr. old, I would like it to be really special. Plus, my last trip to DL until October. <sob!>

dws_60
02-26-2006, 12:26 PM
dont go to the pph... go to a hotel off site and spend the rest of ur money in shopping! pph is not worth it at all and the service is the worst we ever experienced! and the walk is still quite a walk for older people and a 3 year old....
take care
David

minniemom
02-26-2006, 02:32 PM
In my opinion it is not worth paying for an on site hotel unless you splurge and stay at the GC. I consider the walk to be long and makes the PP not worth staying at. In the morning it took forever to wait for an elevator as well. My favorite is the GC and we have found decent deals at getawaytoday.com.

Hakuna Makarla
02-26-2006, 02:45 PM
well, Some times when you go you can not find the good deals for the grand, and to me over 200.00 for a room there ( at the grand) is way over priced., But I paid 125.00 for paradise pier and was happy as a clam. Yeah the walk is tough, but............. going thru the grand californian cuts the walk to nothing if you are going to california adventure. we love that park!!! there is also goofys carecter breakfast and well as I said before, the paradise pier is a nice place. and going thru down town disney at night is fun :)

rentayenta
02-26-2006, 03:10 PM
We stayed at the PPH in December and it was way worth it. We usually stay at the DLH but I found a great deal for $120 a night so we thought we'd give it a try. The rooms were recently redone and the customer service was Disney A+ all the way. We requested adjoining rooms and sure enough we got them. Mousekeeping tucked the kids dolls/animals in when they made the bed each morning. The decor is Disney meets the beach which was perfect for our family and I like the room decor better at the PPH than the DLH. Room service was prompt and there was nothing like ordering the night before and having your breakfast show up right on time. The pool area was great too-plenty of towels and chairs- we had fun drinking wine in the hot tub and watching the fireworks with the music piped in.

We will now stay at the PPH over the DLH anyday! :)

MrsG
02-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Last summer my (much) older sister and her husband (in their late 60's) stayed at the Paradise Pier. They found the walk much too much for them, especially after the heat of summer and walking all day in DLR. I would only suggest staying there if your grandparents are VERY spry.

Yes, it is a nice hotel, but even I find the walk too much after a long day at the park (and I'm no where near 60) :p

Pat-n-Eil
02-26-2006, 03:40 PM
We stayed there two years ago and it was fun. The room was great with a fabulous view of the Paradise Pier area - and the rest of DCA. They used to have a walkway across the street from the PPH with their own entrance into DCA, but now you have to go to the GCH entrance to DCA, which isn't a problem either. It is a fair distance walk - and I've debated whether or not "cutting through" DCA isn't faster that going around DTD, but it's probably about the same.

The rooftop pool and separate slide are fun. You can view the fireworks at Disneyland from the roof area as well, and they pipe in the sound from the show so you can hear!

The elevators are a little bit slow, but the PCH grill is great for lunch and dinner and among the more reasonably priced restaurants in the whole resort.

Last, but not least, is that because you are booking through AAA and into a Disney Property, you're eligable for the Enhanced FastPasses too. All passports you buy at the same time will be the enhanced verson. (They are also worth $10 in tokens at ESPN Zone and you get priority seating at the great Aladdin show in DCA and a couple of other perks).

If the PPH fits into your budget, I'd definitely book it through AAA. Have a great time.

Susan L
02-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Hmm thanks guys!! That sounds great!! A golf cart thingey from DD to hotel? Did I read that right? LOL I will talk it over with grandparents and see what they say. Since this is their one and only trip in their whole entire lives AND the birthday celebration for my granny AND my almost 3 yr. old, I would like it to be really special. Plus, my last trip to DL until October. <sob!>

It doesn't go directly into DTD but, they take you half way. I saw lots of elderly and handicap people using this service several times. It can't hurt to check in to it. Like I said before I'm not sure if they still offer this.

hlbtimes2
02-26-2006, 04:27 PM
. (They are also worth $10 in tokens at ESPN Zone and you get priority seating at the great Aladdin show in DCA and a couple of other perks).

I dont believe the ESPN card is still offered. I think that ended in January. I know we got it for our trip in Oct, but not for our trip next month.

Susan L
02-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Priority Seating really doesn't mean anything unless you are first in line.

Pat-n-Eil
02-27-2006, 11:48 AM
I dont believe the ESPN card is still offered. I think that ended in January. I know we got it for our trip in Oct, but not for our trip next month.

:crying:

Pat-n-Eil
02-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Priority Seating really doesn't mean anything unless you are first in line.

Last time we went, the priority seating group was fairly sizeable and we got to sit in the orchestra pit.. I chose the back row and enjoyed it very much. After getting really high balcony seats the first time I thought the priority seating was a blessing.