PDA

View Full Version : Remember... Captain EO

Pages : [1] 2 3

VilliageHausGal
02-25-2006, 08:27 AM
As a kid I must say that Michael Jackson's Captain EO was one of my favorite stops. Yes I know Michael doesn't have the best reputation these days, but one has to admit that his Captain EO dancing to protect universe and the crew animals turning into musical instruments was awesome. Is there a way to get a copy of the original show?

DisneyDustin22
02-25-2006, 09:01 AM
As a kid I must say that Michael Jackson's Captain EO was one of my favorite stops.

lol. I'm sorry. Does this sentence just strike anybody else as funny? :) (Nothing personal directly towards you HausGal.)

MermaidHair
02-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I must say that I totally missed the Captain EO era of Disneyland. I think that was when I was in college in the mid-west. I think it would be neat to see a video of it to see what it was all about.

MonorailChris
02-25-2006, 11:15 AM
MTV had a mj weekend a long time back and they played it, ONCE.and i just happend to record it ,of course it isn't 3d but it is the whole thing threw no commercials.

Quinten27
02-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately, I never got to experience the actual Captain EO show. Though I did get to meet Michael after the premier of the show, I bumped into him at the DL hotel later that evening.............truly a disneyland experience I won't ever forget!

Burnt Toast
02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I would rather not remember Captain EO. /shudder

:D

LibertyCall
02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
What I remember most about it was the part when everyone would reach their hand out to touch that little furry thing that appeared to be flying in front of your face.:D

ILoveChurros
02-25-2006, 01:51 PM
I remember being scared of the lady with the long finger nails...loved the blue elephant looking guy.

Vlyger
02-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I loved the parody on Family Guy where the young boy who is watching the Captain EO film says something like, "It looks like Michael Jackson is coming right at me." Then MJ emerges from screen, grabs that young boy, and escapes out of the theatre.

That's all I need to know about Captain EO.

Opus1guy
02-25-2006, 03:20 PM
"We're goin' in."

:)

I Heart Disneyland!
02-25-2006, 04:15 PM
"We are going to save the world!"

I admit, I don't miss it, but, it was fun during its time! I think I'd almost prefer it to "Honey I Shrunk The Audience"! That is a yawn fest just waiting to happen!

cfrith
02-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Are there any pictures to see what it was like? I've never seen anything from it.

nojarama
02-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I thought it ("Captain EO") was horrible back then, & now thinking back, I was just disappointed (I was & still am a huge MJ fan). I thought it was beneath him. I know alot of people will disagree, but that's another story. He was & is a genius at what he does professionally IMO. He may choose to act like a freak, but who am I to judge (I am the poster child for "misfit" myself)...

The whole EO thing just didn't work for me. It was like "Fraggle Rock" on acid. Some of my friends, in fact, watched it on acid- I wonder if it made it flat (rather than 3D) he he!

Even worse, is that ridiculous "Honey I Shrunk The Audience". Ick!

Regardsarama,

Jon

.................................................. ...................................

Jon A. Leslie
nojarama
noj@west.net
http://www.nojarama.com
http://www.myspace.com/nojarama

evrythngwmn
02-25-2006, 08:34 PM
I loved Captain EO and would much rather have that than HISTA.

coronado_g
02-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I agree with the consensus that HISTA is boring!! It was OK at the beginning but that story is over and done with now. Wish Disneyland would do something new with that space.

TowerofTerror
02-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I loved the show I wished it was still there.

coronado_g
02-25-2006, 09:47 PM
I thought Captain Eo seemed a bit too much like a goody-two shoes.

CaptainHook15
02-25-2006, 11:34 PM
If only we could replace HISTA with EO!!!!!!!

I have the audio from EO and listen to it quite often!

It may not have been the best thing Disney ever did, but darned it if wasnt entertaining! I loved it.

tink360
02-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I loved Captain EO and miss it too, it was one of my must-sees on every trip.

Wish it could come back, but we all know THAT isn't gonna happen.

PragmaticIdealist
02-26-2006, 12:28 AM
I'd buy "Captain EO" if Disneyland sold it on DVD.

ILoveChurros
02-26-2006, 12:38 AM
I loved the parody on Family Guy where the young boy who is watching the Captain EO film says something like, "It looks like Michael Jackson is coming right at me." Then MJ emerges from screen, grabs that young boy, and escapes out of the theatre.

That's all I need to know about Captain EO.

haha, Family Guy is great.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-26-2006, 12:51 AM
If only we could replace HISTA with EO!!!!!!!

I think instead they should replace HISTA with Carousel of Progress, or one of the missed things like Country Bears!!!!

geoffa
02-26-2006, 04:07 AM
haha, Family Guy is great.

Yeah! Really funny but short!:)

screamin4ever
02-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Eo worked for so long because of the music. MJ was just too funny trying to be a tough guy. The build up and action all led to the moment Michael opened his mouth and in a pre-teen girl's voice he said, "We're going in." EVERY showing resulted in laughter or at least chuckles at that line. The story was sappy but it worked. I was always amazed at the crowds. Angelica Huston was great too! At least the theater didn't spit at you.

Music is a key to repeatability. I would love to see a new version of America the Beautiful put in there with patriotic music to go with the landscapes. Perhaps just a tour of Natural American. The theater could still bounce on the road journeys. In 3-D a flight through the Grand Canyon or other scenes would be interesting. I would love a 3-D movie that would be enjoyable instead of jarring.

HISTA is garbage. One viewing and it's all over. All post Eo movies are full of stupid 3-D gimmicks. I hate those dumb things that fly at you for no reason. Got it...3-D! No need to invent a scene to distract us from the lame plot line. And no I don't need to be squirted with water, poked in the back, shot at with air, etc. Those tricks are what make these attractions UNrepeatable. They are not enjoyable.

geoffa
02-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Are there any pictures to see what it was like? I've never seen anything from it.

Here you go:

http://www.intercot.com/edc/images/eodancers.jpg

Also see:
http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=captain+EO&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images