PDA

View Full Version : Spontanious Trips To Disneyland

MonorailMan
04-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Do you take spontanious trips to disneyland?

We never did, until today when mom asked, "Do you want to go to DL tomorrow?"! Yea! :D

MouseWife
04-08-2002, 07:46 PM
As a mom, no, I plan plan plan. I think the most spontaneous was when I won tickets on a Wednesday to go to a Tarzan premier on a Saturday.

But, as a kid, we never planned. I remember just going up to my Dad, wistfully saying, 'Gee Dad, it sure has been a long time since we went to Disneyland.' In the morning he would say let's go. I didn't take advantage, I didn't ask that often.

But, I have to say, we NEVER got there when it opened. We would drive up to L.A., spend the night at my sisters, wake up early and be ready. They would leisurely wake up, have coffee, sit around and visit.

Can you imagine what that felt like?

Rallymonkey23
04-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife

Can you imagine what that felt like?

Ahhh man! Now thats torture!! LOL

Anyways, being a parent we have to plan everything. No stone can be left unturned before leaving our house. So yeah... we plan.

Techie7
04-08-2002, 07:55 PM
I make spur of the moment trips all the time. I do have my own car and often drive by myself so its not a problem. After I got my AP earlier this year I was still living in Fresno (now in Riverside). I woke up and told my dad that Country Bears was closing that day. I had never seen it so we jumped in the car made the four hour trek I stayed for an hour then we drove home. It was a fun outing for the two of us. Long story short spontaneous trips are always fun. I made my last one last Monday because I found the fireworks were running for spring break. YEA

Iceman
04-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Now that Country Bears thing is a spontaneous trip! Talking about going tomorrow is PLANNING in my book! :D

dcadon
04-08-2002, 08:23 PM
One time after work myself and 4 of my co workers went to a friends house. At about 5AM we decided to go to disneyland.
We called in sick to work from the road that morning and stayed at the park untill about 10PM and drove stright home.

Only problem was that it is an 8 hour drive each way from our house to Anaheim.

So that was about 40 stright hours awake and one of the coolest (and SCARIEST) disneyland memories I have.

Don

Ace
04-08-2002, 08:39 PM
I dunno.... It's not the same if I don't spend the 2 weeks before vibrating and memorizing spiels...

Not Afraid
04-08-2002, 08:59 PM
We do spontanious trips all the time now. We live / work close and have AP's. We plan more to go to the movies than to DL.

zapppop
04-08-2002, 09:22 PM
I'll just be driving in my car and start thinking about riding small world or indiana jones, and in about 10 minutes I'm half way to the park.

disneynut
04-08-2002, 09:30 PM
I remember being a child and my parents had planned a day at Santa Cruz. We were driving south on the 5 and saw the mileage to L.A. and my brother and I started talking about how much fun it would be to go to DL. That was all of the encouragement my parents needed....forget Santa Cruz, we were on our way to DL. When we got down there we had to go shopping for everything from pj's to clothes to wear at the park. Since we were only planning on being away for the day we just had the clothes on our back and our swimsuits.

As a parent now, I really have to admire my parents for being able to do that. My brother and I were older than my kids are now but my husband and I plan everything (down to the last diaper).

hefferdude
04-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Yep! We call 'em " mad trips ". We squeeze them in
between baseball games, Dland Xmas, and ( ta da )
Mouseadventures. Justforthehelluvit!
:D

snappy
04-08-2002, 09:57 PM
My fiance and I once were driving home from Las Vegas and on the Spur of the moment decided to head over to the Magic Kingdom! Having AP's and no kids we have the freedom to go whenever we want. Before the cut hours of operation we use to go after work on Friday's to relax. Disneyland Friday night after work is a great ending/beginning of the weekend retreat! Wish the hours would go back to 12, wishful thinking.

BELLEH5
04-09-2002, 12:34 AM
Yes Totally!!!! I asked my friend a few days in advance if he wanted to go with me to DL since I haven't been there in 5 months. We left around mid-night and got there around 6 am. The whole time in the car I was soooooooo full of energy!!! And listening to my Disneyland cds!!!! Best trip ever****

MammaSilva
04-09-2002, 08:43 AM
any trip to Disneyland that is planned in less than 2 weeks is a "spontanous" one for me, normally there is a LOT Of pre planning involved, so far I've only done one true "spontanous" trip and that was for Walts Birthday last year, all others are planned with back up plans B and C in place before we ever drive out of the garage........

hbquikcomjamesl
04-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Back in the early 1990s, when I was unemployed, but had my pass, I went to Disneyland instead of going to movies, because movies cost money and Disneyland was already paid for.

In 1996, during the (thankfully temporary) MSEP Farewell Season, I would go anywhere from one night a week to every free night I had (especially the November Encore), just to see The Parade.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to run a package up to UPS, and once I dropped it off, I went to DCA, saw Blast (sans Battery Battle, as noted elsewhere), tried the single-rider queue for Soarin', and saw The Parade. I think the Soap Opera Bistro was open that evening; If I'd had just a little more time, and a little more cash, I'd have had dinner there.

mad4mky
04-09-2002, 09:12 AM
We did just that this past weekend. We decided late Thursday night to go down. Spur of the moment thing...and it was fun.

Our girls were at their stepmom's for the weekend...and we thought, wouldn't it be nice to take a drive? So, off we went Friday after work. And I am glad we did. Hubby will be gone for 5 weeks for work, and it was nice to get away together ( I know, I know, we just came back from Europe two weeks ago...but 95% of that time, we had daughter #1 with us!...and this road trip was just the two of us).
:D

80S ERA
04-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Since I live about 10 minutes away, the answer is "all the time!" Sometimes, my girlfriend and I would be hungry and ask each other, "Where do you want to eat?"

"Olive Garden?"
"Chilli's?"
"Fast Food?"

"French Market?"
"Hungry Bear?"
"Blue Bayou?"
"Redd Rockets?"

It's nice having an AP! :cool:

supercarrie
04-09-2002, 12:40 PM
We do this all the time...

If I don't have a lot of homework that night, when I come home I will ask my mom if we can go to Disneyland for dinner...

we go, eat dinner, and ride a couple rides...it is wonderful. :)

bluepearl
04-09-2002, 01:54 PM
My friends and I have taken some spontaneous trips, as in deciding to go in an hour or such.

Usually, we communicate through message boards and go every week, about the same day. We carpool too, since we all live in the same area (the Inland Empire).

innerSpaceman
04-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Haven't done it since they stopped letting you watch fireworks from ToonTown, but boy did I go spontaneously all the time when that fabulous viewing location was open.

Dave Z
04-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Never just an hour or even a day, but our March trip was decided on with just a week and a half before we went. My 9 yr old hardly had time to get excited. I hardly had time to get excited!

DZ

LegolandMC
04-09-2002, 05:27 PM
I do this all the time! I mean, sometimes, it's not even a full day trip. I remember coming home from work several times, and my sister saying, "Hey, let's go to Disneyland!" And I would change out of my uniform and go. And now that I have my AP to the parks, I'm sure it will be happening even more. :D

Morrigoon
04-09-2002, 05:41 PM
In high school Hyperboy and I both lived in the Valley (exactly 55 miles from my house to the parking lot). After school I'd call him up and be like, "My folks are out tonight, I'm bored, wanna hit the park?" or vice versa. And we'd go! That Chevy Sprint of mine got about 40 miles per gallon or something outrageous like that - basically about $5 worth of gas round trip. Going to Disneyland was cheaper than bowling!

Pony Sugrue
04-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Although I had gone to Disneyland several times, the "Sailing Ship Columbia" had been a most illusive ride; always docked at Fowler's Landing it seemed. One day last summer at at my office, I heard it was sailing, but I never could make it after work in time to ride her before her last sail around sunset... so one day at lunch I raced over there, ran down to the dock and jumped aboard. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.. especially the "below deck' area. I grabbed a quick bite at "The Hungry Bear" (God rest its soul) and I raced back to work just in time for a big meeting. Nobody knew that I had gone on such a faraway and spontaneous "voyage" that day during my extended lunch hour.

socabch
04-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Now that my girls are 12 & 14 yrs old we go at the drop of a hat. Since I don't have to worry about packing backpacks and diapers bags anymore it's more fun. Everyone is responsible for knowing if they need a jacket or whatever. Also when we go up to the bay area to visit relatives or go to Pismo Beach then we sometimes stop on the way back and check in for a couple of hours then go home when the traffic is gone.