PDA

View Full Version : How can people get soooo rude?!?!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rallymonkey23
04-08-2002, 04:34 PM
After leaving DL Sunday night our daughter wanted a drink of water. So we told her to go get a drinnk out of the fountain just to the right of the exit. Of course we watched her while she was doing this as we sat down to let a little weight off our feet.;)

Anyways, she was waiting behind this little boy to get a drink of water. And I guess she was staring at him as he was drinking the water and the boys mom looked at our daughter adn said, "What are you looking at little girl!?". She came back and told us what the lady had said and I personally couldn't believe it!! How could a grown up be soooo rude to a little 4 year old girl?

MouseWife
04-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Geez. And people wonder how teens grow up to be so obnoxious.

I can bet you were pretty angry. Once, at Soak City, it was super crowded. They actually had to wait in line for a tube. My kids do wait and they are polite. {to strangers, not each other!!}

Anywho. After waiting for a long time, my daughter gets a tube. A woman comes up and grabs it from her and tells her 'My son has been waiting a long time. You people come here and try and do whatever you want.' My daughter was like What? Let it go and got the next tube. I wasn't with her, she was probably about 11 or 12.

Anywho again. She didn't tell me this until we were out in the van getting ready to leave. She tells me. I tell you, my blood boiled INSTANTLY and I turned around looking into the park and said 'Who was it? Show me who it was? I am going to go in and give her a piece of my mind.' She was like, I don't know.

I was so mad. :mad:

I told my kids since then to tell people exactly what they want. To an extent, of course.

I also try and stick up for kids who are in line at places. How many times do you see an adult come in and cut over a kid? Worse, the checker will look right over them and help the next person. What is even more worse are the ignorant adults who do that sort of stuff, just because they can. :mad:

Dreamstaker
04-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I also try and stick up for kids who are in line at places. How many times do you see an adult come in and cut over a kid? Worse, the checker will look right over them and help the next person. What is even more worse are the ignorant adults who do that sort of stuff, just because they can. :mad:

I know what you mean. I do that too. This (boy/girl) was next. I get looks from the adults, but they step aside and wait!!

disneynut
04-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Rallymonkey23....Some people are just amazingly rude. You wonder what this lady was thinking of to pick on a 4 y/o.

I also get annoyed by the parents who are so rude to the kids who are waiting to see the characters. The comments, the shoving....you wonder where the kids get their bad manners. :rolleyes:

MonorailMan
04-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Dreamstaker

I know what you mean. I do that too. This (boy/girl) was next. I get looks from the adults, but they step aside and wait!!

I one let a family cut on Space Mountain, but there was another family behind me that was ticked that I didn't let them cut. :)

(The family that I ley cut, were the ultimate disney family, all had Lanards full of pins, all had Mickey/Minnie ears, all had Mickey/Minnie gloves, and all had on a great bif smile.)

lillas
04-10-2002, 05:37 PM
I've been going to DL for 40 years now and by far the worst change is not Eisner, or Pressler, or DCA, or unimaginative attractions, it's the riff-raff they let in the joint. Most guests just don't find the park special anymore and don't treat the place or others with respect. How many of us have stood patiently for an hour for a picture only to be mobbed by a group of people that has no concept of a line? I sounds terrible to steriotype, but this is most commonly people who don't speak english or have an extremely poor command of it. Look at some of those old vault disney park shows. People actually used to dress up to go to DL! Personally, I think they should jack up the price to over $100 for a day pass. That would keep out alot of those who really don't want to be their, keep crowds down, and still maintain adequate cash flow. For those of you who think it's allready too expensive, when's the last time you went to a concert or pro sporting event? I went on openning day, family of 4, a couple dogs, beers, cokes, parking, and tickets...$200 for 3 hours of entertainment. We're spending about $2000 for 3 days and 4 nights at the park and DL hotel next month. 2000 divides by 96 hours makes DL a steal at $20 bucks an hour for a family of 4.
Knotts is a better place for the great unwashed.

lillas
04-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Reading back my last post sounded to racially motivated, that was not my intent. It's a class thing really. Whether you are black, white, yellow or brown, poverty and lack of education usually effects your private and public behavior. Age is a big problem too. The young are, well, immature, and frequently act that way in public. Would I rather sit by a large family of (insert your favorite ethnic minority) or a gaggeling herd of 18 year old white mall rats on pirates? Probably the #$&%&$*.

LegolandMC
04-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Okay, I'm not making excuses for the lady, cause I find what she said really rude, but a lot of it was probably that it was the end of the day, and she was tired too.

I work at Legoland California, and believe me, people come in all happy and excited, and you would think they're the nicest people on the planet, but on the way out at the end of the day, they can be the rudest, meanest people. One reason why I don't particularly like the closing shift.

People act differently when they're crabby and tired. Not an excuse, but an explanation. But she should learn to control her rudeness towards children!

MouseWife
04-11-2002, 03:02 PM
You're right. Because, actually, a child of that age really doesn't stare {unless you look like a monster, a princess or a big bowl of ice cream ;) }. They are just looking and don't realize that it is staring.

And, depending on their exposure, most kids don't intend to be rude. Unless they come right and and are vocal about whatever it is{and that could just be pure honesty}. But I don't have any of those kids............

And, on the class issue, raising the price would not keep the park a great place. Class is something that you either have or don't have~ rich or poor.

I know equally bratty kids from rich and poor families.

It all depends on how their parents teach them how to behave and how to treat people.

An example. Going places and showing my kids different types of jobs. I tell them they need an education if they would rather work with their minds than their backs. BUT I tell them that all work is to be respected. People working and taking care of themselves and their families is honorable.

And me, personally LegolandMC, I try to save at least a little smile for the people at the exit turnstile. Yep, it isn't their fault that I might have over done it or if someone gave me a hard time.

lillas
04-12-2002, 05:42 AM
When I said class I ment social class, although economic class often plays a role. As for the noble working poor, we've all started with low skill, low pay jobs as teens. The hard workers who actually think about their future realize they need to buckle down, get an education, and work harder to succeed. It dosn't take a rocket scientist to become a brain surgeon, just hard work. People that are poor tend to be lazy at work and in the way they raise their children.

justagrrl
04-12-2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by lillas
People that are poor tend to be lazy at work and in the way they raise their children.

I really have to stop you before you offend me again. We are poor people. We live in Anaheim and that should tell you a lot. DH works and I stay home with the kids so we don't have a lot of money. (I do part time work at home for a little extra cash.) The only reason we are passholders is because it was a Christmas Gift. (Although, we are already saving for passes for next year - yes - some of us "poor people" actually have to save up money for a pass.)

Quite frankly, I'm sick of you saying that us "poor" people don't have class, don't have manners, and that we are lazy. I could go so far as to say that your insults reflect a possible lack of manners on your part, but I won't go there.

Having social graces has little to do with the amount of money you bring home my friend. I have witnessed these same people at DLR. Their children, in the DDD parking lot knocking over all the tall pylon cone things as they walked - their parents looking on and apparently approving as they do nothing to stop them.

Now, they may have been poor, they may not have been. The fact is that they were rude and disrespectful. That has nothing to do with their race or paycheck. It's the way they were raised and are raising their rude brat kids.

MouseWife
04-12-2002, 06:05 AM
When I said class I ment social class, although economic class often plays a role. As for the noble working poor, we've all started with low skill, low pay jobs as teens. The hard workers who actually think about their future realize they need to buckle down, get an education, and work harder to succeed. It dosn't take a rocket scientist to become a brain surgeon, just hard work. People that are poor tend to be lazy at work and in the way they raise their children.

That is such a funny post!!!!

You are joking, right? That ending is just the opposite of what I have seen. I have seen those less 'economically fortunate' strive to work even harder than those around them. And, I have seen the 'priveledged' kids just boast and brag about what their parents have worked hard for and screw up until their parents finally give them jobs to make them look successful.

Being in a higher social class is a status that you seem to be giving to yourself. Really, having class is seeing no distinction.

And no, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to become a brain surgeon, but, hopefully the ones that are out there are doing it out of a desire to be in that profession, not just for the money.

You know, I really hope that you are joking. This is a very sad outlook on life and the people who share it with you. All of us on this earth. Not just the ones in you 'social group'.

Iceman
04-12-2002, 06:52 AM
I am a rocket scientist, and I don't know whether to be offended at that remark or not! ;)

MouseWife
04-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Iceman
I am a rocket scientist, and I don't know whether to be offended at that remark or not! ;)

Well, I would not be offended~ it means that you could be a brain surgeon-snap!- just like that!!!!

I like that your knowledge is gearing you towards 'imagin'ear'ing'.

Traci
04-12-2002, 09:45 AM
Wow! :eek: I think the point of this Thread was that Rallymonkey could not believe how an adult can be so rude to a child and stated nothing about race, economic status, or social status.

Unfortunately everywhere we go we are going to run into rude people. Rudeness stems from selfishness and disregard for the feelings of others. My guilt ridden soul would never allow me to be rude, and of course my oversized heart doesn't help in matters either. ;)

I amone to point out a rude person's rudeness to their face though, because God says "Treat others as you wish to be treated". And because of this rule, I could never be rude.

Sorry, I seemed to ramble there, but sometimes I just have to put in my two cents. :D

corrinhorn
04-12-2002, 09:55 AM
I gotta say, I work in ODV, and I have seen a LOT of rude people... I must concur that is has more to do with the parents. Sometimes though, if the parents don't control the kids at the beginning, the kids become out of control, and the parents can't do anything at all. I have seen many teens come in with annual passes that their parents bounght so they wouldn't have to look after the kids. Disneyland has become a babysitter, instead of a place where families can go to get away from the world.

lillas
04-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Please note my previous use of the word "tend". Yes there are exceptions. As for being poor, my wife stays home too, and money can be tight, but opportunities abound in this society to have any career you dream of. Nobody grows up dreaming of flipping burgers or mowing lawns, sloth keeps them doing it as adults. Now if you all stop getting offended and take the PC blinders off you might see that there is often some grain of truth behind generalizations and stereo-types. For example, black people dominate proffessional basketball. Is it nature or nurture? I don't know, it's just a fact. White people dominate business...nature or nurture? Asians and latino's have no concept of how to wait in line to get a picture with Mickey. In the occidental tradition, thats rude.

mad4mky
04-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
You're right. Because, actually, a child of that age really doesn't stare {unless you look like a monster, a princess or a big bowl of ice cream ;) }. They are just looking and don't realize that it is staring.

And, depending on their exposure, most kids don't intend to be rude. Unless they come right and and are vocal about whatever it is{and that could just be pure honesty}. But I don't have any of those kids............

I don't think kids mean to be rude...

But, my poor daughter gets stares all the time...and I mean ALL the time. Mostly from kids...and some adults. But, I'd say 95% of the time...its from children. And kids at that age do stare. It's because she has the obvious facial anomoly of Down Syndrome. Sure, the kids are curious, and they don't realize how rude they are being. But after a days in and days out of rudeness...I tend to get a little testy. Because I know my it hurts her to have these stares. But, what are ya gonna do? Snap at a kid? No, I wouldn't do that, they're just kids...but I THINK it. I really do.
And I have snapped at middle age school kids...they should know better. Who's fault is it? I want to say it's the parents fault...But is it? Kids learn a lot more about things in this world now than we did...and kids with disabilities are mainstreamed into society more now than ever. Middle age school kids should know better.

I highly doubt that the little boy in front of Rallymonkey23's little girl drinking at the fountain had a disability...and a little girl of 4 patiently waiting in line is probably thinking of the next ride she gets to go on, not even realize she's looking at someone... So,Why would a mother be so rude...? Especially to a small child? It just boggles the mind.

But, in our case, I wish more parents would kindly explain to their children why a person with a disability might look different...instead of just having their kid, stare, stare and stare...or worse, point, and make faces. And I wish parents would not act like my daughter has some kind of disease that their kid will catch just by breathing the air near my kid....
But, people who don't understand what to say, do rude and ignorant things. As much as you want to change them, you can't. So, we live with it everyday.

So...this was a thread about rude people...and now, people are talking about making money...and how that contributes to rudeness? Hmmm...odd logic there. Seems highly flawed. I find rich kids are just as rude as poor kids...probably more so. But, I don't think there has been any research on that one.

But, maybe I gave some people some food for thought next time their child (and I am not saying Rallymonkey23's daughter should have been reprimended...that was terrible) stares at someone.

lilblckrncloud
04-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Now if you all stop getting offended and take the PC blinders off you might see that there is often some grain of truth behind generalizations and stereo-types.
The whole point of this thread is rudeness, and as far as I can tell socio-economic background and/or ethnic heritage really aren't factors in flat out bad manners and attitude. On a trip to Downtown Disney recently I was sitting with some friends on the planter/bench thing outside the movie theater. A 10 year old "white" kid, whose very well dressed mother was standing right next to him, proceeded to climb into the planter and tromp all over the plants. I watched in disbelief and thought to myself, "When his mom sees what he is doing he is gonna be in trouble!" However, she just glanced over casually and said, "Tommy, what are you doing?" and that was IT. She made no attempts to stop him, so he continued his destructive ways until she grabbed his arm and dragged him away when his father arrived. I can't begin to tell you how many similar scenarios I have have seen in which the families were of many different social classes and backgrounds. Rudeness and bad manners crop up everywhere. I don't see any evidence to the fact that "Asians and Latinos and poor people" don't know how to behave themselves in public. That is just ludicrous.

As for the observation that people who have lower incomes are "lazy" and "slothful" - I just can't get behind that. Both of my parents came from lower middle income families and never had any interest in going to college themselves. They both work harder than anyone I know, and although I consider them to be intelligent people, neither of them has the desire to be a brain surgeon. They struggle and sometimes live paycheck to paycheck. Does this mean they are lazy? Not at all. They chose the lifestyle they live, are happy together and enjoy their jobs, and raised three children who have good manners. I chose to get a college education because I love school but I don't think that is the right path for everyone. Is it really inconceivable that some people in lower income jobs actually choose that path rather than just fall into it due to their horrible laziness?

Being poor/uneducated/ethnic does not automatically bestow bad manners upon someone and it's not the "PC blinders" that make me say that. It's just common sense. It takes a lot to offend me because I do believe that we are all entitled to our opinions. However, the comments you are making are hurtful and very bigoted.

SzczerbiakManiac
04-12-2002, 12:11 PM
lillas wrote:
Asians and latino's have no concept of how to wait in line to get a picture with Mickey. In the occidental tradition, thats rude.I have to ask you lillas, are you trying to alienate all the Asian & Latino MPers? :confused:

Methinks you may hear a lot of plonks* if you don't take a step back and truly think about what you're saying and how it may affect others.

*In UseNet parlance, the sound that is heard when someone is dropped into a killfile.

corrinhorn
04-12-2002, 12:15 PM
along those lines, of the Kids stopming through the planter, I have seen teenagers go through the actual park and rip up the plants. I was visiting as a guest once, and saw to teens by Space Mountian pick some celery from the planter between Honey... and space mtn. and begin to EAT IT!!! I decided that I would warn them of the chemicals that they put on the horticulture there and they basically told me off until I showed them my Cast Member ID. they decided to throw the celery away. Where did people learn to be so rude to fellow human beings?!?

mad4mky
04-12-2002, 12:22 PM
The hard workers who actually think about their future realize they need to buckle down, get an education, and work harder to succeed.

Well, this is kind of funny. My ex husband (not that he is my best friend or anything....obviously. So I am not giving him free advertisement here), didn't go off and get a college education. But, I just about guarentee he probably makes a lot more than you. I know he makes a lot more than me...

He owns a Plumbing Contracting business. No college degrees there...and he rakes in the bucks. (hmmm, that reminds me, did he pay me my child support yet for this month?;) ). And he IS VERY RUDE to me. Maybe there is something behind your rudeness theory and lack of education...:( ;) ;) ;)

lillas
04-12-2002, 12:23 PM
One of the great things about the internet is that we can all be completely honest with our own thoughts and feelings with out fear of physical assualt. In the real world you just can't tell your boss he's a jerk or your wife that she is fat...society can't function without little white lies. I'm not trying to offend, just open up an honest, no holds barred conversation about society. If you disagree, give me some arguments...some excellent counter points have been made ie. "white kids suck too". Also, I'm not talking about Americans of asian or latin desent, I'm talking about forigners who just don't understand American customs and make visiting DL less pleasent. Particularly in southern CA, citizenship has alot to do with wealth/ customs/ manners.

mad4mky
04-12-2002, 12:35 PM
One of the great things about the internet is that we can all be completely honest with our own thoughts and feelings with out fear of physical assualt.

Nah, I still watch what I say. I don't want to be thought of as rude, obnoxious and catty. (although sometimes I think that way!).

And, I have met some of the MP people twice and Disneyland...oh and once in London for a play! So, I do watch what I say. I would like them to want to continue to meet with me....
or ask for my opinions on articles (like Todays!! I am quoted several times in the "American in Paris" article...I'm Peggy!).

So...I am as honest as I can be, without trying to offend...:rolleyes:

SzczerbiakManiac
04-12-2002, 12:54 PM
lillas wrote:
For example, black people dominate professional basketball. Is it nature or nurture? I don't know, it's just a fact.That is a quantifiable statement to which I agree. To disagree with a fact would be silly.

lillas wrote:
White people dominate business... nature or nurture?I'll assume you're speaking about American business and "agree" for the same reasons as above.

lillas wrote:
Asians and latino's have no concept of how to wait in line to get a picture with Mickey.This is where I think you went astray. You made a blanket statement about all Asians & Latinos. Unless you have exhaustive scientific studies on this phenomenon, I cannot accept your premise. Had you said, "It has been my experience that Asians & Latinos..." or something expressing your opinion, fine. You're allowed to feel however you feel. And for the most part, you're allowed to say whatever you feel. (Peruse Supreme Court records for exceptions to this rule.) But if you express opinions as facts, be prepared to get called to task for doing so.

lillas wrote:
One of the great things about the internet is that we can all be completely honest with our own thoughts and feelings with out fear of physical assault.True. But one of the biggest drawbacks of the Internet (IMO) is the lack of visual cues to flavor the context of our speech. I suspect if we (all of us) were having this discussion IRL, your vocal inflections and facial/body mannerisms would help us to fully understand the feelings behind your words. But (forgive me if I'm being pedestrian here) without those clues, it behooves us all to carefully consider what we write before we post it where all can see.

Okay, I'm done with it for now--who wants the soapbox? ;)