PDA

View Full Version : Dapper Dans get their walking papers, last day is March 25th

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Darkbeer
02-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I just got a heads up that the Dapper Dans got their official notice that is required by the collective bargaining agreement from the Entertainment Department that they are being terminated.

It is a major shame that these guys are getting the boot, so here is a chance to make sure and check them out one last time (or more than once, since you have about a month.)

They have been terminated before, and then brought back, so hopefully this is just a tactic to keep the salaries down.

But I think stopping by and thanking the group would really help right now! :fez:

Mommy2NicknMax
02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Oh that is so sad to hear! I hope you're right and they're brought back though. I will sure miss them!! I hope I can get to DL before March 25th!!

TikiGeek
02-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I just got a heads up that the Dapper Dans got their official notice that is required by the collective bargaining agreement from the Entertainment Department that they are being terminated.What!! :mad: You've got to be kidding me? Why??? I can't believe this - why would they get rid of the DD's They're fixtures on Main St. - I'm so fricking PO'ed right now. :(

Darkbeer
02-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Here is a link to an old MousePlanet article talking about the Dapper Dans...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue/sk010628.htm

TikiGeek
02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
I hope this is just a ploy - with Rod Miller gone I can't stand the thought of the Dan's gone too - Good Lord! What next?

Mark Mywords
02-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I can't believe that the park would really completely do away with the Dans. The worst case scenario I can really imagine is that, for one reason or another, they want to get rid of the current Dans and replace them with new members. Still, hopefully it's just a negotiation ploy. I got a chance to talk to one of the Dans last summer (Bill, I think). Those guys are great! It's hard to imagine a Mainstreet without the Dapper Dans.

TikiGeek
02-23-2006, 12:49 PM
O.K. - I've calmed down now. :rolleyes:

What can we do to help save the Dan's? Letters to Matt? Complain at City Hall? Should I chain myself to a Churro Cart?

How can we save the Dans! :confused:

Andrew
02-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Let me be the first to suggest the laying of flowers on Main Street to commemorate the passing into history of the Dapper Dans.

Vegitabeta
02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Let me be the first to suggest the laying of flowers on Main Street to commemorate the passing into history of the Dapper Dans.
Ok, isn't that joke getting a little old? :p

Any ideas why they are getting the boot? It's a shame 'cos they sound really good!

Mommy2NicknMax
02-23-2006, 01:25 PM
I knew this was coming, LOL!!!

THpoohbear
02-23-2006, 01:29 PM

That's funny when it's not serious... but to me the end of the Dan's are SERIOUS! Seriously, I've never been moved to write Disney a letter before, but I'm moved to do so now. Anyone got addresses?

cstephens
02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
I have recently acquired a real fondness for the Dapper Dans. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DL123105/ny2006-004.jpg)

Opus1guy
02-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I've known Dapper lead Shelby since way back in the 70's when we were both a lot younger.

And I've flown with his lovely wife who was (is?) a First Class flight attendant for United Airlines, many times over the years in a continuing string of "it's a small world, isn't it" flights, where we've had several fun conversations about this and that.

As such, it's especially sad to hear such news about people you've known and appreciated for so many years.

I join with others in hoping that this is just a bargaining ploy, and that this major and long-running Main Street attraction isn't shut down for good. And that Disneyland goes again with "the best" for their Guests. Which is these boys.

SeansMom
02-23-2006, 03:25 PM
That's funny when it's not serious... but to me the end of the Dan's are SERIOUS! Seriously, I've never been moved to write Disney a letter before, but I'm moved to do so now. Anyone got addresses?
Ditto. I say a letter campaign is well deserved!

MrsG
02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
What!! :mad: You've got to be kidding me? Why??? I can't believe this - why would they get rid of the DD's They're fixtures on Main St. - I'm so fricking PO'ed right now. :(
So agree! I hope it is just temporary!

Darkbeer
02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Alas, why are they being terminated JUST before PEAK Easter Break....:mad:

defm22
02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Simply unbelievable!

I truly hope Disney rethinks that decision in the event its not a rumor.

While visiting Disneyland a few weeks back I remember stopping to listen to them with our kids. Our 15 month old was just fascinated with their performance as she watched from her stroller. Same with our 4 year old, visit after visit. Wont be the same without them.

While management is at it, they might as well remove remaining fixtures on Main street, Gas Lamps, trees, Omnibus, and whatever else would save them a few thousand dollars a week.

Time to write another letter...

disneyochem
02-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Ooooohhhhhh nnnnnoooooo! We love this group! Everyone in my family (grandma who is 70 and youngest DD who is 6) looks forward to listening to them. Crowd interaction is fantastic. I for one will certainly participate in a letter-writing campaign to help keep this priceless DL resource!

darph nader
02-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Ooohkay, who's BRIGHT IDEA was this? The worst part is i've missed them the last few times we've been there.We were looking forward to seeing them in a few years.:mad:

stitchlvr
02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Does anybody know what the best address is to write letters of protest or just to beg them to change their minds?????

potzbie
02-23-2006, 06:47 PM
If Disney will be replacing the Dapper Dans with a quartet of ladies, then I will hold an open mind.
SPEBSQSA does have an all-female affiliate organization.
(Please: Someone post a note as to their name and their official tie to the all-male group.)

Maybe Political Correctness has hit Big Time and the Dapper Dans will be replaced with 2 + 2 for the sake of equality.

(See POTC (soon to be renamed "Pirates of the greater Gulf of Mexico" to be more "inclusive" in ethnicity) for one sad example.)

But if you get rid of the Dapper Dans, what will Disney insert to fill that kind of musical gap? -- Doubling the work load of the Firehouse Five? Having the Main Street Mercantile Orchestra sing a cappella?

Another Dimension
02-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok, isn't that joke getting a little old? :p

Any ideas why they are getting the boot? It's a shame 'cos they sound really good!

Naw.. it would be old if the Dapper Dans were being replaced with a loop, or the Dapper Dans were being tested inside the old SSL building.

BTW... Monsters is a wonderful replacement for SSL.. and replacement for well, nothing.

Why DL disheartenly terminates awesomely talented, pleasing MILLIONS a year, wonderful street entertainment while giving mostly underworked and always overpaid managers and TDA Execs operations bonuses and raises ... I'll never get.
Those that make the magic should be retained and paid well as the special talents they are.
Suits have no special talents.... or they would have different jobs. Not just as overpaid stuffed shirts with pretty framed real-world uselessness on their walls.

But I still miss the Tower Bell Hops and miss tons of deemed 'non-magical and expendable' NOS entertainment and the Adventureland bands (Remember when Adv land had live music?? And Fantasyland too?) and as direct result of less live Entertainment inside DL and DCA...
I spend much less money when inside the parks and on property in general...

It's Disney's choice.

They wish to spend much LESS on non-character world class Entertainment, and I REFUSE to pay them any MORE money for LESS and LESS.

But it's Disney.. they will do what they want, no matter what. I'll just refuse to pay for their decisions.
No flowers, no mourning, no threads, no protests. Just my money.

I suggest keeping the DAPPER DANS... and getting rid of the Trashcan Trio. Talk about annoying!
Even *I* am a better drummer.

PirateSmile
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
:(:(:(:( I love the Dapper Dans!

WITron
02-23-2006, 08:29 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was just someone overreacting about a rumor. That was until I saw who the OP was. It is sad when the let people who create the magic go.

olegc
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I wonder if this is somehow related to what they did with the dickens carolers during Christmas time. These newer, younger, carolers had a slight edge to them - singing Elvis tunes (complete with hip-swinging impersonation), feliz navidad, some antics, and some definite innuendo one-liners.

makes me wonder if this is the direction they want to take the Dans as well and that the existing Dans just don't have that "hip" element to them...

Maybe Anne Hammburger did not leave DLR Entertainment after all! :eek: