PDA

View Full Version : Best Bread Bowl soup?

Pages : [1] 2

luvmyfamily
02-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Sounds silly, I know.... but I am taking my mother to DLR and DCA next week and she has not been to DLR in over 20 years. The thing she remember most is the bread bowl soup. Where do they have the best one? She can't remember where she had it...

Thanks in advance!

Quinten27
02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Not sure about in DL, but we got some really good bread bowls at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA last time we were there. I would give them my recommendation. :)

CariBelle
02-22-2006, 03:48 PM
We usually get them in NOS at the little walk up place, I can't think of the name right now, and eat them while we wait for Fantasmic! I get the veggie gumbo and boyfriend gets the clam chowder.

THpoohbear
02-22-2006, 03:57 PM
You can get soup bread bowls in New Orleans Square (Cafe Orleans, River Belle, and French Market), and if she had some 20 years ago, I'm guessing that's where she got them. I don't know of any other area of the park where you can get them.

DCA does also have bread bowls. A couple of my friends love the bread bowls, and they vote that the ones at the Pacific Warf Cafe are better than the ones in DL. Happy break bowl hunting!

CariBelle
02-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I just looked it up, we get ours at the Royal Street Veranda. The fritters are also very good!

stan4d_steph
02-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Boudin makes the best sourdough bread, hands down. Their bread bowls are served at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA.

JookyG
02-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Last time I got one at the walk-up in NOS, it was barely lukewarm, and clam chowder isn't very good served cold. Eeew.

Malcon10t
02-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Sounds silly, I know.... but I am taking my mother to DLR and DCA next week and she has not been to DLR in over 20 years. The thing she remember most is the bread bowl soup. Where do they have the best one? She can't remember where she had it...

Thanks in advance!They have several. The French Market has both Clam Chowder and a Beef Stew bowl. I love the beef one. At the Wharf, they also have corn chowder. The park has changed so much in 20 years, I don't know where they were then. At the French Market, you get a salad with the beef bowl. There's so much food, we usually split it.

Opus1guy
02-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Boudin makes the best sourdough bread, hands down. Their bread bowls are served at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA.

I like 'em there too, but I'm always disappointed in the volume of soup in 'em at Boudin. For that price, I'd like to have more than six to ten spoonfuls of chowdah.

If it was 20 years ago...I agree with those that posted the New Orleans Square area sellers of them, as being the likely candidates. Royal Street Veranda has been selling them pretty much continually.

hlbtimes2
02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
The chili in a bread bowl at refreshment/ coke corner is pretty good.

MrsG
02-22-2006, 07:07 PM
The bread at Pacific Wharf Cafe (DCA) was, of course, delish. But I ordered the corn chowder, and it did not taste like chowder at all. If you like the flavor of chili, that is the one to get.

olegc
02-22-2006, 08:02 PM
I like 'em there too, but I'm always disappointed in the volume of soup in 'em at Boudin. For that price, I'd like to have more than six to ten spoonfuls of chowdah.

If it was 20 years ago...I agree with those that posted the New Orleans Square area sellers of them, as being the likely candidates. Royal Street Veranda has been selling them pretty much continually.

interesting. My experience is opposite. Boudin (Pacific wharf) had a larger "bowl" (inside of the bread) than in NOS - which looks like someone took a cornmeal shaker can and used it to cut a hole in the bread...

I guess it depends on time of day and where you go...

potzbie
02-22-2006, 08:09 PM
My "regular" meal is the chili bread bowl when I watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies in the Golden Horseshoe.

But didn't they change the menu a few months ago?
I think the chili bowl is gone to YesterLand.
:crying:

PragmaticIdealist
02-22-2006, 08:37 PM
My favorite is the vegetarian corn chowder at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in D.C.A., but the gumbo and jumbalaya is good, too.

Your mother probably had the clam chowder at the Harbour Galley in the Critter Country area since this restaurant is the first at Disneyland to serve soup in bread bowls. But, unfortunately, that particular location no longer serves the item.

PragmaticIdealist
02-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Incidentally, the restaurants will provide you with a sample if you request it.

luvmyfamily
02-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks everyone! I didn't expect so many answers so quick! I have had the ones at NOS and it was a hit or miss - I will take her to DCL and see what she thinks!

CariBelle
02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Ah! I just looked at the Pacific Wharf Cafe menu and they have a Bakersfield soup, how cute!

And evidentally I'm slow, I just noticed Baker's Field Bakery lol

emmah
02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
i've now had the vege chowder a couple of times, and have been disappointed each time. huge amounts of bread (which you can't really eat - very thick and tasteless) with a small amount of lukewarm chowder. not a great option in my opinion.

SandraVB79
02-23-2006, 02:02 AM
I've had the bread bowl with clam chowder at Café Orleans, and I like dit a lot! Am already "dreaming" about another one, whenever I'll return! :D

geoffa
02-23-2006, 02:51 AM

Thanks in advance!

In DL you'll find them at Royal Street Veranda, New Orleans Square:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/dining/detail?name=RoyalStreetVerandaDiningPage&bhcp=1

These days they offer clam chowder which, on a cold, wet, windy day was most welcome! There are also two gumbos in bread bowls.

Here's the entire menu and prices:

http://allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_roy.htm

Enjoy!:)

stan4d_steph
02-23-2006, 05:28 AM
I like 'em there too, but I'm always disappointed in the volume of soup in 'em at Boudin. For that price, I'd like to have more than six to ten spoonfuls of chowdah.Do they let you get a bread bowl "to go" at the Pacific Wharf Cafe? I used to do that at the Boudin Cafes that are around SoCal. They put the soup in a separate takeaway container, so it seemed to me you got more. It also allowed me to warm the bread in the oven before eating. mmmmm :)

Opus1guy
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Do they let you get a bread bowl "to go" at the Pacific Wharf Cafe? I used to do that at the Boudin Cafes that are around SoCal. They put the soup in a separate takeaway container, so it seemed to me you got more. It also allowed me to warm the bread in the oven before eating. mmmmm :)

I don't know, but next time...I'll give it a try!

Maus
02-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Do they let you get a bread bowl "to go" at the Pacific Wharf Cafe? I used to do that at the Boudin Cafes that are around SoCal. They put the soup in a separate takeaway container, so it seemed to me you got more. It also allowed me to warm the bread in the oven before eating. mmmmm :)

Yes, I've done this. If eaten there it seems I throw most of the bread away.

CariBelle
02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
The last bread bowl I had at the Veranda was so hot! I had to let it sit and cool. Boyfriend's chowder was ok, but the veggie gumbo was piping hot.

TTFN92
02-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I LOVE the Broccolli Cheese soup at Boudin in DCA! I am not a chowder fan, but one of my kids likes it. I got the Beef Gumbo in NOS and it was good, but a little spicy. I also got one for my little boys to share but they couldn't eat it. I didn't think they would like the Clam Chowder because we don't really eat fish, but they ended up eating my older son's, and he wasn't happy about it.