PDA

View Full Version : What is the Flag Retreat Ceremony?

Pages : [1] 2

pooh0200
02-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Is this something we whould see or it isjust ok our group ranges from the ages of 2 months to 66 years old. So should we try to see it? What is it anyways?

Leslie

tod
02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Military-style ritual of taking down the flag at sunset. Star Spangled Banner plays, people stand, take off their hats, they've been ringing the flagpole with costumed CMs lately.

Maybe not the most thrilling thing to watch, but it's quick and painless. And I'll bet they've been doing it since the park opened.

--t

Another Dimension
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
It's incredibly honorable and touching at times... it makes you feel good inside and everyone should see it, at least once (if not every visit to DL!)
Especially every single American Guest. :D

cstephens
02-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Unless it's some kind of special occasion, there aren't usually that many CMs at flag retreat, and they're usually lined up in front of the train station stairs or thereabouts, so I was surprised on Monday to see so many CMs around the flagpole. I wondered what was going on. They do rather block the view there, so I'd rather they go back to the train station.

Opus1guy
02-22-2006, 05:02 PM
This seems to be almost as popular a subject as the PeopleMover!

I don't know if this is going to work, but let's give it a try:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/search.php?searchid=299467

If that link worked...you should see lots of other threads on this subject that may provide you with more info and opinions on this.

If that link doesn't work, then you may see lots of threads about sap-gathering in Maine. ;)

:)

Another Dimension
02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Unless it's some kind of special occasion, there aren't usually that many CMs at flag retreat, and they're usually lined up in front of the train station stairs or thereabouts, so I was surprised on Monday to see so many CMs around the flagpole. I wondered what was going on. They do rather block the view there, so I'd rather they go back to the train station.

Monday was 'Presidents Day'.. wasn't it?

....and I LOVE the Flag Reteat, live with the Disneyland Band or the College All Stars, or even just with the Town Square audio.
Either way.. it's cool and always touching and worth a stop.
No matter where I am heading, or how late. It's the National Anthem.

"I'm not sorry I'm a bit late, I stopped for the Flag Retreat!" :)

Aristocat
02-23-2006, 09:42 AM
The ceremony is really nice and worth setting aside the time to see it. It's simple, but you won't be disappointed.

TikiGeek
02-23-2006, 09:54 AM
It's incredibly honorable and touching at times... it makes you feel good inside and everyone should see it, at least once (if not every visit to DL!)Yes. I stand on the east side of the hub - when the national anthem is done playing I look at the light in Walt's apartment and thank him. :)

Maus
02-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Here are some photos.

Yahoo! Photos - Disneyland Flag Retreat July 05 (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mauskateer/album?.dir=/fa21&.src=ph)

cstephens
02-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Monday was 'Presidents Day'.. wasn't it?

Yeah, I considered that, but Presidents' Day doesn't scream a flag affiliation to me - for Memorial Day or Flag Day or September 11, I could see that more.

I still want them to stop blocking the view.

CariBelle
02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I considered that, but Presidents' Day doesn't scream a flag affiliation to me - for Memorial Day or Flag Day or September 11, I could see that more.

I still want them to stop blocking the view.

My town puts up tons of flags for President's Day now. It used to be just for Memorial Day, but they have started doing the service for PD too.

Another Dimension
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Here are some photos.

Yahoo! Photos - Disneyland Flag Retreat July 05 (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mauskateer/album?.dir=/fa21&.src=ph)

Nice pics. Thanks! :cool:

Simba's Mom
02-24-2006, 01:07 PM
The ceremony including the band (which, IMO, is the ONLY way to see it, not that I'm biased since DS was in it) runs from mid-June until mid-August (hopefully, I'll get 2006 dates soon). Those pictures are great! The Band Director was Art Bartner, a DL tradition for 29 years. Officially, 2005 was his last year as director.

JDBlair
02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
This board has been instrumental in finding new things to do during our trip. I am going to watch the Flag Retreat this visit. At the very least, my family should take time in our day to stop, remember and appreciate what this flag symbolizes and say thank you to those who have given their lives for our freedom. Without such sacrifice, perhaps there wouldn't be a Disneyland?

Maus
02-24-2006, 06:33 PM
The ceremony including the band (which, IMO, is the ONLY way to see it, not that I'm biased since DS was in it) runs from mid-June until mid-August (hopefully, I'll get 2006 dates soon). Those pictures are great! The Band Director was Art Bartner, a DL tradition for 29 years. Officially, 2005 was his last year as director.

Art is the band director for USC. I didn't find that out until the Rose Bowl halftime show. Do you know if he also retired from USC?

darph nader
02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Military-style ritual of taking down the flag at sunset. Star Spangled Banner plays, people stand, take off their hats, they've been ringing the flagpole with costumed CMs lately.

Maybe not the most thrilling thing to watch, but it's quick and painless. And I'll bet they've been doing it since the park opened.

--t

Sorry tod.Ritual and military ,yes.The key is TRADITION! Just as the Muslims bow to Mecca 3 or 4 times a day,we take our liberty and freedom too much for granted. Please don't get me wrong, what happened after 9/11 , us rubbing everyone elses noses in our flag, including the Olympics.Somehow i figured this would happen. Oh yes it's not THRILLING ,or painless,given the price paid for that privlege.

Pat-n-Eil
02-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Sorry tod.Ritual and military ,yes.The key is TRADITION! Just as the Muslims bow to Mecca 3 or 4 times a day,we take our liberty and freedom too much for granted. Please don't get me wrong, what happened after 9/11 , us rubbing everyone elses noses in our flag, including the Olympics.Somehow i figured this would happen. Oh yes it's not THRILLING ,or painless,given the price paid for that privlege.

Am I the only one who really didn't understand this post? Darph, I'm not picking up what you're trying to put down.

Malcon10t
02-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Am I the only one who really didn't understand this post? Darph, I'm not picking up what you're trying to put down.You arent the only one, don't worry. I didn't understaand what the poster was trying to say.

Another Dimension
02-25-2006, 06:36 PM

Am I the only one who really didn't understand this post? Darph, I'm not picking up what you're trying to put down.

What I got out of it was... FLAG RETREAT = GOOD.

It's just a few minutes long, it's not going to bore or hurt or over stimulate or intellectiually challenge anyone with even the least intelligence... and the few minutes spent honoring what we all have as Americans... is a few minutes respectively and honorably well spent.
If the Flag Retreat makes one feel good inside, all the better for the individual in their own heart and self patriotism .... but if the Flag Retreat doesn't make one feel good inside.. there are far worse ways to spend some quiet time with the family.. then by spending a few minutes honoring the United States of America and listening to the National Anthem and Hail to the Chief.

At at least the curious get to see/experience it... whether they like it and want to see it again or not.
All Americans at Disneyland should stop and see it once. The few minutes is an excellent time to reflect internally and respect what we have, and to honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

After all... it's our Grand 'ol Flag.
Stop and smell the roses, pause and honor America. It's time WELL SPENT.

tod
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM

They asked what it was, I told them. Some people get a swelling of patriotic fervor, some people think it's a total waste of time. I tried to get away from opinion and give a quick factual description of what it was. (And compared to some experiences at Disneyland, watching a flag get lowered is low on the "wow" scale.)

It is also a fact that no matter how you feel about it, it is over in ten minutes, so even people who aren't interested and get dragged there don't lose a lot of time out of their day at Disneyland. I pointed that out too.

--t

darph nader
02-27-2006, 06:04 PM
I apologize.The point i was trying to get across was that the ceremony may be quick and painless , but the freedom came at a price.12 hour work days makes you think one thing,type something else.:rolleyes: Hard to come across correctly in such a short reply.

cstephens
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
The point i was trying to get across was that the ceremony may be quick and painless , but the freedom came at a price.

I still don't get it...

It's a nice ceremony, particularly on special days. It's not a "must do" or a "give it a pass". It's just nice.

tod
02-28-2006, 08:52 AM
I apologize.The point i was trying to get across was that the ceremony may be quick and painless , but the freedom came at a price.12 hour work days makes you think one thing,type something else.:rolleyes: Hard to come across correctly in such a short reply.

So far as I know, "freedom" also allows you to ignore the ceremony, dislike it, disparage it, or consider it a waste of time.

Not that I do -- or encourage -- any of these things, I'm just sayin'.

--t

darph nader
02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
So far as I know, "freedom" also allows you to ignore the ceremony, dislike it, disparage it, or consider it a waste of time.

Not that I do -- or encourage -- any of these things, I'm just sayin'.

--t

Touche! The Constitution says freedom OF,speech, relgion,which to me means accept or ignore.I concede.:| Makes me sorry i replied to this particular thread.no offence

Another Dimension
04-11-2006, 02:39 AM
A recent Disneyland Flag Retreat video clip.... :)

Disneyland Flag Retreat Video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HOASw8JTIqI)