PDA

View Full Version : December or January?

mousemom
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Our family is planning a trip for the week of December 17-23 or January 1-6. I'd really like to go when the park is least crowded. Does anyone have experience with these two times of year? I'm wondering when schools will be on vacation and if more families will be out of school the week before Christmas or after New Years' Day. Any input from all you seasoned travellers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.:)

tod
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
December: Christmassy, well-decorated, busy, full of people, running on all 12 cylinders.

January: Off season, attractions start getting closed for their annual rehabs, less crowded, Christmas decorations either gone or sadly hanging on past their prime.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Take your pick.

--t

stan4d_steph
02-23-2006, 05:45 AM
I would go with the week before Christmas. The weekends in December can be busy due to locals coming for the holiday decorations and atmosphere, but the weekday crowds at that time are generally lower.

If you come in January, you miss the decorations and as tod said, rides may have started to close down for their refurbs.

Malcon10t
02-23-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm wondering when schools will be on vacation and if more families will be out of school the week before Christmas or after New Years' Day. Any input from all you seasoned travellers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.:)From the looks of the school schedule for northern CA, we will be out from Dec 22-Jan 7. I would suggest Dec 17-23 if you are looking to avoid crowds. (Of course, we will be there Dec 23-Jan3.)
This is not saying it won't be crowded. It wil just be less crowded.

mousemom
02-24-2006, 12:42 PM
We will probably stick with the week before Christmas. I too love Christmas at DL but have usually gone earlier in the month. Before deciding for sure, I think I'll watch the schedule to see what parades etc. they offer for the weeks we are considering and see what we would be missing by going after New Year's. I think there would be less people then. Any more ideas would be appreciated!