PDA

View Full Version : September Dilemma

barely
02-21-2006, 06:17 PM
My hubby our 5 year old and I are planning to visit Dl in September-a first since a disastrous visit in July '96. We had planned to visit Monday September 11th thru Friday September 15th in hopes of avoining the crowds (except Friday for Half Marathon).
Now, a co-worker has me almost convinced to change the dates so we don't miss the fireworks. We would visit from Saturday September 9th thru Wednesday September 13th. We would have dinner at the BB and see the fireworks on Saturday, then spend Sunday at DCA, finishing with Monday thru Wednesday at DL. Is the trade-off of weekdays for fireworks worth it? And does Anaheim swelter in September? I just want to be prepared. Any advice would be deeply appreciated as I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Thank you in advance for you caring replies

MammaSilva
02-21-2006, 06:20 PM
If you haven't been in that long and you have the option to schedule it to be there for the fireworks, I'd re arrange my schedule in a blink...we have to watch the fireworks from the small world area for assorted reasons, (I'm not putting my daughter in a tight crowd again, my thang) but the show is so awesome even there that I wouldn't miss it if I had the options. The weather in the fall is as iffy as it is in the spring, same advice applies, take layers, you might have the Perfect so cal day, it might be a little warmer ...we were there in feb and I was in capris it was that warm! Layers and flexible attire is the key!

emmah
02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
hi there, i can't comment about september since i have only ever been in january, and then last year, the first week of december, but I can comment on the fireworks. last year i deliberately timed my trip so I had my first ever weekend in the park, so I could see the fireworks and parades and those things that are only on in the weekends. the fireworks are fantastic and should definitely not be missed; as it happened they were on every night of my trip and I saw them 6 times - once from small world mall, once from the balcony overlooking fantasmic, and 4 times in front of the castle - a far far preferable viewing spot. it was fantastic!!! even though the trade off was busier days on friday and the weekend, all the extras more than made up for the extra people. and as i still had tue-thurs, i got to do all my favorite rides many times anyway. so, my advice would be; definitely change your dates!
:) :)

Mark099
02-21-2006, 11:40 PM
If I recall, the first weekend after Labor Day is still usually quite crowded. Summer hours are usually still in effect. If Sept 9th and 10th are still blocked out for those with Southern California passes, then the crowds may be tolerable. If not, DL will be crowded.

SandraVB79
02-22-2006, 12:09 AM
I am also going in September, no dates are set, but a weekend will be included, especially for the fireworks and fantasmic! It is SO worth it!

Hoppypooh
02-22-2006, 07:02 AM
We went last September and are planning a return visit this September. The weather was shorts and t-shirts during the day. It was warm (pleasant) but not sweaty or sweltering. In the evenings we needed a sweater or sweat shirt and hubby changed into jeans. And I absolutely agree with all the other posters: DO NOT miss the fireworks! Weekends are definitely more crowded than weekdays, but the fireworks are worth it! It was absolutely the very best thing about our trip!

barely
02-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Dates are CHANGED...THANKS so much!:)

SandraVB79
02-22-2006, 07:08 AM
The larger crowds during the weekends are also compensated by the longer opening hours.

The weather conditions... are relative to where you come from. Warm for someone from Alaska might be cold for someone from SoCal...

SoCal winters are what we get during our summer :rolleyes:

DianeM
02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
It depends how much you dislike crowds. Personally, I only visit the park when I can reasonably hope for low crowds. I just can't handle the big crowds, and end up miserable. If you consider dealing with crowds a mere inconvenience, then you might want to visit when you can see the fireworks. If crowds would ruin your trip, then watch the fireworks on-line and visit when you can enjoy the park. Remember - the goal is to have a good time, not to check items off a list of "must-see" events.

I typically visit in September. Weather at that time of year is variable. It will probably be warm, but not as hot as August, when temperatures can hit the high 90's or low 100's. There is no way of guaranteeing perfect weather. One year I went in late September, and it was incredibly muggy. We ended up spending a lot of time in our room because the humidity was overwhelming. But since the crowds were small, we were still able to enjoy everything we wanted to in the parks.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated as I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Thank you in advance for you caring replies