PDA

View Full Version : Puh-leeze! Shut Up!

Pages : [1] 2

justagrrl
04-07-2002, 08:25 PM
What is the proper way to ask the people you are sharing a boat with, on say -Pirates, to quit talking.

The entire ride we endured rounds of "do you really think he likes me?" - "OH YEAH! Oh course he does"...from the girls behind us that looked to be around 18 or so. I looked behind me a few times, glared as best I could in the semi darkness. I think I finally said something to my child that it wouldn't it be nice if people were quiet on the ride so everyone could enjoy it. That did it as I was then glared at like I was some sort of bad guy - but at least they quieted down for around 2 minutes or so before they went into the discussion of should they have changed to ride to be more PC.

To add to our enjoyment the people at the front of the boat must have taken an entire roll of film using their flash.

So - I know I'm not the only one.

What's the nice "miss manners" way to handle it? Just endure and put up with it? Or am I also being rude asking them to be quiet?

Uncle Dick
04-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Personally, I just grin and bear it. I know that there will be other times... many other times and that one bad ride isn't going to make much of a difference. That said, I don't think it's wrong to ask someone to please be quiet if you're trying to enjoy an attraction. Just be nice and use "please" and "thank you". I don't ask because I'm a pushover and dislike confrontation.

BELLEH5
04-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Oh my goodness the same thing happened to me!!!! I was by myself in the back row. A boat full of people who didn't speak english(which makes it worse!). They kept on trying to touch stuff like the "captain's treasure and streets. And to top it off the 2 people in front of me were kissing non stop!!!! It was very very bad!!! I had to wait almost an hour in line!!!!! (3/29/02)

Morrigoon
04-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Reminds me of the time I was on the Innoventions balcony to watch Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks. After they ended, and the hoarde of people were leaving Innoventions, there was a teen couple leaning against the wall just past the last door (where absolutely EVERYONE leaving Innoventions had to pass them!) who were making out in a big way. Nevermind that small children were walking past them. Having a very high embarrassment threshold, I said (VERY loudly), "Oh my god! LOOK at those two!". They separated so fast it was almost audible :)

Ever been in a movie theater when someone's cell phone goes off? I was once, and the guy ANSWERED it! It just happened to be a very quiet part of the movie too, so it was painfully obvious. I turned around and said "Tell them you're busy!" That elicited a muffled giggle from a few, but the man on the phone did leave the theater (still talking).

Public humiliation is very effective ;)

Brown Monkey
04-08-2002, 10:17 AM
I say next time you are at POTC, demand your own boat. That way no one could ever bother you. Just kidding! :D

I too agree with the rest of you that it is such an irriation having to deal with the clueless people in public places who have no regard for respect or appropriateness towards others. But I think everyone has pretty much said what works. Either be really polite when requesting for them to shut up, or humiliate the cr*p out of them! If all else fails, then slap them silly! Kidding again! ;)

mad4mky
04-08-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

Ever been in a movie theater when someone's cell phone goes off? I was once, and the guy ANSWERED it! It just happened to be a very quiet part of the movie too, so it was painfully obvious. I turned around and said "Tell them you're busy!" That elicited a muffled giggle from a few, but the man on the phone did leave the theater (still talking).

Public humiliation is very effective ;)

Morrigoon...Didn't you notice while at DLParis, people CONSTANTLY on their cell phones? Even on the rides....they just jitter-jattered away. I couldn't believe it...

They'd get on a ride while talking...continue talking while ride, and get off the ride continuing the same conversation! It was amazing.
Or, the phone would ring in the middle of the ride, and they'd start up the conversation. :confused: :(

Brown Monkey
04-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Wow mad4mky! I'm speechless. Cell phone convo DURING a ride? :eek:

Wow... i'm still speechless.

tabacco
04-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Oh I dunno.. I had my cell ring once on the big hill on Screamin' and I was REALLY tempted to answer it :)

"Helloooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgggggh?"

What you need for POTC is a way to make your voice all echoey. Then just imitate a CM: "Please remain quiet, thank you."

oohykitten
04-08-2002, 02:21 PM
I HATED that people talked and didn't even seem to care when the Mansion had it's overlay. Do you know how hard it is to hear when more than just a boat full of people?

CaliforniaCrazy
04-08-2002, 02:32 PM
I'm with Morrigoon on this one. I wish I had your attitude about handling problems of people talking during a ride. One time I was in the Haunted Mansion and someone about two or three Doombuggies ahead of me was taking flash photography during the whole ride, and the other person was using a video camera with a light so bright that you could see all the strings holding the instruments in Madame Leota's circle. I couldn't take it anymore, so I yelled at the top of my lungs "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO LIGHTING!" You wouldn't believe how fast they cut their lights off! :cool:

Bill Catherall
04-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
What you need for POTC is a way to make your voice all echoey. Then just imitate a CM: "Please remain quiet, thank you."

Or (in a real deep voice)... "Dead men don't talk..." :D

When the entire boat is acting up it just kind of makes you want to stand up and rock the boat. Either you'll really get their attention or you'll get kicked off the ride. Either way...you win.

And speaking of PotC... Is that crocodile in the swamp new? I noticed it when we were there last Tuesday and don't remember ever seeing it before. It's on the left side of the boat (the side I usually sit on).

Ace
04-08-2002, 03:21 PM
cell phones, psh. Have you ever been on a ride, sitting behind someone with a LIGHT CHASER? I didn't think so... well, you probably have. Anyway, I can't stand cell phones. Especially at Disneyland... I don't go to talk on the phone... I can do that at home.

funnygarcia
04-08-2002, 03:33 PM
You could always just join their conversation .. "yeah he really doesn't like you because your so loud and rude" or for those sucking spit " hey what kind of mouth wash are u using? It must be really good...."

Reminds of this fall when a teen couple from the nearby high school were making out as my class of 17 preschoolers watched in fascination from the classroom window. I ran out there and said " you have an audience" and pointed at the little faces pressed to the glass. they got all red and the boy ran off and the girl just stood there in shock ... Meanwhile all the staff were laughing until they cried then happily reminisced of "the good ole days " of being young and foolish (my coworkers are all over 60 yrs old, I am the youngster at 31!)...

tabacco
04-08-2002, 04:40 PM
I had something similar happen back in high school. I was in a drafting class, and there was a couple making out on the lawn outside the window. Many members of the class noticed, and finally our teacher (extremely cool person!) walks over, opens the window, and yells: "HEY! HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU TWO?" :)

Morrigoon
04-08-2002, 04:46 PM
You know what really bugs me, are those parents who take their kids enjoyment (of, say, a light chaser) over common courtesy and the ability for 15 other people to enjoy an attraction. Have you ever encountered a parent, who, when you ask them politely to do whatever (turn off a chaser, stop talking, etc) they get all huffy about it.

Common courtesy is lost on this generation. I blame the 60's

HBTiggerFan
04-08-2002, 05:59 PM
I am all about saying things to people taking flash pictures on PoC. I have been thanked many times. These are an example of what I say, all loudly:

OWW
Thank you for blinding us with your flash
Thanks for following the directions of NO flash photography.
There is no flash photography on the ride.
Thank you for being rude and blinding the rest of us.

As for couples sucking face:

Get a room
Man I can't believe how people think its appropriate to be all over each other in front of small children.
Get a room..theres cheap hotels on Harbor (thinking of printing up a list of all the cheap rooms and handing it to the people)
Newest idea....send the twins (friends sisters) over to them and have them ask "Is this how babies are made??"

I am not talking about a peck, hand holding or other non-doing everyhting but....., I am talking about playing suckface/grab a@@.

DisneylandKid
04-08-2002, 06:15 PM
On Monday, I was with some friends of mine who (evidently) don't *respect* Disneyland and the happiness of other guests as much as I do. The whole time a few of them were chit-chattering. They weren't saying anything bad, just catching up. But while on Pirates! I asked them to be quiet, but I kept getting "In a minute, in a minute." What am I to do as a friend who wants them to, well, shut up?

Morrigoon
04-08-2002, 06:15 PM
I like the idea of printing up a list of all the cheap motels on Harbor.. you could probably pull them up on orbitz or something and just print the page...

Yeah, tonsil hockey is not appropriate in public spaces. If the couple had at least made some attempt to shield themselves, it would be a different thing (for example, there's a lovely little spot in Fowler's Harbor, behind the Columbia when it's in the dry-dock - guests would have to go out of their way to pass you there.) But in spots where everyone's walking by, or trapped on a boat with you, etc.... gross.

USofA
04-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Gotta say that i find these threads so ironic. While debating the lack of manners and courtesy, I hear all kinds of rude reactions. Just remember that different people enjoy the disneyland experience differently. And it is just as rude to make them stop enjoying their experience so you can enjoy yours.

rude plus rude equals twice the rude
rude + rude = 2(rude)

Morrigoon
04-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Teaching 4-year olds sex ed by example is not my idea of a legitimate form of "enjoying Disneyland"

Besides which, stunning people to silence by embarrassing them is far more polite to those around you both than continually politely shushing them. I've had many occasions in movie theaters where I tried to silence people behind me merely by turning around and looking at them - many people will start talking again not 30 seconds later.

MouseWife
04-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Or not stop at all.

I agree- what they are doing is rude.

I hate to have to be security or the one to teach them
something that their parents never did.

There are rules and there is a time and place for everything.

What about if you were sitting in church and a couple is sitting next to each other, rubbing all over each other, snuggling up to each other. Inappropriate, right? Same thing to me. People need to have self control and respect for those around them.

If the people are so hot for each other, they should leave or get a room. Seriously. Sounds like they might have some exhibition problems.

MonorailMan
04-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
Oh I dunno.. I had my cell ring once on the big hill on Screamin'

I could see the conversaction(sp?) on that one.

"What You Doing?"
"Nothing Much, On A Roller Coaster".

Hillarious. :)

Uncle Dick
04-08-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
cell phones, psh. Have you ever been on a ride, sitting behind someone with a LIGHT CHASER? I didn't think so... well, you probably have.
I'll tell you what's worse than Light Chasers... It's those headband thingys with those two pink mouse heads on top that flash at random intervals.

I was stuck behind a couple of them on the Disneyland Railroad at night and it really ruined the whole experience, especially through the Grand Canyon Diorama.

blusilva
04-09-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
On Monday, I was with some friends of mine who (evidently) don't *respect* Disneyland and the happiness of other guests as much as I do. The whole time a few of them were chit-chattering. They weren't saying anything bad, just catching up. But while on Pirates! I asked them to be quiet, but I kept getting "In a minute, in a minute." What am I to do as a friend who wants them to, well, shut up?

"The people in this boat from Iowa who have never seen this ride before and have paid to enjoy this MINUTE would be thrilled if you could STOP TALKING UNTIL ITS OVER".

Once they were outside, I'd give them a good talking to. Something along the lines of "I'm outta here unless you can shut up during the rides. Why the f*** else are we here? If you wanted to catch up, you could have done that on the phone at home!"

If my "friends" are more into their personal pleasure than being polite in a public place, then I don't want them as friends.

YMMV.

MonorailMan
04-09-2002, 02:44 AM
Orignally Said By Walt Disney
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."