PDA

View Full Version : Bad Club 33 Experience

Pages : [1] 2

IndianaJenn
04-07-2002, 02:06 PM
About five years ago, I went to Club 33 and had an absolute ball - great food and fantastic service. It was great!

I have been waiting five years to go again and finally went last night. It was so disappointing I wanted to cry! I've had better service at IHOP, the food was cold in some cases, undercooked in others.

I took my parents last night, who have wanted to go to 33 for a very long time, and there underwhelmed to say the least.

Anyone with a Club 33 membership or inside information ... has this become the norm at 33? It certainly wasn't what I remember.

AVP
04-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Jenn,

Tony and I went to dinner at C33 with some friends, and were equally unimpressed with both the food and the service. SOOOOO much different than what we have experienced in the past. Tony says he'd much rather spend the money at Napa Rose. (Maybe they should sell memberships there!)

I was actually just talking about this exact topic this morning with a C33 member. She said that, while she wasn't quite to the point of giving up her membership, she had written a lengthy letter to the management about her recent observations.
I'm sure that will be more effective than a regular guest comment - those are the people shelling out the big bucks!

AVP

lilblckrncloud
04-07-2002, 03:58 PM
I was still a lurker back when I went in January, so I hesitated for my first post to be about my bad experience. However, since the topic has been broached, I will definitely chime in!

My company has a membership, so I was taken to Club 33 with a group of about a dozen. I am a huge Disneyland fan, so this was such a thrill for me. I ended up very disappointed with the service as well as the food. Although we were a large group, we were quiet and well mannered, but the servers acted like we were annoying them every time we asked for something. One woman literally rolled her eyes at me when I asked for a fruit punch! I will be the first to admit that I do not frequent high class restaurants on a regular basis, so I figured maybe the snooty attitude was just part of the atmosphere, but then I remembered reading about how excellent the service usually is there. Every review of the place I have ever read mentioned the fact that the water glasses were never empty; however, it was like pulling teeth for us to get any kind of drink refills! The response from our servers was always a bothered, "Yes, of course" when we needed something, but as far as I am concerned we should not have had to ask at all.

The food left much to be desired. We were there for lunch, so we had the buffet, and both times I went back to get more food there were empty platters and harried servers. I had been told that the food was exquisite, but I think the aforementioned fruit punch was the only thing that was above average.

Whew. There. I am glad I got that off my chest. I am so glad I am not the only one noticed the poor service recently. I was starting to think I was being overly picky, but apparently this has been going on for awhile. I am very happy I was able to go because it really is a piece of Disney history, and I may never get a chance to go again, but at the same time I feel like the mysterious and exciting place that Club 33 had been in my mind has now been destroyed. I know that sounds a little melodramatic, but if I am this upset 3 months later then you know it had to be bad.

tikiboy
04-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by IndianaJenn
About five years ago, I went to Club 33 and had an absolute ball - great food and fantastic service. It was great!

Oh good! That's when I worked there!

I didn't form any lasting relationships with the people I worked with there, so I haven't heard what it's been like since I left(mid '98). I know that they recieved new management about a year ago, but aside from that, nothing.

I know when I was there, the people worked very hard to make sure that the guest's experience matched what they had read about.

It's sad to hear that the place has gone downhill. :crying:

Ozymandius
04-08-2002, 12:14 PM
I've been a member for about two years now and had been a few times before that. I will admit that the service and quality of the food has gone down. The buffets are still my favorite choice of meals to eat there.

I was ready to chalk up the lowering standard to familiarity with the club, but a few times the service was subpar for price of the meal and membership.

While I may be contributing to this decline, it may be said that are more members now than ever and the club is not as secretive as it once was.

I still remember my first time to the club was exquisite. I still cherish that memory, even after many repeat visits...

In closing, I guess I really don't know what to say...
:)

Ozy

IndianaJenn
04-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone, for your imput. I was wondering if I had built it up in my head over the past few years, but I don't think I did! I travel quite a lot with my job and go to "fancy" restaurants all the time, so I was thinking my vision might be skewed, but when you pay that much for a meal, you expect it to be perfect! :)

lisap
04-08-2002, 01:03 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. I've been a few times, both for dinner and the brunch buffet, and I've always had excellent service, the food was wonderful and the ambiance couldn't have been better (last time I went was about 9 months ago)

There are a couple ways one can look at dining at Club 33. One is--50.00 is a heck of a lot for a buffet--no matter how great the food and service is!. For that kind of money they should let you take the silverware home with you, never mind keep your ice tea filled. So I can understand people's dissapointment when expectations are not met. Maybe it does have something to do with becoming a bit jaded about the Club, and looking for things to pick at. I'm not saying the previous posts have done that--If they say they have had bad experiences, I believe them.

On the other hand, it IS a very cool place. Though it seems they are expanding memberships and more and more people are getting to go (I mean, even I have been!) I think most Disney fans would jump at the chance to experience it for themselves.

In conclusion...I don't know how I feel about it. :) But I do know that when I get a call asking me if I want to go--I always say heck yeah.

Lani
04-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by lisap
There are a couple ways one can look at dining at Club 33. One is--50.00 is a heck of a lot for a buffet--no matter how great the food and service is.For $50, I would expect the following:

- Serving trays NEVER out of food. Trays replaced when they START getting empty, so no "leftover" look. All food hot/chilled appropriately in serving tray.
- Water glasses NEVER empty at the table

If it's a buffet I expect the servers to be totally in the background and making sure our table needs are met (water glasses, etc.) without asking, "How are you doing?"

The best buffet I have ever experienced has to be the Bellagio in Vegas. For half the price of a Club 33 buffet, they lay out the most decadent, sumptuous food in town. Gulf shrimp, smoked salmon, pizzas like the kind you get a California Pizza Kitchen, carving station (prime rib, turkey, etc.), and the desserts -- ohmigawd... the cheesecake slices alone are each worth $5.00, and they have humongous tables full of this stuff.

Compared to that, the food we had at Club 33 was mediocre at best. Sorry to say, but for that kind of money we are far used to better fare.

Service wasn't bad though, that I can recall.

Ace
04-08-2002, 06:06 PM
The MGM Grand one is pretty good for breakfast.

Morrigoon
04-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Lani: no argument there! (about Bellagio)

lisap
04-08-2002, 06:26 PM
I don't think it's fair to compare Las Vegas' buffets with anyplace else....they are the undisputed kings of it.

IndianaJenn
04-08-2002, 08:10 PM
The Rio buffet does it for me ... if you can handle the Space Mountain-like line!

Ace
04-08-2002, 08:33 PM
yeah, the RIO one is pretty cool. I like NYNY and Mandalay... they're the coolest. Although the roller coaster costs like $30 now.... I saw the Blue Man Group last time I was there, and it's crazy...

mad4mky
04-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by lisap
I have mixed feelings about this. I've been a few times, both for dinner and the brunch buffet, and I've always had excellent service, the food was wonderful and the ambiance couldn't have been better (last time I went was about 9 months ago)

In conclusion...I don't know how I feel about it. :) But I do know that when I get a call asking me if I want to go--I always say heck yeah.

How did you get invited? I want to come next time you get invited. Can you ask them if you can bring a friend? I'll fly down so I can go....

I don't know anyone who belongs to Club 33 personally. We are on the waiting list...but by the time that comes through, we might be quite broke paying for #1 kid's college expenses...:rolleyes:

MammaSilva
04-09-2002, 10:16 AM
I've been reading the comments and have to say that for me at least just the fact that I got the opportunity to even be IN the club would be so beyond awesome, never having been there are no 'well it USED to be betters' in my life, I think that since the web and so many Disney sites the Club is more "talked about/known" than back in the day when it was almost like a secret handshake situation, but that doesn't diminish the wonder of it for those of us who are 'common folk' .........

mad4mky
04-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
I've been reading the comments and have to say that for me at least just the fact that I got the opportunity to even be IN the club would be so beyond awesome, never having been there are no 'well it USED to be betters' in my life, I think that since the web and so many Disney sites the Club is more "talked about/known" than back in the day when it was almost like a secret handshake situation, but that doesn't diminish the wonder of it for those of us who are 'common folk' .........

I agree whole heartedly with you here Mammasilva...

lisap
04-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Speaking from a "common folk" perspective, I totally see where you are coming from Mamasilva. I'm not even NEAR being in the "club" I have had the good fortune of getting invitations from second and third parties--I'm just the tag along. I have never had control of the guest list, nor ever will. I've just been so slobberingly grateful to be in the joint I never take time to notice the flaws. ;) I know it's the thing to say it's been watered down with less exclusive memberships, but it's been a super-de-duper thing for me, being so unexclusive myself.

innerSpaceman
04-09-2002, 12:11 PM
I am very distressed to hear about the deteriorating quality of Club 33. The place used to be a bastion of fine dining and excellent service. Having noticed that the quality of food and service declined somewhat for dinner over the years, we switched to the brunch buffet, which has always been excellent even up until the last time I went about a year ago.

The bloom is certainly off the rose for me about the atmosphere and the thrill of being there, and it's been a long time since my member friends have arranged for our party to be wined and dined complimentarily, so I have less and less of a desire to visit. Still, I was fond of taking Disney-loving friends when the opportunity arose, and now it seems that, like everything else in the Park, it's just not what I fell in love with and became fanatical about oh-those-many-years-ago.

Time stands still for no man, they say. But it's depressing to see such pillars of excellence as Disneyland and Club 33 go so sadly astray.

lilblckrncloud
04-09-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
I think that since the web and so many Disney sites the Club is more "talked about/known" than back in the day when it was almost like a secret handshake situation, but that doesn't diminish the wonder of it for those of us who are 'common folk' .........

I do feel extremely lucky to have been invited to go there, and I would not trade the experience for anything. However, I think this is a situation where the reality did not live up to the mystical hype. It is still quite an incredible honor to be able to say I went there even if it wasn't all I had hoped it would be. From what the organizer of my group (a former Disneyland CM who has been to Club 33 numerous times) told me, she was sorely disappointed because it was the worst experience she had ever had there. She didn't think it was too much to expect the level of service to remain superb, and I agree with her!

It's not as tho I am some jaded critic who was nitpicking everything apart. I wish you could have seen me while I was there with my eyes as wide as saucers soaking in every single detail around me, totally grateful for my chance. I just wish I could have seen things the way I know they have been in the past.

mad4mky
04-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Well, either way...going down hill or not. I'd still like to experience it...at least once in my little lifetime. So...mammasilva and I are up for an invitation....anyone?

adriennek
04-09-2002, 03:38 PM
I've been twice now. Once for brunch, once for dinner. Now, I want to first say that my opinions of the restaurant in no way reflect my opinions of my host/hostess or my dining companions, lol.

I think brunch was a better value of the two. (Now, consider this-- my brunch experience was almost 4 years ago and I haven't been to brunch there since.)

The dinner was fine. The service was ok. The food was ok. But the price we paid for the experience was not worth the experience we had. Our group was large-- 10 people, and we were seated at a long rectangular table which was horrible for conversation, despite the fact that there was another circular table in the room that was vacant. That was a service issue, IMO.

The food and drinks were just not worth the price. We live on one income and budget carefully. If I'm going to get a sitter and have a dinner out, I'll go to Napa Rose instead, where my experience and those of my friends have been consistently better. (Hey, wasn't DocKrock supposed to make arrangements for us to go back there for dinner a few threads ago?)

To those of you who haven't been, patience is a virtue :) I never asked anyone to invite me. Both times I went because someone else made plans and invited me. It was a nice surprise both times.

Personally, based on my experiences, it's fun to say you've been, but that's the biggest draw at this time. If I were to go again, I'd probably choose brunch over dinner. At the time of my dinner last fall, I was very unhappy that we'd spent as much money as we did. Today my memory focuses more on our companions than the bill, the food, or the table. In some ways, that's good, but in others, hey, there are many good restaurants in the area for that.

Adrienne K
Note to self: call those people for a meet at Black Sheep Bistro...

HBTiggerFan
04-09-2002, 03:43 PM
I have never been, I would die of happiness if I ever got to go. I told my bf about it last weekend, showed him the door, and hes like "we gotta get a membership there". After I told him the prices he now "has to have one when hes old and rich" LOLOL

Traci
04-09-2002, 03:51 PM
Golly. After reading this thread, I don't know what to think about my up and coming trip I will be making to Club33 on May 25th.

I have been invited there by a friend (whom I met off of a site just like this one) and she has told me the food isn't that great, but I just thought that was because she's a picky eater.

Don't get me wrong, I am still MAJORLY excited to go, just to say I have been there once. Now, If I could just finsih out the rest of my life's goals and get to DLP and Euro Disney and Tokyo Disney! :lol:

lilblckrncloud
04-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Traci
After reading this thread, I don't know what to think about my up and coming trip I will be making to Club33 on May 25th.
Please don't let our comments negatively color your experience. Approach it with an open mind and just treasure the opportunity that you have been given. Don't go in expecting the worst or you will definitely find it. Have a ball and keep it in perspective: a bad day at Club 33 is still a day at Club 33! :D

cstephens
04-09-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
Adrienne K
Note to self: call those people for a meet at Black Sheep Bistro...

And the new patio's done now too. Looks great on the website. Good excuse to go back (as if I need one). I've only been there once - had the Grand Aioli. First time I had lamb. Enjoyed dinner much.

/cs