PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' preshow question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Traceyam
02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Okay, this is probably really dumb, but it's been bugging the heck out of me, enough for me to delurk and ask. What is so funny about Patrick Warburton in the preshow?! Whenever I'm there a couple of people always guffaw two times, once when he intially comes on and then once again when he gives the thumbs up to the little boy and says "Nice work, pal," (or whatever it is he says). It's kinda silly but that doesn't merit the guffawing. I looked up Warburton in IMDb - they have a listing for Soarin', which is cool - but if there's an injoke, I couldn't figure it out. What am I missing?

DangerMouse
02-19-2006, 12:23 PM
People also laugh when he tells the bald guy to store his Mickey ears. :D

Wesley815
02-19-2006, 12:24 PM
He has be on Seinfeld as Elaine's boyfriend, and has a "straight face" type attitude. It's the same how he sounds/acts when he says "Nice work pal", or when he tells the dad to put away his mouse ears. I have no idea why people laugh so much... it wasn't funny the first time I saw the pre-show. I guess it doesn't take much to entertain people.

davnat
02-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Have you ever seen Seinfeld?

Traceyam
02-19-2006, 12:27 PM
People also laugh when he tells the bald guy to store his Mickey ears.

Well, that part is funny, poor fellow looks so sad to have to part with his beloved ears, lol.

I was never into Seinfeld, maybe that's what I didn't get.

MammaSilva
02-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Another aspect is the fact that he's the voice of Kronk in the Emperors movie and kids recognize his voice.

Tinkermommy
02-19-2006, 12:48 PM
poor fellow looks so sad to have to part with his beloved ears, lol.

I think what makes that part so funny is that the guy has a bald spot that the ears have been hiding. I think that's why he has the look he does when he has to take them off.

What I find so funny is his seriousness. To me, it feels like a parody. He reminds me of Rod Serling.

Burnt Toast
02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Same reason why I don't think House or Smallville or Laguna Beach or whatever is all that great when there are people who think they are the greatest shows ever produced. Entertainment is viewed different by different people.

What I find funny or great doesn't necessarily mean that others see it the exact same way.

darph nader
02-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Another aspect is the fact that he's the voice of Kronk in the Emperors movie and kids recognize his voice.
Didn't he also do the voice/or play the Flea?:confused:

Traceyam
02-19-2006, 01:06 PM
The Seinfeld tip was a good one - I just read through the script for the first ep he appeared in, and now the guffawing makes a little more sense.

davnat
02-19-2006, 01:13 PM
One other thing I thought of was he is also the voice of Buzz Lightyear on the TV show, do we here his voice on the buzz lightyear ride?

Vegitabeta
02-19-2006, 01:42 PM
One other thing I thought of was he is also the voice of Buzz Lightyear on the TV show, do we here his voice on the buzz lightyear ride?
I don't know but if it is then he sounds a lot like Tim Allen.

nvmom
02-19-2006, 01:54 PM
So I have no memory at all of a Soarin' pre-show. I think I was much to busy being scared to death. Perhaps I'll catch it this trip. :)

nvmom

stan4d_steph
02-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Didn't he also do the voice/or play the Flea?:confused:The Tick.

emmah
02-19-2006, 02:50 PM
humour is an individual thing I guess; personally, I find him hilEARious and chortle away whenever I watch the film. I love that deadpan parody routine.:D

Another Dimension
02-19-2006, 03:53 PM
In addition to what has been said above, Patrick also 'winks' at the Guests when he says he wants to tell you about the 'important safety instructions', like he's giving the impression that they aren't really imporant instructions and/or that he doesn't really care if you follow them.
That's a bit off... really.

Also.. some of the other Guests behind him in other seats are dressed like 'pilots/aviators' in full military flight gear.. that's kinda humorous.

Opus1guy
02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Squeak. Squeak, squeak. Squeaker, squeak. Squeak.

:)

davnat
02-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't know but if it is then he sounds a lot like Tim Allen.
Maybe they use Tim Allen for the ride since he did the voice for the movie. patrick Waburton just does the voice on the Buzz Lightyear show that comes on the disney channel during the day.

darph nader
02-19-2006, 07:12 PM
The Tick.

thank you.:cool:

crrees
02-19-2006, 07:44 PM
I think its mostly his popularity from Seinfeld. He is in numerous episodes and has the same manuerisms in the show and in the preshow. Everytime i am there i hear people saying "putty..." because David Putty was the character in Seinfeld. VERY funny show, i recommend everyone should see it at least a few episodes..sooner or later you will be talking with friends and the show will come up and youll finally have something to say about it

tod
02-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Warburton's been doing the same deadpan not-too-bright doesn't-get-it character for years, most conspicuously on Seinfeld, the mecca for I'm-smarter-than-you types.

When these people see him on the screen, they laugh as a reflex, rather than because something funny has happened. (They've been trained by years of watching Seinfeld, which isn't funny either*, but they laugh at it anyway because if they don't, their friends will laugh at them because they "don't get it.")

Don't feel bad for not laughing at the pre-show. It's not funny. Unless you like mocking children or bald guys. Or you automatically laugh at anything associated with Seinfeld, in which case a box of Junior Mints will keep you convulsed for hours.

--t

*At best it's a weak chuckle, and it was rarely at its best.

tinksmommy
02-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Squeak. Squeak, squeak. Squeaker, squeak. Squeak.

That is why I laugh. And why a lot of people around me were laughing. Someone actually said it outloud "I see his lips moving, but all I hear is Squeak squeak squeakin sqeak."

potzbie
02-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Or you automatically laugh at anything associated with Seinfeld, in which case a box of Junior Mints will keep you convulsed for hours.

I remember that one.
Kramer dropped a Junior Mint from the observers box in an operating room where it landed in the patient.
If golf balls make you laugh, then when SOARIN's golf ball comes at you, imagine it is Kramer hitting it into the ocean, plugging up whale blow-holes.

Another Dimension
02-20-2006, 06:39 AM
*At best it's a weak chuckle, and it was rarely at its best.

Thanks for telling everyone what they think is, and isn't funny...

Tinkermommy
02-20-2006, 07:32 AM
When these people see him on the screen, they laugh as a reflex, rather than because something funny has happened. (They've been trained by years of watching Seinfeld,

I disagree. I think it's funny, and I've never seen a single episode of Seinfeld. I laugh at the scene with the balding guy and his ears, not because I laugh at bald people (sheesh, what a suggestion) but because his reaction is SUPPOSED to be humorous. And it works.