PDA

View Full Version : Am I understanding the parade route correctly?

nvmom
02-19-2006, 07:51 AM
I went back and read a few parade threads. Please forgive me, I'm a little direction challenged. :rolleyes:

The parade will go up mainstreet (I'm picturing this like I'm standing on mainstreet looking towards the castle) and then curve around the right hand side of the circle and end over towards IASM. Yes? And the parade has stops... so is it better to be right on mainstreet or in the hub?

nvmom

geoffa
02-19-2006, 08:55 AM
I went back and read a few parade threads. Please forgive me, I'm a little direction challenged. :rolleyes:

The parade will go up mainstreet (I'm picturing this like I'm standing on mainstreet looking towards the castle) and then curve around the right hand side of the circle and end over towards IASM. Yes? And the parade has stops... so is it better to be right on mainstreet or in the hub?

nvmom

I've only seen a video of this but the parade enters through the double gates to the side of the exhibition hall which is opposite City Hall. It then runs counter clockwise around the square and then starts up Main Street - there are several floats starting with Tinkerbelle and Peter Pan aboard a golden railroad train - Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Lion King and the end float is the Princesses with their Princes, Chip n' Dale, Pluto, Donald, Goofy and of course Mickey and Minnie. As this last float enters Town Square the whole parade comes to a stop (I'd said approx every ten minutes intervals) and they perform a routine. So the next stop would be somewhere towards 2/3rds up Main Street and the next possibly as Mickey and Co reach the hub in front of the castle and so on. Personally I'd go for a spot in the Square or on Main Street but remember that you'll have to follow the crowds after the end of the parade (although you can save time by cutting through the shops. It's a great parade so do NOT miss it.:)

nvmom
02-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Ok, thank you. So perhaps we want a place towards the beginning of Main St. We'll actually be leaving after the parade to freshen up for our dinner at Goofy's kitchen at 5:10 p.m. Then we wouldn't have to follow the crowds. :)

nvmom

MammaSilva
02-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Keep in mind that if the parade shows twice that day then it will reverse itself. I'm not sure which time it will start from the Main Street corner or the other end of the route at Small world, but I'd say that if you know you need to leave right after the parade I'd watch it from Main Street so you can leave with the crowds as the parade exits the area, either down Main street (if it started at that end) or into the backstage area off of Main Street.

evrythngwmn
02-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Generally if there is only one parade that day it comes from IASW and ends at Main St. If there are two then the first parade starts at IASW and the second starts at Main St.

tod
02-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Generally if there is only one parade that day it comes from IASW and ends at Main St. If there are two then the first parade starts at IASW and the second starts at Main St.

If your brain begins to spin thinking of all the things you have to memorize, remember this:

You can always ask at City Hall, where they will be very grateful that you don't want free admission in perpetuity because some water splashed on you in Pirates and just want the answer to a question. And you'll be grateful for the answer. Instead of angry that you didn't get free admssion in perpetuity for a water spot that dried up on the walk from New Orleans Square.

--t

Opus1guy
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
You can always ask at City Hall, where they will be very grateful that you don't want free admission in perpetuity because some water splashed on you in Pirates and just want the answer to a question. And you'll be grateful for the answer. Instead of angry that you didn't get free admssion in perpetuity for a water spot that dried up on the walk from New Orleans Square.

I once purchased a vanilla ice cream cone on Main Street and found a small bit of some other flavor mixed in with it. Tramatized...I pushed hard for a Lifetime Silver Pass, but the smiling City Hall "plaid" just cheerfully brushed me off and suggested that I take my complaint directly to the Mayor of Main Street. So I tracked him down and gave him my complaint and he just looked at me like some nutcase from another planet. He claimed that he didn't even know what a Silver Pass was! He seemed to believe that Main Street was real and not part of some Theme Park! Can you imagine!? Last time I vote for him!

Now I ask you...just which one of us was the nutcase?

:)

Wesley815
02-19-2006, 12:29 PM
At least he's funny.

nvmom
02-19-2006, 01:59 PM
We're planning to catch the parade on a Fri when it will show once at 3:15 p.m. I'll keep all this good info in mind. Thanks!

nvmom

Darkbeer
02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
A 3:15 PM Parade starts at the gate to the east of "it's a small world", and then head up the parade route past the Matterhorn to the Central Plaza/Hub area, it makes a left and passes in front of the Tomorrowland entrance and then heads up Main Street, when it gets to the end of Main Street, it makes a right and passes in front of the Fire Station, City Hall, the Train Station, Bank of Main Street and the Opera House, it then makes another right to exit thru the gates near Mad Hatter.

Opus1guy
02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
At least he's funny.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

tod
02-19-2006, 08:36 PM
I once purchased a vanilla ice cream cone on Main Street

[irrelevant part excised]

You bought a vanilla ice cream cone? You're the nutcase.

Simple as that.;)

--t

hbquikcomjamesl
02-19-2006, 09:26 PM
1. Every parade in DL runs an even number of times, every day that it runs, unless it's just a marching band or two. If it has floats or other vehicles, it has to make an even number of runs in any given day. If it doesn't do so while DL is open, it will make a quiet, non-performance run after park closing. The reason for this is simple: the Town Square Parade Gate opens into a holding area. It doesn't run back to the barn. The only way to get a parade back to the barn from the holding area is to go back the way it came.

2. In DCA, WDW-MK, and presumably the other WDW parks with parade routes, both ends of the route have direct access to the barn, so their parades can run the same direction every time.

3. Tod, what the <where bad souls go> do you have against vanilla?

cstephens
02-19-2006, 11:15 PM
And the parade has stops... so is it better to be right on mainstreet or in the hub?

It depends on whether you have a preference for which float you want to be in front of. For the Main Street/Town Square stop, the floats extend the entire length of the street.

nvmom
02-20-2006, 07:39 AM
It depends on whether you have a preference for which float you want to be in front of. For the Main Street/Town Square stop, the floats extend the entire length of the street.

Well shoot, I don't know which float I want to be in front of? How many floats are there? Suggestions from those who've seen it?

nvmom

evrythngwmn
02-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Well shoot, I don't know which float I want to be in front of? How many floats are there? Suggestions from those who've seen it?

nvmom

I always like watching a parade with show stops from Town Square (where the flag pole is). When it stops you have a view of three or four floats depending which direction you look.

cstephens
02-21-2006, 11:47 AM

nvmom

Here's a write-up I did of the parade which includes the floats and their order and pictures. Warning that it contains full spoilers. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/dlr050505tr.html#pod)

My two favorite floats are the Lion King and Alice in Wonderland ones. When the parade is going from Small World to Town Square, being in front of the ice cream parlor is perfect for Lion King and being in front of the watch shop is perfect for Alice. A friend of mine loves Ariel, so for her float, you'd want to be by the front of the Emporium, I think. Not sure where the others stop.