PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Days

Pages : [1] 2

Lekta
02-19-2006, 07:40 AM
I am so sad looking at weather.com's 10-day forecast for the Anaheim area. My wife, 2 roomates, and myself are all driving down to DL next Saturday and we hail from rainy Portland, so the prospect of going to a vacation were all it does is rain, is disappointing to say the least. I have never been to DL when it rains and I have started to believe that it does not rain in the Magic Kingdom.

I could only find one website (accuweather.com) that didn't have it raining on both Monday (27th) and Tuesday (28th) which happen to be the first 2 days of our Disneyland experience. I very much hope that is the most accurate prediction and that it actually doesn't rain.

I believe that I will be able to remain positive and still keep smiling, however, my other travel mates might have a more difficult time. I certianly want to try to keep everyone positive because this is our one vacation of the year, as it is theirs. I do not want to let rain ruin our good time. I can already see some of their excitement waning, and that is the LAST thing we need! This is supposed to be the most memorable vacation we've ever had!!

Any of your fantastic padders have any suggestions? Good advise? Perhaps a keen sense with nature and know that the rain will not come? Know any anti-rain dances (promise I'll practice)? Own a weather site that you could somehow edit to show sunny and 75 for the whole next week? =)

Many thanks for your help!

nvmom
02-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, there's been a couple of threads recently stating which attractions close first in the rain. I believe Alice and the TeaCups? Of course Fantasmic! & the fireworks could be canceled. I guess bring your ponchos & maybe a warm fleece jacket, etc.

Mostly, I just want to offer my sympathy. While my dh thinks it might really fun if it rains... I understand the need & want for warm & sunny! :) Good luck... we'll be there Mar 2-5.

nvmom

Lekta
02-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Thank ye for the kind words =)

We will be at the resort 27-28, then March 2-6, with a brief trip to San Diego in between.

kohl
02-19-2006, 09:01 AM
We are leaving next Sunday for DL!
Keep checking the weather.com website. I check it all the time and most of the time it won't rain there, but it does rain.
One year when we went it poured for a few days. We were a little bummed at first, but not it is our most memorable trip! We all had on full rain gear from head to toe. The park cleared out and we felt like the park was open for just us! Since we had rain pants on we could go on any ride (even Grizzley River Run) and not get wet. If you don't want to lug all your rain gear with you "just in case" it rains, there is a Big 5 and a Target close by.

SeansMom
02-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Lekta, I SO understand where you're coming from! We're a bit north of you, but when we lived in Portland we spent one very wet Spring Break in DL and area. They were having some of the worst rain/storms they ever had. And guess what? We STILL had a blast! I know sunshine would be "ideal", but keep in mind that if it rains, there will be fewer people in the park, which translates to fewer lines. Only a handful of rides close, so it isn't like going to the Portland zoo in the rain, where 80% of the attractions are outside. I think POTC is like a 14 minute ride, or something like that, and at least part of the que is covered. We brought our rain gear with us (good shoes for rain, ponchos, and hats.) Then, when we did have some sunshine in the middle of it all, it was this really wonderful thing, like somebody had given us the best present ever! (Besides, you already have the webbed feet, so it's all good :) ).

ktrm
02-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Some threads had recommended buying inexpensive Ponchos at the 99 cents stores. I just bought some yesterday and they are very light and compact as compared to other ones I have seen. You can throw those in your daypack and barely know they are there. I am always looking for good ideas to lighten the load of things I have to bring. Interestingly enough most people recommend not bringing an umbrella because they are awkward to get on rides. Good idea!! one less thing I have to bring. From other threads, it kindof seems like Tomorrowland is a good place to head if it really starts to downpour. You have Innoventions(all inside), Honey I shrunk the audience(inside), Space Mountain(inside roller coaster), Buzz Lightyear(inside ride), Star Tours(inside ride)and the arcade. If the lines are long, then you might have to wait outside a bit to get on some of these things. Oh by the way, a friend of mine said that the Jungle Cruise is actually better in the rain. It gives the ride a whole different feel and atmosphere.

DangerMouse
02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Lekta, we'll be there the same time as you and sorry to rain on your parade, but I want at least a few sprinkles. Being from Phoenix and not having seen rain for over 120 days, my body needs some hydration and I am hoping those sprinkles will keep the locals at home.

Wave and say hi if you see a a lady carrying a red backpack and a cute blonde 6 year old boy with a birthday button!

MermaidHair
02-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Lekta, we will be ther from 3/1 - 3/3 and I too hope it does not rain. In fact, I checked out that Acuweather site you mentioned and it is my new favorite site as it is telling me what I want to hear! I have no advice for you but to have a good time no matter what the weather or your travelmates do and I will be praying to the sun gods right along with you!

Lekta
02-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I am starting to LOVE Acuweather.com! Doesn't even show a chance of showers for the whole time we are there!! I wonder how the 2 sites could be so drastically different? All I know is, I hope Acuweather is the more accurate of the two.

Also, on top of DL being a little dreary in the rain, the drive down would be awful if it was solid rain for 17 hours!! =)

TowerofTerror
02-19-2006, 04:55 PM
The best time to go. I love the corwds are very light when it rains. The shows get canceled like Fantasmic and the parade but they do a rainy day parade called mickeys rainy day Calvary.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-19-2006, 09:37 PM
mickeys rainy day Calvary. That sounds a bit grim, a parade named after the hill on which Jesus was crucified! :eek: Are you sure you have the name right?

Nothing wrong with going to DL on rainy days. Most of the best attractions are indoors anyway, and besides, as long as it's not too cold, rainy days are the best days to ride Splash Mountain and GRR: the lines are shorter, and you're dressed for the ride!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I am going to stop looking at weather.com then and start looking at accuweather. hehe

DangerMouse
02-20-2006, 06:10 AM
The best time to go. I love the corwds are very light when it rains. The shows get canceled like Fantasmic and the parade but they do a rainy day parade called mickeys rainy day Calvary.

Ummm, that would be Mickey's Rain Day Cavalcade

:D

darph nader
02-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Lekta, we'll be there the same time as you and sorry to rain on your parade, but I want at least a few sprinkles. Being from Phoenix and not having seen rain for over 120 days, my body needs some hydration and I am hoping those sprinkles will keep the locals at home.

Wave and say hi if you see a a lady carrying a red backpack and a cute blonde 6 year old boy with a birthday button!
Same here. We're from Tucson and personally i love the fog in the morning.I would love to see :cool: D/L in the rain.

darph nader
02-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Same here. We're from Tucson and personally i love the fog in the morning.I would love to see D/L in the rain.:cool:

Lekta
02-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Oh No! Even acuweather has turned a cold shoulder to me.. rain is forecasted!! BAH I say!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Oh No! Even acuweather has turned a cold shoulder to me.. rain is forecasted!! BAH I say!

Darn it! And I was coming here to post that weather.com was wrong for our Spokane weather today, it showed snow and we didn't even get so much as one flake! Just keep thinking that it is far off for them to predict weather for next week. That is what I am telling myself, while I am adding rain ponchos to my list of must buys for my trip.

JookyG
02-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Being from Seattle, I've learned to not let the rain slow me down, and I love the way the park clears out when it rains. But if it does start raining, jump into a shop and buy ponchos or umbrella immediately! There's nothing worse than being soggy wet and cold. It's worth every penny, and they're not that expensive besides. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Lekta
02-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Outstanding, weather.com is loosening their stance and it appears there will only be "showers" on tuesday. With some light rain on Wednesday!! YIPEEE

findin mickeys
02-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Since you are from the beautiful Pacific Northwest, do not worry about the rain. In fact some of the best days we have had at DLR is on days when it rained. One time it was just my family and on other on the tram from (Timon?) parking structure. The CM riding with us said "let me guess, you guys are from the Pacific Northwest" and both families just laughed and said "yes!". He said the only people who seem to come no matter what the weather are from our area.

I recommend the ponchos they sell at DLR or go to a sporting goods store and invest in a heavy duty one. My experience with the $.99 ones is that you get what you pay for.

Bring a second pair of shoes, then when you are at your hotel at night, put the "wet" shoes on the heater, they will be dry the next day and you can "rotate" your wet shoes so you always have a dry pair.

Teacups are the only attraction besides the fireworks and Fantasmic! that I recall was not operating when it rained.

Do not spend so much energy worrying that you will have a bad time, everything will be great, just be prepared for any kind of weather.

Have fun!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Since you are from the beautiful Pacific Northwest, do not worry about the rain. In fact some of the best days we have had at DLR is on days when it rained. One time it was just my family and on other on the tram from (Timon?) parking structure. The CM riding with us said "let me guess, you guys are from the Pacific Northwest" and both families just laughed and said "yes!". He said the only people who seem to come no matter what the weather are from our area.

I recommend the ponchos they sell at DLR or go to a sporting goods store and invest in a heavy duty one. My experience with the $.99 ones is that you get what you pay for.

Bring a second pair of shoes, then when you are at your hotel at night, put the "wet" shoes on the heater, they will be dry the next day and you can "rotate" your wet shoes so you always have a dry pair.

Teacups are the only attraction besides the fireworks and Fantasmic! that I recall was not operating when it rained.

Do not spend so much energy worrying that you will have a bad time, everything will be great, just be prepared for any kind of weather.

Have fun!

I know I won't have a bad time, I am not worried about that. I just would rather not have to think about it possibly raining, bringing an umbrella, a rain cover for my stroller, extra shoes, rain ponchos etc. I would rather is just be sunny the entire week.
Do they sell the ponchos at DLR for little guys? I bought myself a 99 cent one today, but they didn't have kids sizes. It is too late to order one online.
We will be there with smiles on our faces and gold ears on our heads, having the time of our lives, as we always do!

Lekta
02-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know the price of a DL Poncho? Also, does it say Disneyland on it or something? Trying to decide if we should buy some in town before we leave or pick one up at the resort. If it is marked up in typical Disney fashion, I think I should buy them prior to leaving.

findin mickeys
02-24-2006, 08:04 AM
The last time we were there when it rained and we bought the D-land ponchos they were like $8.00 each. They have a picture of Mickey on the back and are made of a heavy vinyl. They work much better than the $.99 saran wrap version IMHO.

There are both adult and kid sizes and I believe the kids ones were a dollar or two cheaper.

Lekta
02-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Thank you mucho!

Malcon10t
02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know the price of a DL Poncho? Also, does it say Disneyland on it or something? Trying to decide if we should buy some in town before we leave or pick one up at the resort. If it is marked up in typical Disney fashion, I think I should buy them prior to leaving.They are $8 and have Disneyland Resort on them. They are a medium thickness. The same ponchos can be found, without Disneyland Resort on them, at WalMart for $3. Since I had to by 6 (5 people, and the pup) I preferred to save the $30.