PDA

View Full Version : AP veterans... am I living in Fantasyland?

LibertyCall
02-18-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm getting my first AP and just booked two standard rooms at the
Grand Californian. They gave me the AP rate of 288/night. We usually book two rooms for six nights at the HJ, but I'm *hoping* that maybe, possibly, there is a decent chance that one of those special room only AP discounts will pop up sometime before our trip (June 19-June 25).

I have no idea of the likelyhood of this happening. If I could get 200 per night per room, that would be just swell. It's hopelss, isn't it?:|

Opus1guy
02-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't own an Annual Pass and never have, but based on my general experience with the travel industry...

I would recommend you call back every few days and check prices as if you were booking a new reservation (AP or regular rate). Then if you find a better deal or a new AP rate, just book that and then cancel your old reservation. Or convert your existing one if they will do that for you.

Good Luck!

LibertyCall
02-18-2006, 01:00 PM
They said that they will honor any future discounts that I find, I just have to call back. I'm just worried there won't be any! LOL

annieb727
02-18-2006, 01:22 PM
from what i understand, they really only do AP rates in slower times - which would not be June -- they generally have the AP rates in January/February/Sept/Oct and sometimes November.

an idea - make reservations at another hotel (that just requires a CC hold - NOT a deposit) - then if you don't get the rate you want, you can cancel the resort hotel and still have a hotel secured. if you do get the rate you want, then cancel the hotel reservations at the other hotel.

hope that helps!

Tinkermommy
02-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey, you can always hope (and keep checking). I tried to make reservations for two nights at the DLH for 5/5/05 nine or 10 months before the big event, and was told it was sold out. I reluctantly booked the Paradise Pier. Some friends decided in December to join us, and booked an off-site hotel.

The day before we were supposed to check in, on May 3, I called to reconfirm my reservation at the PP. A few minutes after I hung up, the CM I'd spoken with called back. She noticed on my reservation that I'd originally requested the DLH, and asked if I still wanted it. She had a room available. I jumped at the chance -- especially when I learned it would be CHEAPER than the PP reservation I had!

I told my friends, and they called immediately, but were only able to book one night at the DLH. The took it, and figured they'd switch to the other hotel after we left the park on 5/5/05. But when they got up on 5/5, there was a note under their door offering them a second night at a reduced rate -- something like $129. We couldn't believe our luck -- especially since the place was so crowded and was originally sold out.

So...as they say...if your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme. Keep checking!

Pirate Princess
02-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Historically have there ever been AP rates in May?

Pirate Princess
02-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Bump. Sorry.. I really want this answered. This would make my son's birthday this year (May) and I can't afford the normal prices. Should I give up the dream?

Mark099
02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Why not just be direct?

There are a lot of nice rooms around DL for less than $100/night and Disney understands that. Call reservations and ask for a $200/night rate. If they say no, then just stay at HJ's and use the $1200 you save on something else.

Personally, I would love to stay at the GC, but I am cheap and hate wasting money like that. We usually stay at The Fairfield Inn and have paid as little as $49/night.