PDA

View Full Version : Segway on display now?

Kuzcotopia
04-07-2002, 10:59 AM
Someone told me the Segway is a new addition to Innoventions (Disneyland) now.

Is it open now? What's it like? Is there a demonstration or just a non-working model?

Uncle Dick
04-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
Someone told me the Segway is a new addition to Innoventions (Disneyland) now.

Is it open now? What's it like? Is there a demonstration or just a non-working model?
I stopped by Innoventions today and didn't see anything Segway related. I'm still wondering where they'll put it. I'd guess that it'll be rolled into one of the five "zone" presentations at the beginning of the attraction (probably transportation) because there's not any construction going on inside the building that would suggest a larger exhibit, and I'm assuming they're going to want this up and running by summer.

I did notice that the two "Ultimate Ride" machines built into the purple coaster cars were gone.

Then I left.

Nigel2
04-11-2002, 10:29 PM
I am noticing some companies have purchased or rented the segway for promotion... anyone see Frasier?

Not Afraid
04-11-2002, 10:59 PM
The other day a CM has the Segway out near the splendor that was Cosmic Waves. He was riding it around and answering questions. Most people were just walking right on by. We almost missed it. As it was, it provided about 2 minutes of "entertainment". I just wanted to ride it, not watch someone else do it. (whaaaaaaa)

Techie7
04-11-2002, 11:00 PM
I was at Disneyland last week the day of the MP article or the day after and saw a CM riding it (I assume practicing) out of the door of innoventions then back inside. Innoventions was closed so it was just a short glimpse while they drove out of the building then back in.

Nigel2
04-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
As it was, it provided about 2 minutes of "entertainment". I just wanted to ride it, not watch someone else do it. (whaaaaaaa)

That acutally had to do with the plot of the episode, scooter envy.:D

It seems like a silly but practical concept... the machine doesn't want to fall down.:D

Mouse
04-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I just wanted to ride it, not watch someone else do it.
(whaaaaaaa)

Same here! Ever since the article on MP came out I've been thinking how cool having one of these would be on campus. The perfect people mover.

Uncle Dick
04-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Mouse

Same here! Ever since the article on MP came out I've been thinking how cool having one of these would be on campus. The perfect people mover.
Start saving your spare change! You can have one for the low, low price of $3000 later on this year. :)

Of course, once the Segway exhibit finally opens in Innoventions, it will have already been on the market for several months... <sigh>

MonorailMan
04-12-2002, 06:29 PM
They are showing the segway, but it's an awful demo (A ramp with two little bumps). Just go into the Transportation zone. :)

Uncle Dick
04-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
They are showing the segway, but it's an awful demo (A ramp with two little bumps). Just go into the Transportation zone. :)
Hmmmmm... I looked around the whole ring and I didn't see anything. They must not leave it out in between showtimes. If it's nothing interesting, I won't bother to visit Innoventions again and try to see it.

Ace
04-12-2002, 09:03 PM
I want one... now.

Not Afraid
04-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
I want one... now.

Yes, Veruca. Or should we call you Miss. Salt?

Nigel2
04-12-2002, 09:41 PM
Can I pull the trapdoor lever?:D

Oh and I wonder if DL owns the segways or rents them... also what about the ones that were 100k a piece on Ebay?

Kuzcotopia
04-14-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Can I pull the trapdoor lever?:D

Oh and I wonder if DL owns the segways or rents them.

As if ANY technology in Innoventions hasn't paid a hefty sum to have it shown in Disneyland.

Disneyland is paid to push the Segways.

But not that it's all greed here. Epcot does host Dean Kamen's pet project, FIRST.

http://www.usfirst.org/

cstephens
04-14-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I am noticing some companies have purchased or rented the segway for promotion... anyone see Frasier?

We just got around to watching our tape of the show last night. They sure must have paid serious bucks to be included so prominently in that show. But it was very funny to watch Niles and Daphne chase each other around at the end of the show.

The whole "have to stand up straight the whole time" still concerns me though.

/cs

MonorailMan
04-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

I does me too, I have 1 leg about 2cm longer than the other, and after walking for over 2hrs, I have to rest.

Kuzcotopia
04-14-2002, 10:00 PM
No Segways in site on Sunday, booo.

There was one in the Transportation Zone, no rider though.

Here's a great link to someone's test ride of a Segway. Not what you'd expect from just looking at it.

http://www.bricklin.com/segwayride1.htm

It seems pretty awesome and more versatile than a scooter or a bicycle. Safer than all the above too.

The really cool image is when he describes our military testing the combat-grade segways....

Imagine fully-geared troops deploying at speeds faster than you can run. Offroad, in the dark.

You can start to see the uses for such things.

He also says they can run IMMERSED in water. There are videos online of them being operated in the snow.

Very cool.

Nigel2
04-15-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

We just got around to watching our tape of the show last night. They sure must have paid serious bucks to be included so prominently in that show. But it was very funny to watch Niles and Daphne chase each other around at the end of the show.

/cs
It seemed like an ad for the segway (they did it with the X-box, especailly on Will and Grace), but it was still funny.

Well it isn't supposed to be a long range travel device, it is basically like a scooter with special features and also he probably didn't think everyone in America will be using one so he didn't design it to fit everyone's needs.

Ace
04-16-2002, 12:57 PM
well, it's easier than walking since you're NOT walking. you're standing and shifting weight...

Uncle Dick
05-13-2002, 01:31 AM
SzczerbiakManiac and I saw a CM riding the Segway today in front of HISTA and proceeded to quiz him a little bit about it's role at Disneyland. Apparently, two Segways were given to Disneyland as demonstration models (one is on permanent display in Innoventions and one is for, um, "meet 'n' greet" out around Tomorrowland). The CM guy didn't seem to think that DL would be getting the whole Segway thing going on backstage anytime soon, and I wouldn't be surprised considering that Disney just bought a grip of GEMs.

(For an interesting article on the GEM, check out this link (http://www.edmunds.com/news/innovations/articles/48362/article.html). My favorite quote from the article has to be "…the GEM is already being used in small applications, such as a 10-vehicle fleet in Anaheim, Calif." Hmmmmm.... I wonder who that fleet could belong to? ;) )