PDA

View Full Version : ROCKit Mountain a ploy?

Pages : [1] 2

Sub Maniak
02-16-2006, 12:18 PM
It seems that the idea for Rockit Mountain is to make it seem like there are more "rides" than there already are!

List:
Star Tours
SM
Buzz Lightyear
Autopia
(Innoventions and HISTA aren't rides)

Burnt Toast
02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Actually, I think it's a great idea. Brings new energy to an attraction that you might have already been on earlier that day. If it's a ploy, who cares.

Opus1guy
02-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Basically, Rockit Mountain is what they run day and night at Hong Kong Disneyland's Space Mountain. I've ridden it and it's got some nice effects. No real big deal, but nice pluses.

Wish they'd go ahead and flip the switch at Anaheim's Disneyland.

Phantom2006
02-16-2006, 01:13 PM
So whats really is Rockit Mountain? Its just going to be at night? What kinda effects?

Another Dimension
02-16-2006, 01:44 PM
The theme park (Disneyland, a business) is trying to further plus it's rides, further hype it's 50th Anniversary, to bring back return Guests and to attract new Guests.

A ploy?

Disneyland is giving us seemingly another attraction (the same way HMH is another attraction) and calling it a ploy makes it seem seedy, dishonest and deceitful.

From this Dimensions POV... that's pretty weak.

It's a theme park, a theme park ride and a FUN place, .... and peeps should really should stop taking this stuff so seriously and personally.

If it's fun to you... Enjoy it!

If it's not fun to you. Don't.

Cut and dry. Plain and Simple. Praise "Bob".

jonvn
02-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes, it's a ploy. An evil ploy designed to take over the world, and place all non-followers into camps in the desert.

Better be careful, or you'll never get out...alive.

Another Dimension
02-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Yes, it's a ploy. An evil ploy designed to take over the world, and place all non-followers into camps in the desert.

Better be careful, or you'll never get out...alive.

Oooooooooh! Then I'm all in, baby!!!

BTW... Welcome to MP! ;)

olegc
02-16-2006, 02:18 PM
It seems that the idea for Rockit Mountain is to make it seem like there are more "rides" than there already are!

List:
Star Tours
SM
Buzz Lightyear
Autopia
(Innoventions and HISTA aren't rides)

OK - flame me now - but none of your items on your list are rides - they are attractions. There is only one ride at the DLR - according to Disney.

And in any of the pre-release behind the scenes discussions there has never been a mention of it being an second ride - only that it's a different experience so people will come back - either on same day or different day. It's a regular "new and improved" marketing technique - but interesting here is that the "classic" gets put back during the day.

animalx
02-16-2006, 02:28 PM
I heard one of the new add-ons will be a secret track that zips you underground and past CLUB 33. So you get a sneak peek at what people are really eating in there.:)

olegc
02-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I heard one of the new add-ons will be a secret track that zips you underground and past CLUB 33. So you get a sneak peek at what people are really eating in there.:)

yes - but you go through a tunnel first where all of the old versions of POTC go whizzing past you in a "speed tunnel"...;)

Bolivar
02-16-2006, 02:38 PM
I heard that rumor a bit differently. I heard there was a secret track that zips you underground to the Club 33 kitchen where instead of a sneak peek at what people are eating in there, you are cooked and ARE what people are eating in there.

Is Charlton Heston a member? Will uncover the truth and say, "Club 33 is PEOPLE".

Osky
02-16-2006, 02:40 PM
What I am really interested in is how the switch-over will take place. Will they just throw the switch at a certain time, and voila, rockit mountain? Or will they actually send a bunch of empty cars through so no one gets a half-and-half experience? I can't imagine they would go through a whole stop where they take the cars out and then have to put them back on. What do they tell people in the standby queue? Do they tell them that it will probably be rockit mountain by the time they make it through the line. Do they tell them nothing?

cstephens
02-16-2006, 02:58 PM
I heard that rumor a bit differently. I heard there was a secret track that zips you underground to the Club 33 kitchen

I'm thinking "underground to the Club 33 kitchen" would be a problem...

Bolivar
02-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Well to the regular kitchen maybe, but not the secret underground kitchen cooking up unruely guests.

potzbie
02-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Well to the regular kitchen maybe, but not the secret underground kitchen cooking up unruely guests.

Oh!
We got to start a thread on this!

• Club 33 -- its luncheon menu features soylent green.
• It's A Small World -- Arrogant Annual Passholders are captured, zombie-ized, shrunk, and have their feet stapled to the floor in the final hall of IASW, on the shelf where Austria-Hungary is featured.
• Jungle Cruise -- Sam the Head Tradesman REALLY IS having a two-for-one sale.
* Haunted Mansion -- Fate magazine, along with the National Inquirer, confirm that there are ectoplasmic phantasms eminating from the graveyard tombstones.

"Jack Skellington, please answer your pager!"

Opus1guy
02-16-2006, 08:19 PM

Oh Thanks. Just go telling everyone!

:)

RemainSeatedPlease
02-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Is Charlton Heston a member? Will uncover the truth and say, "Club 33 is PEOPLE".

It could be!! Bummmm bumm bummmmmmmmm:eek: :eek:

nightdesigns
02-17-2006, 06:29 AM
ROCKit mountin is when they switch over to the piece of track with the loop in it!

All kidding aside, I think it's a great idea. It gives people a reason to ride the ride again, brings people back into the park which earns them money.

It's the same reason they're going to do the multiple drop sequences on TOT, it keeps people coming back again, and again, and again ...

Look at haunted mansion holiday and it's a small world holiday. People come just to see those rides and they're extrememly popular.

annieb727
02-17-2006, 08:23 AM
ROCKit mountin is when they switch over to the piece of track with the loop in it!

OMG! That would be SO SO SO COOL!! When would they start doing this?? I am ready to plan a trip back so I can be there shortly after they do it...

Ok...so we know that idea sold at least one family into coming back to DL! :p

Heck...I am ready to plan to MOVE down there so I can be within a couple hours drive so I can go every week!!!!

Opus1guy
02-17-2006, 02:24 PM

But there's already a loop in the regular Space Mountain. Did you miss it?

Rockit Mountain is when they run the attraction backwards. They also play the soundtrack backwards which makes for a pretty otherworldly experience (plus, if you listen closely, you'll here the words, "I buried Walt").

Another Dimension
02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Look at haunted mansion holiday and it's a small world holiday. People come just to see those rides and they're extrememly popular.

....and both were/are very incredibly imaginative takes, retakes, remakes of classic attractions.
The concepts of, and final products of, which still blow me away.

Disney took these globally legendary attractions and overlaid similar, yet almost completely different themed stories, plots, theming over them and they are seasonally even more popular than they are normally as indisputable, undeniable legends in amusement entertainment.

Without a doubt. Great things, great minds, only Disney.

But then... this is Disney.

Now they have even blown themselves away (idea and concept-wise anyway -- I haven't RockIt-ed yet, soI can't say beyond idea and concept).... but freakin Disney has even outdone themselves in idea and concept alone.. again!!

They have over-laid a NEW SHOW inside Space Mountain that isn't going to sadden or anger seasonally visiting (and thusly missing out) on the other ride/show Guests the way HMH and IaSWH do.
Amazing Idea!

The attraction will change at the implementation of a different control mod as part of the attractions (show) computer programming and not take 3 weeks or longer to change the show. Different POV of same .. Amazing Idea!

Disneyland already had an amazingly popular ride. It wasn't safe to ride anymore, so instead of rebuilding it exactly the same, Disney decided to make some (yet some of us see many) changes. That's pretty Amazing in itself.

Disney has a very popular Space Mtn Ver 2 right now, with or without the
50th crowds, it would be just as popular.. but then Disney needs a second launch for the 2nd summer of the 50th ... cue ROCK IT MOUNTAIN. Which doesn't need a refurb to install and needs mininal (if that) downtime to run.
Amazing Idea!

Disney has taken the amazingly incredible and popular idea of another madeover/enhanced/plussed and yet newly themed same attraction... and went nuts with it. No extended refurb, no down time, no seasonally visiting Guests missing out on it if they visit during a set up or break down refurb = NEW SHOW with LITTLE guest hassles, if any!

Only Disney.

....and that all just blows me away about Space and Rock It ... Even before riding it.

Mark Goldhaber
02-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Rockit Mountain is when they run the attraction backwards. They also play the soundtrack backwards which makes for a pretty otherworldly experience (plus, if you listen closely, you'll here the words, "I buried Walt").

And the identification plate on the back of the rockets changes to "66IF" :geek:

PapiBear
02-18-2006, 06:49 AM
OK - flame me now - but none of your items on your list are rides - they are attractions. There is only one ride at the DLR - according to Disney.THANK YOU. I learned the proper terminology way back in the 70s, and you are most certainly correct.

PapiBear
02-18-2006, 06:50 AM

:):D

MissKIA
02-18-2006, 07:27 AM
OK - flame me now - but none of your items on your list are rides - they are attractions. There is only one ride at the DLR - according to Disney.

So which one is the "ride"?