PDA

View Full Version : 50th photo collages

Pages : [1] 2

mi_mous
02-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know what is going to happen to the photo collages that are currently in the park? I'm wondering cause we are in a few of them.

I really would like to see them make a book with all the collages in it, so I can at least find myself in the 20,000 Leagues under the sea one, and in Steamboat Willie.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-16-2006, 11:38 AM
I am in the same ones as you! Also Buzz and Finding Nemo. I never did find our photos when we were there. I looked VERY hard, but, most are so high up in the air, we would never see them, so, I took photos of the collages themselves and put them in my photo album with the list of where we're located. :) I've wondered if they will take them down too!!!

Petersgj
02-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know what is going to happen to the photo collages that are currently in the park? I'm wondering cause we are in a few of them.

I really would like to see them make a book with all the collages in it, so I can at least find myself in the 20,000 Leagues under the sea one, and in Steamboat Willie.

I was wondering that myself. I was hoping they would make posters or books or something out of them. My family is in some as well, and we haven't been able to make it to the 50th celebration yet.

mi_mous
02-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I am in the same ones as you! Also Buzz and Finding Nemo. I never did find our photos when we were there. I looked VERY hard, but, most are so high up in the air, we would never see them, so, I took photos of the collages themselves and put them in my photo album with the list of where we're located. :) I've wondered if they will take them down too!!!

I would love to be in Nemo!!

evrythngwmn
02-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Perhaps if enough people suggest it, making a book is something they might consider. I'd love to see a book.

Petersgj
02-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Perhaps if enough people suggest it, making a book is something they might consider. I'd love to see a book.

They certainly would have an easy sell. I think contact information was required as part of the picture submittal. All they have to do is contact everyone via email or snail mail that had a picture accepted, and I'll bet a lot of them would purchase a poster or book.....I know I would.

Tinkermommy
02-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Lucky you guys! A friend and I agonized over which pictures to send, making sure our kids looked cute, appropriate -- and sent a bunch. We kept checking and checking the machines every time we went, and kept getting the message that they were still working on the collages.

Finally, one day, the machine gave both of us the message that our pictures weren't used. We were SO sad, especially because we know so many families that had many of their pictures used -- some even duplicated. Another family with my last name had 15 of their pictures used! (I had plenty of time to count, because their name kept coming up when I looked for mine -- LOL.)

I seriously regretted all the time we spent going through our Disneyland photos and wasting the energy to send them in. We knew there was a chance they wouldn't be used, but it was heartbreaking to learn they'd used bunches from other families and even duplicated photos. It left us feeling like they'd just thrown the thing together. Oh well..call me a bitter, petty woman...LOL

Another Dimension
02-16-2006, 03:01 PM

I have 1 in 20k and several in Steamboat.. and as with you, I can't actually find any of them.

I have found my few in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.. and am still often searching in the others the kiosk said I was in. But I have pretty much given up on the 20k and Steamboat ones.

The 'curtain' surrounding the Steamboat mosaic blocks way too many CM's (and thusly Happiest Faces) pics at the top. I wish Disney had designed the Steamboat Willie mosaics surrounding decorations better suited to finding ones pics. :|

I really do think the Happiest Faces on Earth mosaics are overall REALLY COOL though.
I was very happy when I found out at least one of my pics is on display (sorta) inside DISNEYLAND!
....and I was SO HAPPY the day I found my first one.
It really is a great feeling and uniquely special thing... at a very great and special place, at a very great and special time IMO! :D

Another Dimension
02-16-2006, 03:02 PM

Book! Book! Book!

I'm with ya!! :D

mi_mous
02-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Lucky you guys! A friend and I agonized over which pictures to send, making sure our kids looked cute, appropriate -- and sent a bunch. We kept checking and checking the machines every time we went, and kept getting the message that they were still working on the collages.

Finally, one day, the machine gave both of us the message that our pictures weren't used. We were SO sad, especially because we know so many families that had many of their pictures used -- some even duplicated. Another family with my last name had 15 of their pictures used! (I had plenty of time to count, because their name kept coming up when I looked for mine -- LOL.)

I seriously regretted all the time we spent going through our Disneyland photos and wasting the energy to send them in. We knew there was a chance they wouldn't be used, but it was heartbreaking to learn they'd used bunches from other families and even duplicated photos. It left us feeling like they'd just thrown the thing together. Oh well..call me a bitter, petty woman...LOL

I heard that they used at least one from every entry that they were given. It may have been a rumor, but I am so sad for you. Did you check to see if the people with the same name had any of yours in theirs? (I'm sure you probably did, since you checked the times that you were there.) Did you e-mail them, or send them?
I feel so bad for you! I also know some people that had a lot of photos in all the collages.

Tinkermommy
02-16-2006, 04:02 PM
We both e-mailed them, and we know they received them because they sent confirmations. They were sent in multiple e-mails.

I think the worst part was that before we found out no photos of ours were used, we'd look at the pictures in the collages. We thought they were SO cute, and noticed they'd even used pictures of things that you couldn't tell had anything to do with Disney -- most notably, water and rocks. It was quite a blow to see they chose ROCKS over our kids. (I swear, they're not ugly kids -- LOL.)

In any case, they most assuredly did NOT use one of everybody's pictures. They used many of some families, used single pictures in multiple collages, and used absolutely none of other families.

I know this sounds awful, but now, we avoid even looking at the collages. I guess you'd have to know what freaks we are to understand why. An example: we pulled our kids out of school for three days to be at Disneyland on 5/5/05 -- during the middle of CAT-6 testing (annual standardized testing here in Calif). Of course, we were there for 7/17/05 too. In fact, our annual passes renew on 7/17 each year.

Needless to say, we were so excited to have the chance to have our kids' faces posted inside Disneyland -- even knowing that we'd probably never be able to see them if they were up high. We knew they might not use them, but finding out what they did use instead was really discouraging.

Frankly, I wish they'd lied and told us they'd used a picture or two, and told us it was in one of the collages you can't even get close to. We wouldn't have cared...we would have been thrilled just to get to be a little bit of a part of it all. Ah, well...whatcha gonna do?

mi_mous
02-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I soo understand your frustrations!! And, I think we do understand how much you love Disney.. we were there on the 5th too!! I loved being there on the 5th! We didn't make it on the 17th, but I wanted to go. we figured we had already gone on the 5th, and had our chance to witness "opening day".
But, I do understand what you mean about having pictures of things that are not Disney on there. I have seen studio portraits sent in as a Disney picture. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be you and a trip to Disneyland, etc. Technically, when you think about it, DCA pictures should not even be in there. But, they really didn't say anything about the types of pictures (well, they did, but apparently, a lot of people didn't listen), so they just used them all.. if they matched.
That was the whole condition.. they had to match someplace they needed to be.
I don't know what your colors or backgrounds were, but you would think that it would have fit somewhere, right?
I'm sad for you! I really am! I think it's heartbreaking as well.. to know that you sent photos in, and took the time to do it, and then nothing... that sucks!:crying: :( :mad:

Tinkermommy
02-16-2006, 04:54 PM
I soo understand your frustrations!! I'm sad for you! I really am! I think it's heartbreaking as well.. to know that you sent photos in, and took the time to do it, and then nothing... that sucks!:crying: :( :mad:

Awww...what a sweetheart you are!! I'm getting over my mad just from reading your posts. You should work at Guest Relations! :)

I Heart Disneyland!
02-16-2006, 05:03 PM
I would love to be in Nemo!!

Well, DL tells me we're in it, but, I have yet to find it! ha! :p

WITron
02-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I also sent in numerous pictures of Disneyland pictures and none of ours were used. I was really excited when I heard about this and a little dissapointed that none of ours were used, esapecially with so many of the collages around the parks.

Abigail's Uncle
02-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Our printout stated that several of our pics were used. Most were impossible to see, but the one location that should've been visible -- well the picture simply wasn't there. We went over and over it many times just to be sure we were looking in the right place, but it was a little disheartening.

Elderp
02-17-2006, 12:37 AM

Wow, you are the first person I have heard of that didn't get selected. If it is any consolilation I am in 5 posters but I have yet to find one of them.

evrythngwmn
02-17-2006, 12:47 AM

If you go often or have the time on a trip I'd still study them. I sent in numerous photos and haven't found myself in the computer. However, I've really studied the ones I can get up close to and have found some of my photos. I also think it depends when you sent them in. I've found the first collages that went up have a lot of the Cast Member photos they took for the kick off photo stunt and misc photos (like that breakfast smiley plate). I sent my photos in just before the original December deadline and the collages that I found my photos in were collages that went up later.

evrythngwmn
02-17-2006, 01:02 AM
I think the worst part was that before we found out no photos of ours were used, we'd look at the pictures in the collages. We thought they were SO cute, and noticed they'd even used pictures of things that you couldn't tell had anything to do with Disney -- most notably, water and rocks. It was quite a blow to see they chose ROCKS over our kids. (I swear, they're not ugly kids -- LOL.)

Like I said in the post above this the early collages don't have a lot of guest photos. I think this was because they had to start making the things but didn't initially get a lot of guest photos. So it seems they used photos of things and cast members. I spoke to some people involved with the photo collecting and the initial submission numbers were really dismal. Like I told the girl, it's not like they were just asking for a can of soup which you could readily grab off your shelf. As you said in your initial post it took time to choose photos to submit. I talked it up to many friends. Most thought it was a neat idea but couldn't be bothered to look through their photos. This is why they started sending people out into the park to take photos and extended the original deadline.

Ok, I'm done now.

BQ2
02-17-2006, 05:50 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/flick.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/flickclose.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/monsters.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/monstersclose.jpg

We were lucky, some of ours got in :)

Same picture twice, Noah with blue shirt/ hat with Chip. :D

Vegitabeta
02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/flick.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/flickclose.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/monsters.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/BQ2/monstersclose.jpg

We were lucky, some of ours got in :)

Same picture twice, Noah with blue shirt/ hat with Chip. :D
No offence, but why are they using photos twice and then not using other people's?

TTFN92
02-17-2006, 12:17 PM
They used one picture of me in about 5 or 6 different pictures. I have found almost all of my pictures. The only ones that I couldn't find were the ones in Steamboat Willie that were too high and in 20,000 LUS. I also have pictures in Lion King, Mr. Incredible, Jessie, Woody, and the Dragon. I had a hard time finding the one in the Dragon because I was actually looking at the wrong picture. The only Dragon pic I saw was the Fantasmic one in NOS, but it was actually in FL on the castle wall. I was lucky enough to be in the bottom so I could find it. It took me a long time to find them in SW, but my patience paid off. That is where they used the most variety of my pics, 6 of them that I can think of. All the others, except for Lion King, were the same pic. Maybe those mosaics were completed when they didn't have many to choose from so they had to do with what they had. I feel bad that others didn't get their pics in. I have taken pics of some of them. I'd post them but I don't know how. One problem with a book would be that it would be hard to see after they shrunk it that much, especially SW. We took a video of most of them.

mi_mous
02-17-2006, 02:11 PM
One problem with a book would be that it would be hard to see after they shrunk it that much, especially SW. We took a video of most of them.

The book that I imagine them creating would be one where the pictures are big enough so that you can see the pictures in the pictures. So, they would have to have the pictures fold out in order to fit them in, and make it worthwhile for those that are in the pictures.

Another Dimension
02-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Our printout stated that several of our pics were used. Most were impossible to see, but the one location that should've been visible -- well the picture simply wasn't there. We went over and over it many times just to be sure we were looking in the right place, but it was a little disheartening.

It's best to look in a 20 pictures or so square area around where the kiosks have said your picture would be.
It's also best using a digital camera with a good zoom, for looking for pics that aren't 'exactly' where the kiosks said they would be, especially in the higher and larger mosaics.

The kiosk said my pic in the Sleeping Beauty mosaic was "on the Princes head". But it's actually (and approx, it has been 7 months) 9 pics up and 7 pics across from what is actually (visually) 'the Princes head'.

Also... newer mosaics have been added to both parks, since May 5th and since July 17th. Guests who have sent pics and were told they were not used previously ...may... have had their pics used since, in one of the newer mosaics.
I suggest checking again.. and good luck.

I really mean it!!! :)
Anyone who sent a Disneyland picture (memory) and wasn't used I feel bad for. Especially because there are pics with Shamu, Spongebob, Spiderman, Snoopy, Jaws from USH, pictures from Epcot, MGM and DAK, X from SFMM, Ghostrider and Xcelerator from KBF, kids in front of their Christmas tree in their homes, kids with sandcastles at the beach and many other --IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM Disneyland--, pics in a large number of the mosaics. :confused:

I absolutely love the mosaics... it was an awesome idea and they came out looking great ... but the pic selection process should have been much more than just potentially usable colors, it should have been to insure the inclusion of 100% Disney pics.

It's obvious Disney received a lot of pics they had to look thru before the mosaic creating software got a hold of them, but (obviously) ALL the pics had to ALL be checked for potential offensive content... when that arduous screening was done the content should have been better edited down to Disney(land) memories only.
Just my opinion.

......also, Disney... Book! Book! Book! ;)

Tinkermommy
02-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Especially because there are pics with Shamu, Spongebob, Spiderman, Snoopy, Jaws from USH, pictures from Epcot, MGM and DAK, X from SFMM, Ghostrider and Xcelerator from KBF, kids in front of their Christmas tree in their homes, kids with sandcastles at the beach and many other --IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM Disneyland--, pics in a large number of the mosaics. :confused:

Thank you for articulating my point so well!! That's what was so painful - seeing that they chose pictures that had NOTHING to do with Disneyland over our kids obviously in Disneyland. Rocks?? Seascapes? Ouch!

Looking at the collages, it's been my opinion that the color content wasn't that relevant, because they seem to have "shaded" the pictures. We did take color into consideration when we chose our photos, and have seen many that were similar in content/color (ie, kid with Minnie) and were used.

From the time we got the first "Be the twinkle in Mickey's eye!" announcement, we hoped to have one little pic used. We sent them late in the process, close to (but before) the deadline, and started checking as soon as they put the machines in (which I believe was shortly after 5/5/05). We checked every single time we visited the parks until we finally got the "we didn't use you" message. Since then, we've pretended the collages don't exist....LOL