PDA

View Full Version : The Magical Monte Cristo

Pages : [1] 2

5-4-fun
02-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Everyone,
We will be at DL during the POTC and BB closure. Our last DL trip, the BB lunch on the river was my absolute favorite meal!!! *Pure Disney Magic* The Monte Cristo and Mint Julep were so wonderful, I will be sad :crying: to miss them on this trip. Are there any other places to eat in DL or DCA that offer the Monte Cristo by chance? Probably wishful thinking, just thought I would ask anyway!:)

stan4d_steph
02-16-2006, 09:07 AM
There is no other place to get the Monte Cristo at DLR. Brennan's Cafe in DTD has some food that you might enjoy, but no Monte Cristo.

cstephens
02-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Rumour has it that when the Blue Bayou is closed, French Market sometimes offers the Monte Cristo. Couldn't hurt to check.

geoffa
02-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi Everyone,
We will be at DL during the POTC and BB closure. Our last DL trip, the BB lunch on the river was my absolute favorite meal!!! *Pure Disney Magic* The Monte Cristo and Mint Julep were so wonderful, I will be sad :crying: to miss them on this trip. Are there any other places to eat in DL or DCA that offer the Monte Cristo by chance? Probably wishful thinking, just thought I would ask anyway!:)

Yet again:

THE RECIPE.................

CURRANT JELLY SAUCE

2/3 c. currant jelly, 1 Tbs. water, 1 Tbs. half and half

Combine jelly, water and half and half in blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 3/4 cup.

FRUIT COMPOTE

Combine your favorite fresh and canned fruits and chill well. Plan about 1/2 cup per person.

BATTER

2/3 c. water, 1 small egg, 1/2 Tsp. salt, 1/8 Tsp. white pepper, 1/8 yellow food coloring, 2/3 cp. all-purpose flour, 1 3/4 tea. baking powder

Place water, egg, salt, pepper and food coloring in a bowl and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill. Makes enough for 4 sandwiches.

SANDWICHES

8 slices white bread, 4 slices turkey (1 oz. each), 4 slices swiss cheese, 4 slices Pullman ham

Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between hand and turkey. Cut into fourths and put a toothpick through each quarter.

FINAL PREPARATION

Soybean or vegetable oil for frying, Confectioners' sugar, Fruit compote Currant jelly sauce

Heat about 6-inches of oil to 340F in a fryer. Dip sandwiches in batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden brown, turning as needed. Remove from oil, take out toothpicks, sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar. Serve with fruit compote and currant jelly sauce.

ENJOY!:)

5-4-fun
02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I will definately check out the French Market, some hope is better than none. Thanks for the recipe. I will have to give that a try! Although it won't be the same not sitting in the candlelight by the "river".
Thanks for all your help!

02-17-2006, 05:28 AM
Yet again:

THE RECIPE.................

Hey, that's how you know you're Old School MousePad. Now, how do you make a DoleWhip? ;)

ktrm
02-17-2006, 08:09 AM
3894 calories per Monte Christo!!! Boy ignorance was bliss.. Oh well its vacation. I know this does not help you much, but I am staying at the Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort and they offer Monte Christos at their hotel restaurant. Maybe some other hotels do to. Probably not as good and no atmosphere but better than nothing.

Wesley815
02-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Yet again:

THE RECIPE.................Don't really need to waste your time posting it again... and again...

It's not the same as eatting one in Disneyland!

02-17-2006, 09:29 AM

Ah, the congealed filling ... the grease coagulating on the serving plate. Yes, I remember it well.

:p

CariBelle
02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm still up in the air on this sandwich lol! We are going to try and eat my birthday lunch at the BB and I'm afraid if I order the Monte Cristo (minus the ham!) I won't like it.

TikiGeek
02-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Monte Cristos are not the same since they slowed the spin on the Tea Cups - Nothing like a whole Monte Cristo and a rich dessert - then going for a fast spin at The Mad Tea Party. :eek:

BTW - I've found that Vanilla Coke is good for treating nausea. :D

gothemi
02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
3894 calories per Monte Christo!!! Boy ignorance was bliss.. Oh well its vacation. I know this does not help you much, but I am staying at the Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort and they offer Monte Christos at their hotel restaurant. Maybe some other hotels do to. Probably not as good and no atmosphere but better than nothing.

I love the Monte Cristos, but hate the fact of how bad they are for you. I found a recipe for a baked Monte Cristo with half the calories. Tasted pretty much the same. If I find it again, I will post it.

CariBelle
02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Rachel Ray has a Monte Cristo recipe in one of her cookbooks (the second one I think) that looks really good. I have yet to try it though.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-17-2006, 12:49 PM
One good reason for us NOT to go in April, but, wait til November when it's all Christmas-y at DL. :) Of course, then, we won't be able to get Bengal BBQ anymore. :crying: EVER! :crying: :crying: :crying:

CrazyTrain
02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Try the Kraft food site - there was a recipe in I think the most recent Food and Family magazine for a better for you one.

5-4-fun
02-17-2006, 03:26 PM
3894 calories per Monte Christo!!! Boy ignorance was bliss.. Oh well its vacation.

Are you serious??? That is disgusting! I am sure glad that I didn't know that when I ate it. Now I understand why it was sooo wonderful. That is almost two days worth of calories for someone my size! UGH!! But I have to say that it is worth it for your vacation.... pure bliss!!

Hakuna Makarla
02-17-2006, 05:24 PM

is that the holiday in Anaheim at the park? I hope so I am staying there a few nights.and soooo want to have one. we are also staying at the grand californian, wooo hoooo I finally get to try it out for several nights.:)
can I get one there?

ktrm
02-17-2006, 09:24 PM
is that the holiday in Anaheim at the park? I hope so I am staying there a few nights.and soooo want to have one.
can I get one there?

No sorry, the Holiday Inn Anaheim at the Park is on the corner of Ball Road and Harbor Blvd. The Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort is way out on Manchester Avenue. The Restaurant is called the American Brasserie and I saw the menu on the website dlresortinfo.com under offsite restaurants. I am assuming that the menu on the website is still current but I am not 100% sure. All the menus for the Grand Californian are also on this website. The food looks fabulous, but alas I did not see any monte christo.

mi_mous
02-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Can you order from the menu without being seated in the BB? Now that you are all raving about it, I HAVE to try one.
But, I don't know if we have waited too long to make reservations.

geoffa
02-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey, that's how you know you're Old School MousePad. Now, how do you make a DoleWhip? ;)

Since you ask:

Pineapple Dole Whip

Ingredients:
2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Instructions:

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir pineapple slush gently into whipped cream until slightly blended, in large bowl.

Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour and serve.:)

geoffa
02-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Don't really need to waste your time posting it again... and again...

But for those who are not fortunate enough to live in the US this is the only way we can reproduce the sensation. And there are still people out there in the world who don't know how to make one!:)

CrazyTrain
02-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Can you order from the menu without being seated in the BB? Now that you are all raving about it, I HAVE to try one.
But, I don't know if we have waited too long to make reservations.

Yes, you can order one to go. Just ask the host/hostess at the check in stand, and be prepared to wait for it! :)

Hakuna Makarla
02-18-2006, 03:23 PM
I do hope we can get one some where in the park, I will misas the BB and pirates this time , but I have got to have a monte!!

Chiidesu
02-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I had my first Monte Cristo last weekend--It was wonderful at first but having to eat both pieces of the sandwich made it not-as-wonderful :rolleyes: It was just so big that I couldn't enjoy the taste anymore after the first portion. Oh, and my dad thought it was chicken at first xD

TTFN92
02-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Since you ask:

Pineapple Dole Whip

Ingredients:
2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Instructions:

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir pineapple slush gently into whipped cream until slightly blended, in large bowl.

Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour and serve.:)

Ooooo! I need to take a dessert to a family party tomorrow and I was thinking of doing homemade ice cream. Maybe I'll do this instead. YUMMY!

BTW, how much does that make?