PDA

View Full Version : Who here has memories of Tomorowland 1967?

Sub Maniak
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Who has memories of the popular(in my idea) Tomorowland! The one with Peoplemover, ATIS, and Rocket Jets. Share!

tinker3
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I wasn't born for another few years, but I do have memories as a child in the 70's - 80's. I remeber the people mover, I loved it I am not sure why but it was just fun to be up there and look around the park and relax for a little while. My favorite ride that I remember was the Microscope (not sure if that was what it was called) I remember waiting in line and looking up at the Microscope and wondering how did everyone shrink????

Sub Maniak
02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
I today like to make models of ATIS! I wish I could get lucky and buy an artifact from it.

MsYumiBr
02-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Peoplemover smelled like burned rubber, AJTIS freaked me out *every* time (like Haunted Mansion did with that screaming ghoul) and I *loved* watching the fireworks from rocket rods. These, however, were not memories from 1967. I was only a 1 yr. old and only appreciated IASW.

Sub Maniak
02-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Our current tomorowland was very bad in 2003,2004! No Space Mountain, Rocket Rods, or subs! Now with subs back just bring back peoplemover and Tomorowland could be itself again.

Opus1guy
02-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I was there during those years. I posted in an already existing thread about the 1967 Tomorrowland:

As exciting as the overall feeling was about the New [1967] Tomorrowland opening, I recall the Grand Opening Ceremony itself seemed very "corporate" to me. All the Chairman of the Boards of all these Blue Chip companies, Monsanto, Bell System, General Electric, GoodYear, etc, etc...getting up and giving dopey dull speeches about the future and their companies. Everything was very strict and orderly, right down to the trumpeters. Aaah, but the land itself...it was such a great place...a world on the move.

Contrasted with the total hoot of the Grand Opening of Pirates, in which Charlie Ridgway (head of Disneyland PR at the time) had concocted this whole elaborate shtick where the Columbia (dressed up as a Pirate Ship) full of cut-throat and inebriated pirates...tumbled off the ship and stormed the front door of Pirates, tearing off the wooden shutters and opening her up and then beckoning everyone to follow! Their ringleader and Captain was none other than Wally Boag in Pirate garb. Frankly, I don't think many of those stunt guys and actors were acting inhebriated...if you know what I mean! It was pretty fun and funny.

I'll add to that that I recall the palatable feeling all around about the very recent death of Walt during those days. There was all this excitement about the new stuff, but that was somewhat tempered with the questions on everyone's lips about the future without Walt. There was also growing uneasiness developing between generations at that time. The "Generation Gap" was really hitting middle American at about that time with both barrels, and Big Corporations and Disney were starting to get painted as part of the whole "establishment" during these Vietnam days. I've often commented that I sort of feel that Walt passed away at just the right time. Not sure how his conservatism would have manifested itself when things really heated up. He sort of checked-out right at the tale end of the optimistic Eisenhower era. A lot of right-wing adults pretty much made fools of themselves in those days. Some of them made Archie Bunker look like a bloody liberal! ;) Still...I'd say they were generally very optimist times within the world of Disney and with the average Guest.

Tomorrowland was "the" land in those days...especially for young people. It was quite the hangout for young men and women in those days, especially at night. Elbows to elbows all night long, with not only the attractions pulling them in, but the various entertainment and rock bands and dancing at both Tomorrowland Terrace and the huge Tomorrowland Stage (where Space Mountain is now). It's where a lot of Orange County youth went to "pick up" members of the opposite or same sex. Back then it was only a few bucks to purchase a General Admission Ticket (entry to Disneyland only...no rides except the "free" ones). But Monsanto was free...and that was all the ride a lot of young men and women needed. ;)

TENORDRUMMER
02-15-2006, 10:06 PM
I loved Monsanto as a kid, especially going by the microscope and seeing that big eye staring at you. I loved the People Mover and going through the Character Shop, Progress City (model of EPCOT) and seeing all the flags in the waiting room of America The Beautiful. Speaking of ATB, I loved that presentation, seeing America in the round. At the exit I remember those phone booths you could sit in with a group of people and talk on a speaker phone to the outside world. But my absolute fav was Carousel of Progress. I would go on that over and over again. I absolutely loved that attractions. Then there was Mission to the Moon and then Mission to Mars and those vibrating seats when the rocket blasted off. Wow, those were the days!! I wish they made an actual Yesterdayland where these treasured attractions can be showcased again. I know, get rid of DCA and substitute Yesterdayland there.

02-16-2006, 04:17 AM
There was also growing uneasiness developing between generations at that time. The "Generation Gap" was really hitting middle American at about that time with both barrels, and Big Corporations and Disney were starting to get painted as part of the whole "establishment" during these Vietnam days

In those days, mainstream media hadn't caught up to the youthquake. Disneyland had a clean-cut image that was more Lawrence Welk than Jefferson Airplane. Disneyland was not hip but it was fun.

In 1967, I was 10. Tomorrowland was my favorite by far. It had the perfect blend of attractions, including free ones good for air-conditioning after a long, hot wait for Autopia or the Submarine Voyage.

stan4d_steph
02-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Who has memories of the popular(in my idea) Tomorowland! The one with Peoplemover, ATIS, and Rocket Jets. Share!Do you have memories to share? Let's hear yours too!

Stupid_American
02-16-2006, 04:28 PM
To this day, even as a weekly visitor, I always miss the "House of the Future" everytime I enter Tomorrowland.

sixwoofys
02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
It was wonderful. I was 8 in 1967. I remember:

The microscope ride with the big eye that looked at you -- Loved it
The people mover (now I love it but when younger it bored me).
The submarine ride -- ALL TIME FAVORITE
Carousel of Progerss -- LOVE IT -- but bored when I was younger
The Trip to the Moon -- LOVED IT -- I actually thought we went to the moon!
Rockets -- Liked it -- elevator ride to the top- memory
Motor Boat Ride -- Liked it
Autopia -- Loved it.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I was there during those years. I posted in an already existing thread about the 1967 Tomorrowland:
;)

I would absolutely LOVE to see your photo collection of your years going to DL. Your stories about family meeting there on the weekend and having a picnic and listening to the music (that was you, right?) sound so magical!!!

I've been going since about 1967, when I was 6. Of course, I didn't go as often as I'd like as we lived in Phx. My memories are more of POTC.

darph nader
02-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Doe's 1969 count? Waiting 15 min. for PM ,ATIS ,Carosell the music at TOMMOROW LAND TERRACE,(quote) those were the GOOD times!:cool:

Opus1guy
02-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Waiting 15 min. for PM

Yeah...I remember waiting that long and longer for PeopleMover. Sometimes they didn't know where to put the line! :)

They were indeed fun times. Even waiting in the lines just seemed different than it does today. Tomorrowland and things like the PeopleMover seemed more exciting. The sights, the smells. At the tail end of it's life, hardly anyone was go, go, going GoodYear any longer. :(

The smell of the Autopia on a crystal clear sunny day...it smelled like, like Victory! ;)

I don't know. Maybe I'm just more jaded now. Maybe younger folks feel the same way when they go on Indy today.

potzbie
02-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Of those rides, the one which I liked best was FLIGHT TO THE MOON.

The ride simulated G-forces.
Being so young, it took me a long time to figure out how they made it feel like you were pressed down into your seat.
(The bottom of the seat would rise, thus giving the feeling of you going deeper, harder, into the seat, thus the G-force.)
(To simulate the weightless of space, the bottom of your seat was pulled down, thus giving you the feeling that you lost 20 pounds, i.e., less pressure on your butt, like you were starting to rise out of your seat.)

The shudder of the building when you took off was really good.

The circular viewing screens, top and bottom, were like a glass-bottom boat.
You saw the earth drop away, per the bottom screen, as the top screen showed the moon growning bigger, as you approached it.

Before the ride, you got to see the control room.
The tour guide "asked" the (audio-animatronic) lead engineer questions about the trip.
During the "interview", a red-light alert would occur, and everyone would turn to the control room screens to see what triggered the red-alert.
It was an albatross, landing, poorly -- in SLOW MOTION!
(Ha ha ha.)
So that was the pre-show.

When it was changed to "Mission to Mars" (because Apollo had been to the moon, and the simulation therefore was no longer "realistic" per television and newspaper reports of how Apollo did it), it was still good.
We flew to Mars, and got to be "tour-guided" by a Mars astronaut, who demonstrated the weight difference on Mars, as compared to earth, by leaping off the surface of Mars.

Man, I didn't know I remembered SO MUCH.
I must have liked the ride a lot.

Now, there's a ride that would be entertaining still, in 2006.
I don't know why Disneyland ever closed up that ride.
From top to bottom, I liked every inch, every second.

I wonder if I would like the WDW equivalent. -- They say it is intense.

MsYumiBr
02-17-2006, 05:09 AM
I remember Mission to Mars.

"Daddy, what's an albatross?"

"A sea bird":rolleyes:

02-17-2006, 05:32 AM
The submarine ride -- ALL TIME FAVORITE

Me, too.

jdee
02-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the memories! I really enjoyed Tomorrowland back then, especially the Carosel of Progress. Tomorrowland gave us a look into the future and it was exciting. I have to admit, watching the Asimo demonstation is amazing. I couldn't believe I was watching a robot do all those things. Hopefully there is still a great big beautiful tomorrow...