PDA

View Full Version : Whats with Harriss and the classics?

Pages : [1] 2

Sub Maniak
02-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Cynthia Harris seems to be a bit harsh towards a few cared about attractions don't you think?

adriennek
02-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Uhm, Cynthia Harriss left Disneyland some time ago???

Adrienne

AVP
02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Cynthia Harris seems to be a bit harsh towards a few cared about attractions don't you think?No, considering Ms. Harriss left the Disney company in October of 2003.

AVP

Opus1guy
02-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Personally, I don't think she cares one way or the other these days.

;)

Sub Maniak
02-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Uhm, Cynthia Harriss left Disneyland some time ago???

Adrienne
So thats why the Matterhorn and Haunted Mansion are still open!

cstephens
02-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't see why an inconsequential fact like someone having left the company several years ago should have any bearing on someone's ability to criticize that person's responsibility for what is going on at the park today...

Sub Maniak
02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm just looking back on the Sad CBJ closure! Not on todays!

newhdplayer
02-15-2006, 07:09 PM
They closed CBJ?

newhdplayer
02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Did we lay down a wreath of flowers to mourn the passing of CBJ?

Sub Maniak
02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
They sure did! The end of the Vacation Hoedown for Disneyland. I wonder where the bears are now!

Looking at Pooh today! I don't think it's better at attracting visitors than CBJ!

When I read an article abot the closure of CBJ in Disneyland Ms.Harriss' quote on the matter was a bit harsh!

Opus1guy
02-15-2006, 08:19 PM
When I read an article abot the closure of CBJ in Disneyland Ms.Harriss' quote on the matter was a bit harsh!

- The hunting of wild animals and mounting them still alive on the wall!

- A bunch of half-inebriated bears promoting illegal moonshine whiskey!

- A half-bare bear floozy coming down from "upstairs" (we all know what's up there) and soliciting "visitors!"

- Blood on the saddle!

- Country music!

- Elvis impersonators!

'sno wonder they shut the darn thing down.

:)

hbquikcomjamesl
02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
They closed CBJ over a decade ago, when they opened that abomination called Vacation Hoedown. When they closed that, they replaced it with, ahem, a much less malodorous kind of "Pooh."

Fortunately, the CBJ the timeless ORIGINAL CBJ, is still running, for the foreseeable future, in WDW-MK, where they realized what an instantly-dated dog VH was, and kicked it out in favor of a return to the timeless ORIGINAL.

cstephens
02-15-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm still mad at Cynthia for taking out "America Sings".

Another Dimension
02-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Cynthia closed Adventure Thru Inner Space ... several years before she worked for Disney.

Boo Cynthia!

Cynthia.. ..hugs! ;)
She was always very nice to me!

Also... Cynthia Harriss brought us Believe (both of them) and Haunted Mansion Holiday under her
tragic reign ( :rolleyes: )

I will never be able to thank her (and Steven Davison) enough for those great things or the wonderful memories I have because of them.

ChipmunkStar
02-15-2006, 11:29 PM
They closed CBJ over a decade ago, when they opened that abomination called Vacation Hoedown. When they closed that, they replaced it with, ahem, a much less malodorous kind of "Pooh."

Fortunately, the CBJ the timeless ORIGINAL CBJ, is still running, for the foreseeable future, in WDW-MK, where they realized what an instantly-dated dog VH was, and kicked it out in favor of a return to the timeless ORIGINAL.

EW! Seriously? My friends and I just watched the "classic" version last week, and I couldn't wai until the doors opened so we could get out of that theater! Maybe its cuz I was raised on Vacation Hoedown, but I miss ours terribly after that...

Opus1guy
02-15-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm still mad at Cynthia for taking out "America Sings".

I'm still mad at Cynthia for that thing she replaced the Parking Lot with.

;)

Another Dimension
02-16-2006, 01:13 AM
^^^^
Well that's just great.. because some of us freakin' love DCA! hehe. :D

...and DCA was hardly Ms Harriss's decision.

Hello... Burbank?!?

Opus1guy
02-16-2006, 09:00 AM
...and DCA was hardly Ms Harriss's decision.

Hello... Burbank?!?

Not solely. And there's certainly plenty of "blame" to go around on that front!

But she was President of it, and by all accounts she was a champion of the concept, did not express opinions against it, and seemed to willingly participate in the massive budget cuts as they were continually handed down.

A President of a division, does have a lot of say. And the stronger the President, the less Burbank feels the need to get involved. Not just Californian Adventure, but there were many areas where that management team just seemed to go along with any hair brained idea that came out of Burbank. At least current Disneyland Resort top management has some...um, well...you know...those things, as well as having some underlying knowledge of what makes a Disney park "Disney." And that ain't just a collection of Disney attractions under some half-baked idea of a theme.

Compared to current Disneyland Resort top management, it's my opinion that the previous regime were "yes" men and women when it came to dealing with ideas from Burbank. At least the current regime seems to value ideas from Glendale as well.

She's a good manager and a nice lady. But I don't think she did Disneyland justice, IMHO. She did some good things, but also did many bad things or allowed them to happen. The medical profession has a pledge: "First, do no harm." I think this should be criteria for all Disney execs when dealing with the hugely successful base of design knowledge and traditions that have long established Disney as the leader in this field. For a reason.

Sub Maniak
02-16-2006, 11:58 AM
She has probably made the record for the most E-Tickets to be closed!! Was it also her decision to leave the carousel theater abandoned after closing America Sings?

She was a kind of change person wasn't she?

Opus1guy
02-16-2006, 12:16 PM
She has probably made the record for the most E-Tickets to be closed!! Was it also her decision to leave the carousel theater abandoned after closing America Sings?

She was a kind of change person wasn't she?

I don't know, No, and I don't quite understand the question.

Sub Maniak
02-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I ment like she wantsa to change things in the park! I mean lots of things closed!

stan4d_steph
02-16-2006, 12:39 PM
I ment like she wantsa to change things in the park! I mean lots of things closed!Perhaps you should search for old threads and read them. Please don't resurrect them though.

I think the reaction you're getting is that since she's been gone for over 2 years, this is old news and not interesting for discussion.

Burnt Toast
02-16-2006, 12:42 PM
o/~ Troll... troll troll troll troll...! o/~

Eh... sorry. Got a little carried away.

stan4d_steph
02-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Mod. Note: If you feel someone is behaving inappropriately, please contact a moderator or administrator. Personal attacks on the board are not an appropriate response. Thank you.

Another Dimension
02-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Not solely. And there's certainly plenty of "blame" to go around on that front!

But she was President of it, and by all accounts she was a champion of the concept, did not express opinions against it, and seemed to willingly participate in the massive budget cuts as they were continually handed down.

A President of a division, does have a lot of say. And the stronger the President, the less Burbank feels the need to get involved. Not just Californian Adventure, but there were many areas where that management team just seemed to go along with any hair brained idea that came out of Burbank. At least current Disneyland Resort top management has some...um, well...you know...those things, as well as having some underlying knowledge of what makes a Disney park "Disney." And that ain't just a collection of Disney attractions under some half-baked idea of a theme.

Compared to current Disneyland Resort top management, it's my opinion that the previous regime were "yes" men and women when it came to dealing with ideas from Burbank. At least the current regime seems to value ideas from Glendale as well.

She's a good manager and a nice lady. But I don't think she did Disneyland justice, IMHO. She did some good things, but also did many bad things or allowed them to happen. The medical profession has a pledge: "First, do no harm." I think this should be criteria for all Disney execs when dealing with the hugely successful base of design knowledge and traditions that have long established Disney as the leader in this field. For a reason.

Ahem...

Cynthia was not at the Corporate retreat where DCA was concieved (nor Disney's America for that matter either).. and regardless of her postion at the Disneyland Resort at that time... everything 'capital expense' the entire Resort did... was 100% controlled by Burbank corporate. DCA was not a just another fiscal budget set down by TDA for new pavers, new ODV carts, new paint, new maint budgets, new special events.

TDA did not build DCA, Disney Burbank did. Which at the time was 100% the decision of... Paul Pressler, Tom Staggs, Bob Iger and Micheal Eisner.

She was the Anaheim puppet of Burbank ... and absolutely NEVER tugged on her strings and questioned anything.

She was making cuts to improve the Disneyland bottom line to pop Wall Street...

TDA did not have a lot to do or much to do with DCA.
At least acccoring to BB and MS at WDI it didn't.

And as for 'capital expense' ... TDA's budget is paying for the general maintenance being done to the Haunted Mansion right now... but... Burbank is paying for the 'capital expenses' and rumored additions being done.
Same with Pirates... from what I was told.. Burbank is paying for all of it.