PDA

View Full Version : Tentative Plan, Comments?

Pat-n-Eil
02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
On Wednesday, March 1st I will be picking up my friend Dave at about 4:30 am and we will begin our drive down Interstate 5 to visit Disneyland. We are staying until Saturday. He hasn't been to Disneyland since the original opening of Space Mountain in 1977. I've worked with Dave for about 15 years now and this last couple of years have been rough ones personally for him. When I suggested it might be fun to just get out of town and visit Disneyland Resort, he was all for it.

At 58, Dave is about 16 years older than I am and he is not the Disneyphile that I've become. He is, however, a "young" 58. He is excitedly looking forward to the things he remembers as well as the new stuff like Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain RR, not to mention DCA. His kids were just tots when he went there last. He enjoys adult beverages and is, in fact, a bit of a wine connoisseur.

I'm telling you all of this background because I'm looking for advice - or perhaps a critique - of my rough vacation plan, which starts now:

Day 1 - Wednesday
We'll arrive approximately 12:00pm. Our room may not be ready, but we can check our bags and explore the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel. We'll find the Lost Bar, Granville's, Hooke's Point, The Wine Cellar and Goofy's Kitchen. (We have Priority Seating reservations for Goofy's on Friday morning). We'll play it by ear depending on when our room is ready but we'll also be heading to Downtown Disney where we'll likely have lunch. ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe, Ralph Brennen's and House of Blues - even Wetzel's Pretzel's are all possible lunch destinations.

After lunch we'll likely head to Disneyland. We'll look around, see what kind of FastPass times we're looking at and just take in the park. I know he's going to want to do both the exciting attractions and the more subdued. I figure we'll try to get some FPs for Space Mountain, Indy, Splash and maybe Buzz & BTMRR.. but I don't want to push too hard. I figure the Tiki Room, Billy Hill & the Hillbillies, Innoventions, etc. will get more attention this day than the next.

Depending on how we feel after the long day we may head back to the Hotel for a swim or spa, perhaps a nightcap at Uva Bar on the way or Lost Bar. I figure I'll leave the Fantasmic and/or Fireworks viewing will be up to him.

Day 2 - Thursday
We'll get up early and head to the Monorail station for an early entry into the park. I'll score all of the FastPasses I can and then we'll make our circuit of the park. We'll likely spend most of our time in Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Adventure Land, New Orleans Square and Critter Country. Neither of us have much interest in Fantasyland or Toon Town. I have camped with him before and we've dined together before but this will be our first real travel experience so I am not sure what to expect. I figure I will be doing less pushing for rides than I do with my kids, but he could surprise me. We have just one set plan on Thursday - Lunch at Blue Bayou at 12:00 with our priority seating reservations.

If the crowds get too big or the mood strikes, we may head to DCA in the afternoon. But this day is wide open after lunch.

Day 3 - Friday
This morning we go to Goofy's Kitchen at 8:30am. I figure we'll finish this and head over to the GCH and DCA. I'll show him all around DCA, and we'll do Soarin', Hollywood Backlot, Aladdin Show, I'll do Tower of Terror (he's claustrophobic and the elevator scenario is just too much for him), California Screamin', Cove Bar, GRR if the weather is ok. I don't know about Monster's Inc. we'll see. Depending on how much of a hurry we were in getting to the park, we'll look around the GCH, maybe stop at the lounge. We'll likely have a lunch/dinner at the Wine Country Trattoria. The rest of this day is wide open.

Day 4 - Saturday
This is departure day - and though we'll be able to go into the parks if we want to, I kind of doubt that we will. It is a long drive home and I like to get an early start.. but if it has been just too much fun, we may decide to run into the park and take in a couple of our favorite attractions before we go.

So what do you think? Is there something glaringly missing? I plan on hitting the shops of each area because he does like to pick up things for his grandkids and his special lady friend(s).. so main street and the other shops will not be missed. I just want to give him a memorable fun-filled vacation.

Bolivar
02-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Regarding TOT: He may be afraid of his claustrophobia because of the word elevator, but if he sees how big it is he may be fine. You might have him experience the ride with you by going through the lobby, the library with the TV intro, the basement, all the way to the loading area. He can then peak into the cars when the doors open and can decide to not load and wait for you there or he can decide that it doesn't look so bad. This is what we did with my daughter and they were very nice about it. In fact, she decided not to get on the ride so she and I waited for my wife and son. After they left she decided she wanted on and they not only let us on the next elevator, but they brought my wife and son around to ride with us -- so they got back to back rides.

Just a thought.

Pat-n-Eil
02-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Bolivar, those are all salient points. What I didn't mention was that he's not a big fan of dropping either. He likes coasters that go side to side and whip around real fast.. but he's not a fan of the stomache-in-your-throat sensation.. which I love. So even if the claustrophobia didn't get him, the drops would. I think this ride just plays on all of his worst fears.. but I think it is a good idea that he go through the queue anyway.