PDA

View Full Version : 1 day in Disneyland...

Stitch1404
02-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I have been to WDW many, many times, but never Disneyland. I am a 20 year old college student and my sister who is graduating this May is going to an audition for a character role on March 10th in Disneyland. Well, she asked me if I would be willing to tag along. Of course I said yes! We got a great last minute flight deal. We will not get into Los Angeles until late Friday night, then her audition is from 8-6 on Saturday and then we leave early Sunday. I always thought my first visit to Disneyland would be a nice long trip with my family, but I guess I was wrong!

Anyway, I will be all alone in the park on Saturday and I have a ton of questions! First of all, we need to pick a hotel. We are two college students (meaning we don't have much money) so all we really need is a clean room close to Disneyland. We don't want to spend a ton of money on cabs, are there any hotels within walking distance?

How much will a one day pass cost me? Does Disneyland have park hoppers like Disney World so I can go to both of the parks? If not, which park should I go to?

Help me plan my day! Since I have been to WDW so many times and will continue to go back often I don't want to spend time riding anything that is identical to the WDW version. Also, I don't like roller coasters. I do want to plan my day though so I hit all the great attractions and get a lot done. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE shows, parades, fireworks, etc.

I was thinking since this will be an intense day of touring mid-day I will want to do a sit-down lunch to take a break. I want to go somewhere nice, how do I call to make a reservation, and where would you recommend?

Finally, does anyone do Disneyland alone? Am I going to feel really out of place with all the families around?

Hopefully I will get a sense of what Disneyland is and some day I can plan a nice long trip out to California. This is not exactly how I would have chosen for my first Disneyland trip to be, but, hey, I'll take what I can get!

If you have time to answer even one of my questions, it would greatly help me!

Thanks! :)

cfrith
02-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Read "Disneyland alone" thread on next page!

TimBuk2
02-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Here are my tips. I live close by, but have stayed at 3 hotels that are close and reasonable.

Hotel: Check this page for customer reviews:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort

Fairfield Inn, Alamo Inn, and Carousel Inn are my experiences. And all of the local hotels have the shuttle bus ride to the parks. There must be at least 20 hotels close enough to walk there.

1 Day pass if $59, but I think they are having specials on Hoppers. Since you've never been to these parks, go to the original. And since you love shows, parades, and fireworks.

You won't feel weird there by yourself. It's still fun, just make friends in line.

Lunch: If you're inside the park, the River Belle in New Orleans Square is good. There are others, but this one is my favorite.

Be sure to check the Disneyland website for the calendar of events on your day there. Typically weekend fireworks are at 9:25pm.

Hope this helps....Have Fun!

Stitch1404
02-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I think I am going to do the Carnation Cafe for lunch. I would have liked to try Blue Bayou, but I guess it will be closed. How do I make a reservation there, or do I even need one? I am just so used to WDW where you have to make your reservations weeks and even months in advance!

I am officially going to be going solo, I think it will be great to be able to just do everything I want to do! Should I get my pass now, like online or something or can I just buy it at the gates?

Also, I am leaning toward the Howard Johnson. From all the photos I have seen it looks close, clean, and not too expensive. Is this a good choice?

Thanks!

jdee
02-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Last year for the May 5th birthday kickoff, we stayed at the Super 8 Motel. Nothing fancy, very basic, but clean and within walking distance.

MammaSilva
02-15-2006, 07:32 AM
The HoJo is roughly 2 city blocks from the crosswalk that leads to the parks...a very reasonable walk for a healthy 20 year old and I know that almost every padder that has stayed at the HoJo has had great things to say about the property. If you can get a great rate there then you're not going to be disappointed.

As for making a PS for the Carnation Cafe, I'd call and make one if only to save the wait time! I called on a Saturday and could get PS for breakfast the next morning...times were a bit 'limited' but there was a window that worked for us and nothing beats walking up and there's a long 'standby' line and you give the host/hostess your PS time and name and are seated so quickly!

I am not 100 percent sure on this but I'd call the hotel you decide on and check to see what specials they have available ticket wise, most of the local hotels offer tickets in their lobby, saving you the wait in line at the resort. Have a blast, try and make time for Billy Hill and the Hill Billys at the Golden Horseshoe, wander around NoS and listen to the street music, it's wonderful!

SandraVB79
02-15-2006, 07:42 AM
In 1998, I was a 19-year old all by myself during 1 day at DL, in 2000 the same (though 2 years older) and once again 1 day at DL, and in 2002 I was again two years older and stayed 4 days. Well, actually, I stayed longer, but teh days mentioned were "full park days"

I went each time to the Park Vue Inn, just across Disney (went last time in October 2005, with my mom, rooms got remodeled and were great!)

I don't know the park hopper's price by heart, but I think someone else mentioned it already.

I would definitely choose to visit DL and not go to DCA, especially since you don't like rollercoasters, and can go on Soarin' when you're at WDW.
Must-do's are Fantasmic! and the fireworks, and I really really really enjoyed the parade too. Other must-do attractions for me are POTC (but those will unfortunately be closed), Jungle Cruise (by day and by night!) and Minnie's House (but that's because I am Minnie-obsessed!)
Oh, and don't forget the INCREDIBLE INDY-RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked the movie they had in the Opera House, and I spent suite some time studying the exhibition. I also liked Mickey climbing the Matterhorn, and I had to cry every time I saw the rededication ceremony of Disneyland (in the morning, at Main Street Station) (yeah, I'm a sucker who cries, whatever :rolleyes: :) )

Other things that are great to do when you are all by yourself is shopping!! You can look as long as you want for the items you like.
I would also advice the River Belle Terrace for lunch, it has great views!!!!

Stitch1404
02-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Just booked the Howard Johnson!