PDA

View Full Version : Which Airport?

lionQueen
04-06-2002, 04:54 AM
Hello! We are planning a 10 day vacation in California this fall. I am looking for suggestions on airline travel. We want to start in San Diego - fly in on a Tuesday PM or Wednesday AM. We are going to stay a couple of days then go to DisneyLand on Sat. and stay until Thur. The last part of our trip we will head north to Fresno which is ~5 hour drive from Anaheim. We want to fly back on Sunday afternoon. I'm trying to determine which airport would be the most central with the least amount of hassle - we are traveling with 3 kids. Ideally I would like to fly into San Diego and fly out of Fresno, but afraid that will be cost prohibitive with 5 people flying. It looks like LAX or BUR would be the most central. Any suggestions or comments on the different airports? Any suggestions on booking cost effective one way flights? Thanks.

tjrj
04-06-2002, 08:02 AM
As a former Burbank resident, I can highly recommend their airport for less hassles, less traffic, fewer crowds over that of LAX. In terms of price however, on Orbitz and SW airlines websites, the best deals seem to be out of a larger airport such as LAX. Haven't used SD's airport nor Fresno's so can't speak to that. You may have to see what your priorities are-more convience=spend more money; less convience=spend less money.

Iceman
04-06-2002, 08:44 AM
Definitely look into flying into San Diego and out of Fresno. That's called an "open jaw" itinerary, and the airlines generally let you do it without a ridiculous bump in price.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend checking San Diego, LAX, Burbank, Ontario, Orange County, and Long Beach. Orbitz will let you type in one airport and check all the others within a certain radius, so that's probably the easiest way to go.

Good luck!

EandCDad
04-06-2002, 09:02 AM
You will definately get less hassel in Burbank or Ontario than LAX. San Diego is also easier than LAX. Orange County is easier than both but since Southwest doesn't fly from there, they generally have higher fares.

Morrigoon
04-06-2002, 05:36 PM
Burbank is a terrific commuter airport, easy in, easy out.

Orange County is lovely, 20 min from DL and nearly as easy at Burbank (is anything actually as easy as Burbank? probably not!) Downside to SNA (orange county) is that departures are practically vertical, they're so steep. Has to do with sound ordinances in the area. Burbank is probably best for you though- it's right along the 5 freeway.

lionQueen
04-08-2002, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate your input. Hopefully rates will come down over the summer so I can snag a good price for October travel. I want it all - low price and convenience! :)

mrcoffee
04-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Actually, Southwest does fly out of Orange County to PHX, at least, 4 times a day. But the rates are still high.

EandCDad
04-09-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by mrcoffee
Actually, Southwest does fly out of Orange County to PHX, at least, 4 times a day. But the rates are still high.

Yeah, looks like they fly to Vegas too. My information is way out of date I guess. Thanks for the correction.