PDA

View Full Version : Historical Pictures of Castle?

kimbopotamus
02-13-2006, 10:51 AM
I was looking around on the internet for a desktop background picture of the Thomas Kinkade Castle picture (which I couldn't find) and came across some older pictures taken of the castle. It got me curious to see other pictures of the castle and how it has changed over time. Does anyone know of a website or book that shows the changes of the castle? Like a year by year account of how it has changed since 1955? Thanks in advance!:D

Opus1guy
02-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know of a website or book that shows the changes of the castle? Like a year by year account of how it has changed since 1955? Thanks in advance!:D

I don't know of any such website, but truth be told...other than the rare paint color change from pink to blue back to the current pink in the Castle's history...and it's current special 50th "dressing"...the Castle has not changed in basic appearance since Opening Day. The biggest change would be the size of the landscaping surrounding the Castle as it's grown over the years.

At one time they let the creeping vines cover more of the Castle. And they added some small Sleeping Beauty squirrel rain spouts at one point. But other than that and the general surrounding landscaping...a photo of the Castle from 1955 and one from 2004 would be almost indistinguishable from one another.

kimbopotamus
02-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow, really? I saw one picture that was titled "Back in the day" and it looked as if the castle was made of cardboard or something, whereas now it looks more 3-dimensional. Another picture was when it was blue, and it looked alot different! Amazing what paint can do I guess:eek: Sure looks purdy right now, can't wait to see the 50th decorations for the first time in person this weekend!

Opus1guy
02-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Wow, really? I saw one picture that was titled "Back in the day" and it looked as if the castle was made of cardboard or something, whereas now it looks more 3-dimensional.

It could be possible that you were looking at a construction photo, and not a photo of the finished Castle.

Take a look at this...

http://www.disneydreamer.com/Castleconst.htm

...to see if that rings any bells.

kimbopotamus
02-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Those are great pictures! Thank you so much for posting those for me. And you're right, the castle looks exactly the same as it did when built!
I am not sure if I am supposed to do this (and I am not sure if it's gonna work), but here is the picture I was talking about. It just looks flat and 'fakey', but I guess it's just the picture!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/456026487/1456104104078594398eYIOrH

kimbopotamus
02-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Oops, deleting this post.

Opus1guy
02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Those are great pictures! Thank you so much for posting those for me. And you're right, the castle looks exactly the same as it did when built!
I am not sure if I am supposed to do this (and I am not sure if it's gonna work), but here is the picture I was talking about. It just looks flat and 'fakey', but I guess it's just the picture!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/456026487/1456104104078594398eYIOrH

It's just the picture. And one other thing. That's the Castle at Hong Kong Disneyland, not Anaheim Disneyland. Though it is an exact copy of Anaheim's.

kimbopotamus
02-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, just saw that, oopsy:rolleyes: :p

sambo
02-14-2006, 04:17 PM
The photo is also taken on a hazy day which tends to flatten detail. The Disneyland Castle currently has pink, blue, and purple washes on the stones which adds to the texture.

There was a time when the pinks and blues were washed out and very pale. The castle almost looked like a black and white illustration only with shades of gray.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-14-2006, 10:15 PM
It's just the picture. And one other thing. That's the Castle at Hong Kong Disneyland, not Anaheim Disneyland. Though it is an exact copy of Anaheim's.

I was going to say....what is that hilly thing behind the castle, and the mountain on the left? ha!

Tigertail777
02-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Plus during the 50th (and I dunno if this will be permanent or not), they added a bit of glittery stuff to the stonework, you really cant see it unless you are fairly close up.

If you really want to see the castle, flat gray and blah... look at pictures of it from the mid to late 80's when they rarely seemed to paint it and the sun bleached it pretty bad.

One other change (though its more internal) was the sleeping beauty walk through... it changed a few times and is currently gone. Just had to mention it cause I miss it so much. :crying: